Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
You can't be serious.
Yes, I am serious.

For the general public, the only recognizable BMW design trait is the kidney grill.
"Hofmeister kink" means nothing for the majority of the consumers.

Quote:
And all the driving reviews have stated it is just a comfortable and quiet cruiser with no sporting pretentions outside a straight line. The opposite of what a BMW should be.
And all agreed that it is a very good EV.
Many BMWs have been designed as a comfortable grand tourer - 7 series, X7 etc. I would say it has not deviated from the traditions.

As for X5 styling, I find that my X5's styling has instantly become dated when parked next to an iX as in one photo posted in another thread.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      10-07-2021, 10:20 AM   #46
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
This thing has no BMW design traits. No Hofmeister kink, no strong character line below the belt-line, and a silly face that doesn't resemble kidney grills in the least bit.
They continued some of that polygon design they have been doing since a few generations of vehicle interiors. The kink is technically still there, just harder to see cause of that dark piece they put for the floating roof design. The kidneys are bigger and more vertical than before, but they are definitely still recognizable as BMW kidney grills. They may not be in your favorite shape/size but BMW has made tons of different styles of the grills over the years. See article here for some nice images across the decades.

Quote:
And all the driving reviews have stated it is just a comfortable and quiet cruiser with no sporting pretentions outside a straight line. The opposite of what a BMW should be.
This is exactly what a luxury SUV is supposed to be. It may not be what the typical BMW enthusiast wants, but the hard truth is that BMW has way more customers buying comfortable luxury cars than the sporty ones.

Quote:
The X5 is also a lazy driving car, but at least the styling is very much in line with BMW heritage design.
If you prefer the X5, get an X5. I own a G05 X5 since 2019 and really do think it is a great SUV. Just don't post about wrinkly back seat leather in the X5 forums.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 03:44 PM   #47
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

Quote:
I can see it poaching sales from the likes of the Model X.
Both are in the same league for ugliness.. :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 08:11 AM   #48
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
You can't be serious. This thing has no BMW design traits.
It sure has BMWi design traits, there are certainly some i3 design elements in there.

I'm not sure a next-gen i car absolutely needs a 70s Hofmeister kink.

Whether or not the iX is a good design overall or not is debatable, but if it is not, that is not due to it lacking traditional BMW design traits.
Appreciate 0