BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

12-19-2018, 05:23 PM   #23
XutvJet
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herdalum View Post
We can’t do what the Chinese did way way back? BS... that wasn’t exactly level terrain they built that damn thing on...

(I said way way back so a certain anal retentive troll doesn’t challenge my timing as being fifteen minutes off)
Yep, and the Chinese learned hundreds of years ago that it wasn't very effective in keeping people out that really wanted in.

12-19-2018, 05:23 PM   #24
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Supporting link, please.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=trump%27s+wall+...adio+frequency
Appreciate 1

12-19-2018, 05:28 PM   #25
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Yep, and the Chinese learned hundreds of years ago that it wasn't very effective in keeping people out that really wanted in.
Lmao.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 06:16 PM   #26
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
Wow, that was good!
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2018, 07:11 PM   #27
Now_Rudi
I go by many names
Rep
Drives: Magic Carpet

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
Not arguing that point. Physically can it be built? Yes. Will it last as long as the Great Wall? Absolutely not.

If the wall is built, which I highly doubt that it will be, this will only leave financial and engineering problems for future generations to maintain.

Did no one happen to see the comment I also made of "building a wall isn't a problem" on the same post or did everyone only read one sentence?
I guess I'm not sure what your point is. Some of the designs I've seen look like they are virtually maintenance free, but even if some maintenance is required I don't get not building something that's important just because it requires work to keep it intact. Isn't that what we already do to maintain our freedom? And I'm not equating the wall with keeping our freedom, but am equating the concept.
My point is that building a wall to stop immigration is equivalent to putting a dead bolt lock on a door to keep intruders out. If they want in bad enough nothing is going to deter them.

As for construction/maintenance, nothing in the history of man has ever been maintenance free....ever. After the wall would completed, it would require around the clock monitoring to ensure that it isn't being destroyed, falling apart or anything else. Again man hours, funding and resources all being used to prevent nothing.

Again, maintenance expenditures would be astronomical. if it were truly important, wouldn't we begin working on a more logical process than building a wall. My 4 year old nephew used to build walls to keep his 1 year old sister out of his room. This is the mentality the wall was derived from. Ask my nephew if his walls kept his sister out of his room.
Appreciate 4
obe100181.50
minn195543.50
Mingwan1090.00

12-19-2018, 07:42 PM   #28
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
My point is that building a wall to stop immigration is equivalent to putting a dead bolt lock on a door to keep intruders out. If they want in bad enough nothing is going to deter them.

As for construction/maintenance, nothing in the history of man has ever been maintenance free....ever. After the wall would completed, it would require around the clock monitoring to ensure that it isn't being destroyed, falling apart or anything else. Again man hours, funding and resources all being used to prevent nothing.

Again, maintenance expenditures would be astronomical. if it were truly important, wouldn't we begin working on a more logical process than building a wall. My 4 year old nephew used to build walls to keep his 1 year old sister out of his room. This is the mentality the wall was derived from. Ask my nephew if his walls kept his sister out of his room.
So I could argue a number of your points but I don't think there's any merit to that but I'd just say this. For a nation to be sovereign they must defend and protect their borders.......if you're not prepared to take the necessary steps then you might as well give up your sovereignty. Sure, some folks might still get in but you at least have to make the effort to keep the folks out who will respect the message sent by a secure border.

Good fences make good neighbours.....
Appreciate 1
glennQNYC5147.50

12-19-2018, 07:55 PM   #29
adc100
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Not_Judy
You would be one of those people that while you say "it can't be done"..someone is doing it. Fortunately there were many many more people building this country up vs negative Nancy's like you.
Appreciate 1
glennQNYC5147.50

12-19-2018, 07:58 PM   #30
chetrickerman
Pro Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I donated
ASR Kratos billet turbos, Essex/AP 9668 BBK, AR design downpipes, Custom charge pipes, custom intakes, MHD, Awron DGA, RW Carbon GTS hood, Status Gruppe Carbon CSL trunk, Carbon rear diffuser, AutoTecknic Carbon mirrors, GC Camber plates, KW HAS, Fall-Line Race Toe arms, SS Brake Lines, UUC SSK, Insane Crank hub, Ozmo titanium lugs, BC Forged RZ01
Appreciate 2
anglo35441.50

12-19-2018, 08:11 PM   #31
Now_Rudi
I go by many names
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
Not_Judy
You would be one of those people that while you say "it can't be done"..someone is doing it. Fortunately there were many many more people building this country up vs negative Nancy's like you.
Hilarious. You know me so well. Call me a Negative Nancy all you want. Read some of my other posts on here and you'll find this isn't the case. I'm not negative, I'm a realist. I also work in engineering so I am that guy that is building things that people say won't work while others stand around and complain. I get paid to evaluate labor, cost and end result versus notion.
Appreciate 3
minn195543.50
Taskmaster2309.00

