Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

01-20-2022, 04:22 PM   #1
npa201
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 m50i, IX 50, Rivian R1S

Negative repercussions of cancelling an order?

Hi all,

Really random question. Local BMW dealership has an IX allocation due to someone cancelling their order. I'm thinking of picking that up for the $1500 deposit which is refundable.

That said there are still questions I have about the IX. For example, no hitch is a huge bummer as I'd like to use my bike rack w/ the vehicle. I really would like to better understand charging. I'd also like to see what a build costs for the m60 version and just get a better sense of real range of the 50 version.

So my question is, if I go through the order, and say the vehicle goes into production and I then cancel, are there negative repercussions on the cancellation? Do I get blacklisted by the dealership somehow or the OEM? Or is this truly a no pressure, fully refundable deposit?

Perhaps its just crazy to preorder vehicles sight unseen but seems like this may be the way things go for quite a while, particularly on the EV side. There are no Taycans near me to drive. I was only able to test drive an EQS because there was a special marketing event. Who knows how its going to work with Rivian (also have a $1000 deposit with them and the earliest I may possibly even get one from them is end of 2023).
Its sort of frustrating really.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 08:30 PM   #2
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by npa201 View Post
Hi all,

Really random question. Local BMW dealership has an IX allocation due to someone cancelling their order. I'm thinking of picking that up for the $1500 deposit which is refundable.

That said there are still questions I have about the IX. For example, no hitch is a huge bummer as I'd like to use my bike rack w/ the vehicle. I really would like to better understand charging. I'd also like to see what a build costs for the m60 version and just get a better sense of real range of the 50 version.

So my question is, if I go through the order, and say the vehicle goes into production and I then cancel, are there negative repercussions on the cancellation? Do I get blacklisted by the dealership somehow or the OEM? Or is this truly a no pressure, fully refundable deposit?

Perhaps its just crazy to preorder vehicles sight unseen but seems like this may be the way things go for quite a while, particularly on the EV side. There are no Taycans near me to drive. I was only able to test drive an EQS because there was a special marketing event. Who knows how its going to work with Rivian (also have a $1000 deposit with them and the earliest I may possibly even get one from them is end of 2023).
Its sort of frustrating really.
Nope, you're under no obligation to buy the vehicle. You might irritate the local sales person, but I doubt they'll even care. They get it, especially since it's a new platform. I wouldn't sweat it.

Cheers!
      01-20-2022, 09:21 PM   #3
npa201
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 m50i, IX 50, Rivian R1S

That was the impression the sales guy gave me. He said while he would prefer I go through the transaction, if I cancel they will just take delivery of the vehicle and given the limited initial allocation, they can probably sell it with a market adjustment. I think I’ll just through with the order. I’ve gotten used to the looks and I actually think it looks pretty nice now. I used to balk at the X7 and m3 and in person I think they look perfectly fine. My biggest concern is that I just want this to be an electric X5 m50i with better handling because I basically only have a few minor complaints with that vehicle but when all is said and done, its been the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. Hopefully it lives up to that.

The x5 is a proven platform and while there are maintenance costs, I’m fairly confident that I could own my 2020 for the next 10 years (we have 2013 x5 that is also still going strong). Hopefully, the IX can be similar or even better….
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 11:12 PM   #4
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

I would not make a habit of constantly ordering and then canceling. But, with short supply, they can easily sell at a premium.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 03:26 PM   #5
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
...But, with short supply, they can easily sell at a premium.
Despite everything we hear, it really doesn't appear that supply is short. Demand is high. I realize I'm splitting hairs but if supply was short, BMW wouldn't have just posted record sales. Net result is that we pay a premium as long as we're willing to pay that premium.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 04:57 PM   #6
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
Despite everything we hear, it really doesn't appear that supply is short. Demand is high. I realize I'm splitting hairs but if supply was short, BMW wouldn't have just posted record sales. Net result is that we pay a premium as long as we're willing to pay that premium.
Fair enough. Demand is definitely high, but there are chip shortages (removing certain vehicles options) and dealership allocation can regionally vary. Most dealerships I have talked to currently recommend ordering and they do not always have combinations on site to check out.
Appreciate 0