Closed Thread

09-05-2016, 01:23 AM   #1
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08' M5, '09 335i, '18 M3 MT

Tested the BMW i8

Hi guys, I tested the BMW i8 and would like to share my thoughts about it with you.

Verde Mantis Green M3 F80 Manual
-
Motor Journalist from Germany and BMW Genius
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 01:48 PM   #2
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgroschi
Hi guys, I tested the BMW i8 and would like to share my thoughts about it with you.

Why people keep comparing the i8 to the Tesla ?
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34184.50
      09-05-2016, 02:58 PM   #3
SpeedChamp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgeater2 View Post
Well I don't think he COMPARED them, but of course you need to put the car in relation to the leader of this technology, in order to somewhat rank it. Should he have compared it with the Nissan Leaf so that he can say the i8 is the best? That wouldn't make much sense.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2016, 03:05 PM   #4
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:

I didn't really compare them, but as SpeedChamp said, I put them in relation to each other, because they both cost the same, both use battery tech for less or no emissions, and both want to be the future. I really don't understand why you want to commit suicide?

-
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 03:07 PM   #5
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedChamp
Quote:
Well I don't think he COMPARED them, but of course you need to put the car in relation to the leader of this technology, in order to somewhat rank it. Should he have compared it with the Nissan Leaf so that he can say the i8 is the best? That wouldn't make much sense.
The Nissan Leaf is an electric car which makes it just as silly to compare to the i8 as the Tesla.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50
      09-05-2016, 03:10 PM   #6
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf View Post
The Nissan Leaf is an electric car which makes it just as silly to compare to the i8 as the Tesla.
Okay so next time I will compare the i3 (without range extender) to the P90DL

-
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 03:12 PM   #7
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Okay so next time I will compare the i3 (without range extender) to the P90DL
The i3 with range extender is an electric car. The engine does not power the wheels it only gives power to the battery so no your sarcasm must make some sort of sense lol. Try again lol

Follow me on Insta

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 03:12 PM   #8
SpeedChamp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 M3

Quote:
You are silly. People who are in the market for an i8, would also be in the market for a Tesla. Also, BMW makes the i8 sort of like a showoff car of what the future will be like, which means, it just has to hold up against a Tesla since it's the current benchmark. And I find it quite ridiculous that the i8 offers so little for that price. Sure, the carbonfiber cell is nice, but no distance control or steering assist? Well, at least not for me
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #9
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
The i3 with range extender is an electric car. The engine does not power the wheels it only gives power to the battery so no your sarcasm must make some sort of sense lol. Try again lol
I know it is. But either way you would have tried to counter me. The i3 with range extender still needs to be filled up with gasoline, and it still has a combustion motor onboard. Calling that an electric car is sort of ridiculous imo. We also don't call hydrogen fuel cell cars, electric cars, do we?

-
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #10
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
You are silly. People who are in the market for an i8, would also be in the market for a Tesla. Also, BMW makes the i8 sort of like a showoff car of what the future will be like, which means, it just has to hold up against a Tesla since it's the current benchmark. And I find it quite ridiculous that the i8 offers so little for that price. Sure, the carbonfiber cell is nice, but no distance control or steering assist? Well, at least not for me
You can be in the market for an Suv and a station wagon. Doesn't mean it's an apples to apples comparison.

Follow me on Insta

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 03:16 PM   #11
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I know it is. But either way you would have tried to counter me. The i3 with range extender still needs to be filled up with gasoline, and it still has a combustion motor onboard. Calling that an electric car is sort of ridiculous imo. We also don't call hydrogen fuel cell cars, electric cars, do we?
It's not a plugin hybrid which is what the i8 is. The i3 with range extender is still an electric car. It's a totally different technology to the i8.

Follow me on Insta

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 03:34 PM   #12
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
It's not a plugin hybrid which is what the i8 is. The i3 with range extender is still an electric car. It's a totally different technology to the i8.
Of course it is a completely different technology. I am so confused with your statements man...