12-19-2018, 08:18 PM   #32
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I don’t want to be too argumentative on this, but you just repeated what I replied to without regard to my reply, so I’ll say again,
...Some of the designs I’ve seen look like they are virtually maintenance free, but even if some maintenance is required I don’t get not building something that’s important just because it requires work to keep it intact. Isn’t that what we already do to maintain our freedom? And I’m not equating the wall with keeping our freedom, but am equating the concept. Your argument that it won’t work because they’ll get in anyway is one of those don’t do it if it isn’t a hundred percent perfect arguments in my opinion. Walls work, ask the Israelis if you don’t believe me.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 08:23 PM   #33
Now_Rudi
I go by many names
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I don't want to be too argumentative on this, but you just repeated what I replied to without regard to my reply, so I'll say again,
...Some of the designs I've seen look like they are virtually maintenance free, but even if some maintenance is required I don't get not building something that's important just because it requires work to keep it intact. Isn't that what we already do to maintain our freedom? And I'm not equating the wall with keeping our freedom, but am equating the concept. Your argument that it won't work because they'll get in anyway is one of those don't do it if it isn't a hundred percent perfect arguments in my opinion. Walls work, ask the Israelis if you don't believe me.
I have a half naked woman in my bed waiting on me. You guys enjoy your wall debate and I'll check back in tomorrow.
Appreciate 3
minn195543.50
Lups10829.50
Taskmaster2309.00

12-19-2018, 08:26 PM   #34
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It simply isn't possible to build.
Oh yeah? Prove me wrong.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 08:29 PM   #35
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have a half naked woman in my bed waiting on me. You guys enjoy your wall debate and I'll check back in tomorrow.
What? You find it more enjoyable being with a half naked woman than arguing politics with strangers on the internet? Well, I never! heh...
Appreciate 1
Now_Rudi5733.00

12-19-2018, 08:39 PM   #36
other_evolved
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

FFS, this is real
Appreciate 1
minn195543.50

12-19-2018, 08:41 PM   #37
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Taking bets on how long before the person who started the GoFundMe pockets the money and disappears.

I say a week.
minn195543.50
tuco44602.00
Mingwan1090.00
Now_Rudi5733.00
vtown56.00
Law4495.50
Taskmaster2309.00

12-19-2018, 09:01 PM   #38
glennQNYC
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
First- The wall was a centerpiece of Trump's campaign and can easily be called the issue that got him elected President. It's a smack in the face of democracy to deny the voters what they clearly voted for.

Also- I always find it amusing when people argue that a physical barrier is ineffective, and no physical barrier at all is actually more effective.. at being a barrier to unauthorized entry. 🤦🏻*♂️

The truth of the matter is this is about Trump. The Resistance would oppose peace on Earth if it were Trump that would be credited with making it happen.
Now_Rudi5733.00

12-19-2018, 09:05 PM   #39
other_evolved
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
First- The wall was a centerpiece of Trump's campaign and can easily be called the issue that got him elected President. It's a smack in the face of democracy to deny the voters what they clearly voted for.

Also- I always find it amusing when people argue that a physical barrier is ineffective, and no barrier at all is actually more effective at being a barrier to unauthorized entry. smh
He also emphatically stated that Mexico would pay for it, yet here we are.

Illegal border crossings are at a relative low point, and 2/3 of illegal immigration occurs via visa overstays....NOT people walking across our southern border. Those of us who think a 2200 mile long border is a waste of money are of that opinion because there are far better, far cheaper methods of lowering illegal immigration versus some boondoggle.
Appreciate 7
minn195543.50
Mingwan1090.00
Now_Rudi5733.00
vtown56.00
Taskmaster2309.00

12-19-2018, 09:07 PM   #40
glennQNYC
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by other_evolved View Post
Quote:

Also- I always find it amusing when people argue that a physical barrier is ineffective, and no barrier at all is actually more effective at being a barrier to unauthorized entry. smh
He also emphatically stated that Mexico would pay for it, yet here we are.

Illegal border crossings are at a relative low point, and 2/3 of illegal immigration occurs via visa overstays....NOT people walking across our southern border. Those of us who think a 2200 mile long border is a waste of money are of that opinion because there are far better, far cheaper methods of lowering illegal immigration versus some boondoggle.
Try and stay focused on topic. The wall is addressing unauthorized entry to the country and border enforcement. 💡
      12-19-2018, 09:44 PM   #41
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Oh yeah? Prove me wrong.
But in reality...

If we can't address this hot button without taking the same approach as 5th Century China, we should just sell all the land border states to them and find a new project.
Attached Images

Lups10829.50

12-19-2018, 09:45 PM   #42
XutvJet
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235 6MT

Quote:
Most smart people know that wall was never going to be built and was downright silly for a multitude of reasons. Trump probably knows that as well. This is all just a glorified reality show for him and Trump supporters are blind to it.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2018, 09:49 PM   #43
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Oh yeah? Prove me wrong.
But in reality...

If we can't address this hit button without taking the same approach as 5th Century China, we should just sell all the land border states to them and find a new project.
I vote we SEVERELY penalize any and all US companies that hire and "use" any and all illegal immigrants irregardless of their country of origin.

That should clean shit up real fast!
Appreciate 3
      12-19-2018, 09:52 PM   #44
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

But I need a nanny and lawn care for cheap
Appreciate 1