BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

05-15-2021, 01:15 PM   #1
tan55555
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 (2016), Tesla MS 75D

Car washing

I've always used a 2 bucket wash method with a microfiber mitt and drying towel in the past. I'm thinking about getting a pressure washer and snowfoam Lance to go to a touchless wash.
What do others think the pros and cons of 2 bucket wash Vs snowfoam are for the i8?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 04:16 PM   #2
SurreySid
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

I switch between both, depending on how much ‘me time’ I have. When there is light dirt on the car, the snow foam method is quicker. However, after driving for a week in rough British weather, the two bucket method is added to the snow foam wash (which is now a pre-wash).
Either way, waxing the car afterwards and standing back to admire it is so satisfying.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 03:37 PM   #3
dragonsdreams
Private
Rep
Drives: i8

The snow foam (just switched to Valet Pro) is great for getting most of the grime off as a prewash without physically abrasing the bodywork. I use a lance on a jet washer which works really well. I use it all the time now before the two bucket wash ( I like the Blackfire shampoo - not too expensive but slips on really nicely) . My car is half PPFd and half ceramic coated so I rinse and use Gyeons Wet Coat which you can just spray on and rinse off to get a shiney wax like hydrophobic finish without any effort. Then dry off with the usual towels and Gyeon (again) microfibre mitts (which are great on low down areas). Sometimes finish off using Gyeon fast detailer which seems to give a deeper gloss finish.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 03:19 PM   #4
merlin3008
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

When my car is exceedingly dirty, I do use a pressure washer and snow foam to pre-rinse the car. Anything you can do to remove some of the larger particles before you touch the paint by hand is very helpful in preventing swirls. I will tell you that there is no substitute for a good two bucket wash though. Breaking the hydrostatic bond of those smaller particles just doesn't happen to the level that you need with any sort of rise. Also, I don't like drying a car with a towel when I'm not sure if there is dirt left on the car. Hand drying a dirty car is a recipe for disaster.
2016 M235i xdrive, Alpine White, Terra Leather, Orbit Gray Wheels (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 01:51 PM   #5
iSneaky
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i8,BMW i3,Dodge Viper GTS

We do pressure washer and foam for lighter wash days. For heavier grime post road trip, track day, or rain, it's pressure washer/foam first, followed by a mitt and bucket to remove anything stubborn. We also like to take it one step further for a truly touchless experience - only drying the cars with a leaf blower, never towels. However, our cars are all ceramic coated so the water beads up and slides off very easily, for non-coated cars this may be a more frustrating drying experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 07:17 PM   #6
thesubmitter
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 BMW i8 Acura MDX

All touch less car washes for me. You guys dont use pressure washers at full strength right? It damages the paint
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 04:48 AM   #7
dragonsdreams
Private
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesubmitter View Post
All touch less car washes for me. You guys dont use pressure washers at full strength right? It damages the paint
Good advice. Not too worried as mine is protected with PPF and ceramic coat. But yes I managed to strip the paint of an old gate with my Karcher, so go easy with the power out there.👍
Appreciate 0