-
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 03:36 PM   #13
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
You can be in the market for an Suv and a station wagon. Doesn't mean it's an apples to apples comparison.
Correct. But sometimes I am in the supermarket deciding between an apple and a banana. They are both green, both healthy, but one is healthier than the other.

-
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 04:13 PM   #14
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Correct. But sometimes I am in the supermarket deciding between an apple and a banana. They are both green, both healthy, but one is healthier than the other.
Precisely. They are not an apples to apples comparison. My sentiment all along.

Follow me on Insta

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 06:22 PM   #15
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Precisely. They are not an apples to apples comparison. My sentiment all along.
Haha ok

-
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 11:41 PM   #16
Amgeater2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ok first off no one that is looking into a i8 is looking for a Tesla.. (I personally didn't or didn't even remotely cross my mind) They are two very different cars and to be quiet honest with you very far away from each other to be put in the same category. If any most current owners like my self have the i8 as second or third car and put in the garage like what it's a sport/supercar. Most of the current Tesla owners buy them as Primary cars and not to be second or third cars. And WILL never be classified or put right next (level wise) as an sport/supercar.

Now regarding you other comment, yes BMW didn't try... they did IMO show the world what the future could be..

Last but not least, Are you even familiar with the car ? because your comment about "the car shows very little for what it cost" it's plain ignorance... Please educate yourself on the car before you make stupid comments. Cars on the same category as the i8 are 3 times if not more than the i8 !!
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34184.50
      09-06-2016, 12:47 AM   #17
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Ok first off no one that is looking into a i8 is looking for a Tesla.. (I personally didn't or didn't even remotely cross my mind) They are two very different cars and to be quiet honest with you very far away from each other to be put in the same category. If any most current owners like my self have the i8 as second or third car and put in the garage like what it's a sport/supercar. Most of the current Tesla owners buy them as Primary cars and not to be second or third cars. And WILL never be classified or put right next (level wise) as an sport/supercar.

Now regarding you other comment, yes BMW didn't try... they did IMO show the world what the future could be..

Last but not least, Are you even familiar with the car ? because your comment about "the car shows very little for what it cost" it's plain ignorance... Please educate yourself on the car before you make stupid comments. Cars on the same category as the i8 are 3 times if not more than the i8 !!
To your first comment, the audience who is considering this car, is large. I agree that for most people the i8 isn't a daily car but the Tesla is. Nevertheless, I personally know 2 people who weren't sure if they should go for the i8 or the Tesla, because they wanted something modern and somewhat cool and green. One of them dailies his i8 now. There isn't much other choice out there for that kind of money that offers that sort of green tech.

Yes. I am pretty familiar with the car. I was at the launch a few years ago, where we got to know the ins and outs of this baby. I think you might have misunderstood a bit. You're correct. This Hybrid-tech is usually found in P1, LaFerrari and co. but I meant more the technology that is offered onboard is very little for this price tag. No autopilot, no lane assist, no active cruise control etc. The car looks so out of this world but then the tech is the same I get on a 320i. I know I know I know, you DO get a lot of under the skin tech for this money, but to ME it's not worth paying $140k for that.

This just proves again, that the ADMIN should not move these reviews in the OWNERS forum, because you guys already have the car, and have your valid reasons why you bought this car. You don't need me to criticizes your baby, because I don't believe in it personally, and I also think that this post doesn't belong here.

-
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 07:36 AM   #18
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

Quote:
Quote:

To your first comment, the audience who is considering this car, is large. I agree that for most people the i8 isn't a daily car but the Tesla is. Nevertheless, I personally know 2 people who weren't sure if they should go for the i8 or the Tesla, because they wanted something modern and somewhat cool and green. One of them dailies his i8 now. There isn't much other choice out there for that kind of money that offers that sort of green tech.

Yes. I am pretty familiar with the car. I was at the launch a few years ago, where we got to know the ins and outs of this baby. I think you might have misunderstood a bit. You're correct. This Hybrid-tech is usually found in P1, LaFerrari and co. but I meant more the technology that is offered onboard is very little for this price tag. No autopilot, no lane assist, no active cruise control etc. The car looks so out of this world but then the tech is the same I get on a 320i. I know I know I know, you DO get a lot of under the skin tech for this money, but to ME it's not worth paying $140k for that.

This just proves again, that the ADMIN should not move these reviews in the OWNERS forum, because you guys already have the car, and have your valid reasons why you bought this car. You don't need me to criticizes your baby, because I don't believe in it personally, and I also think that this post doesn't belong here.
4 days with the car, I'll tell you it's worth it. But it's a third or fourth car. And if you're struggling with the price there are far more practical things to spend your money on. But for me, now, and where I keep the car (Pittsburgh) it may be the best car I've ever driven.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 08:06 AM   #19
jnkirk1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Garage List
While I guess I can understand why some people cross-shop the i8 and the Tesla, I never even considered the Tesla.

The reason why I liked the i8 was purely based on it's sporting ability and style (something the Tesla has nothing of).

The other cars I was considering was getting another M6, a Porsche 911 Carrera S and the Jaguar F-Type R.

Fuel economy is of minimal interest to me.

The BMW i8 has the extreme style and good overall performance. Based on what it offers, I consider it a major bargain.

Again, the Tesla does even compare (unless all you care about it 0-60 times), in my opinion.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34184.50
      09-06-2016, 11:43 AM   #20
Amgeater2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgroschi View Post

First the comments were NOT towards you but more towards the other forum member

As you stated and agree on your prior comment the car has the technology of the P1 and la ferrari etc(cars in the Million Dollar Price Range) but in your opinion (which I respect) its not worth the money because it doesnt have, lane assist, no active cruise or auto pilot... well I can agree to disagree, those are features that are nice to have but NOT necessarily will make someone (a real buyer) not to buy the car. those things become a problem or a pick point to window shoppers... again not real buyers IMO.

Do really think that Porsche, Mclaren, Ferrari etc really care about lane assist, active cruise or auto pilot ? but wait those are SUPER Cars I guess the 320i is far advance since it has all the above features
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 01:27 PM   #21
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
First the comments were NOT towards you but more towards the other forum member

As you stated and agree on your prior comment the car has the technology of the P1 and la ferrari etc(cars in the Million Dollar Price Range) but in your opinion (which I respect) its not worth the money because it doesnt have, lane assist, no active cruise or auto pilot... well I can agree to disagree, those are features that are nice to have but NOT necessarily will make someone (a real buyer) not to buy the car. those things become a problem or a pick point to window shoppers... again not real buyers IMO.

Do really think that Porsche, Mclaren, Ferrari etc really care about lane assist, active cruise or auto pilot ? but wait those are SUPER Cars I guess the 320i is far advance since it has all the above features
You got a good point there and I totally respect that. However, to me, the P1, LaFerrari etc, they are hypercars. A totally different breed, and they don't need any of these stupid features in order to be worth their money. Again, to me at least, the i8 is hard to categorize or put into any comparison really. It's a good car for what it is and is really in a class by itself. As the other member mentioned, it's a cool 3rd or 4th car for people who like the tech, design etc. and appreciate BMW. I just wish it had more cool tech onboard to make it really worth it to me. It could be a so much better car with a few upgrades. But then again, everyone has their own taste.

Don't think that I think in any way that the i8 is a bad car that BMW screwed up

Would you guys like an M version of this?

-
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 01:29 PM   #22
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974 View Post
While I guess I can understand why some people cross-shop the i8 and the Tesla, I never even considered the Tesla.

The reason why I liked the i8 was purely based on it's sporting ability and style (something the Tesla has nothing of).

The other cars I was considering was getting another M6, a Porsche 911 Carrera S and the Jaguar F-Type R.

Fuel economy is of minimal interest to me.

The BMW i8 has the extreme style and good overall performance. Based on what it offers, I consider it a major bargain.

Again, the Tesla does even compare (unless all you care about it 0-60 times), in my opinion.
Thank you for that info

I think the Tesla does compare for people who are looking for something economical and modern, and have $140k to spend

-
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread