BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

  BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-20-2019, 10:56 PM   #23
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
7291
Rep
9,081
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzschild Radius View Post
Sure. You are aware of veritas sordid past?
I am aware of the media and democrat attacks on veritas. I am aware they try to deflect from the content of the reports by atacking the reporters, just like you are trying to do.

I will ask once again, if you have enough intelctual integrity to answer this time, have you read the GOOGLE INTERNAL MEMOS? Are you claiming these memos are fake? Or do you want to keep dodging them so you dont have to face the truth that Google is not just a platform anymore, but an actively political organization.
You say intellectual honesty, but provide no content. Again. Do I need to label you a Trumpster after your last few posts? You call me "tds" after I made two of three posts agreeing with trump policy. I never insulted you. You bring up project veritas. The alt right version of Michael Moore. You referred to a former Google engineer who Is obviously very biased.

You don't really post anything with content.

After I totally repudiate your Google documents and project veritas engineer,
I probably already know the playbook for your next post. MSM. Deepstate. HILLARY!!
__________________
I need some warm warming up stuff -LUPS
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2019, 11:11 PM   #24
doggboy
Enlisted Member
67
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: BMW 650i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: san diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzschild Radius View Post
You don't really post anything with content.

I probably already know the playbook for your next post. MSM. Deepstate. HILLARY!!
I posted a link to the memos, not any editorial, or opinion piece. It seems to be the most relevant content for this conversation. Would you prefer i copy and paste the memos on here? I think that might take up too much space.


Why would i post about MSM, deepstate or Hillary here? They have nothing to do with this coversation.

My comment about TDS i already explained. Again i am sorry if i offended you, but you kept calling Trump names, which is an emotional response i simply dont understand.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2019, 11:16 PM   #25
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
7291
Rep
9,081
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzschild Radius View Post
You don't really post anything with content.

I probably already know the playbook for your next post. MSM. Deepstate. HILLARY!!
I posted a link to the memos, not any editorial, or opinion piece. It seems to be the most relevant content for this conversation. Would you prefer i copy and paste the memos on here? I think that might take up too much space.


Why would i post about MSM, deepstate or Hillary here? They have nothing to do with this coversation.

My comment about TDS i already explained. Again i am sorry if i offended you, but you kept calling Trump names, which is an emotional response i simply dont understand.
I explained very succinctly why I called Trump those names. You posted a link to some documents, which I believe are fake. The sources are very suspect to begin with. Prove that they are real.

Admit to yourself, my references to MSM, deepstate, and possibly Hillary In all probability short-circuited your next response.
__________________
I need some warm warming up stuff -LUPS
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 02:53 AM   #26
schoy
Captain
561
Rep
738
Posts

Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzschild Radius View Post
I explained very succinctly why I called Trump those names. You posted a link to some documents, which I believe are fake. The sources are very suspect to begin with. Prove that they are real.

Admit to yourself, my references to MSM, deepstate, and possibly Hillary In all probability short-circuited your next response.
The docs are likely real ... but they donít say what he thinks it says.

https://thenextweb.com/artificial-intelligence/2019/08/16/project-veritas-and-whistle-blower-published-bullshit-data-leak-to-dox-google-employees/
Appreciate 3
      08-21-2019, 09:04 AM   #27
BimmerBoomer
demoted
BimmerBoomer's Avatar
Canada
266
Rep
1,015
Posts

Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Sportback
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Grimsby, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

artificial intelligence uses scientific/rational models...

Doh. What would we call an artificial Trump supporting brain? Surely not "intelligence".
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2019, 04:49 PM   #28
glennQNYC
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
glennQNYC's Avatar
United_States
5134
Rep
4,834
Posts

Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggboy View Post
I am aware of the media and democrat attacks on veritas. I am aware they try to deflect from the content of the reports by atacking the reporters, just like you are trying to do.

I will ask once again, if you have enough intelctual integrity to answer this time, have you read the GOOGLE INTERNAL MEMOS? Are you claiming these memos are fake? Or do you want to keep dodging them so you dont have to face the truth that Google is not just a platform anymore, but an actively political organization.
It the same deflection tactic of when wikileaks release the DNC papers, instead of discussing the content they where busy saying how evil Wikileaks is and why it should be illegal for the public to view it.
Yes. Republican does something controversial and the fake news press focuses attention is on the controversial act. A Democrat does something controversial and the fake news press focuses attention on the Republican reaction.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 05:41 PM   #29
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
7291
Rep
9,081
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggboy View Post
I am aware of the media and democrat attacks on veritas. I am aware they try to deflect from the content of the reports by atacking the reporters, just like you are trying to do.

I will ask once again, if you have enough intelctual integrity to answer this time, have you read the GOOGLE INTERNAL MEMOS? Are you claiming these memos are fake? Or do you want to keep dodging them so you dont have to face the truth that Google is not just a platform anymore, but an actively political organization.
It the same deflection tactic of when wikileaks release the DNC papers, instead of discussing the content they where busy saying how evil Wikileaks is and why it should be illegal for the public to view it.
Yes. Republican does something controversial and the fake news press focuses attention is on the controversial act. A Democrat does something controversial and the fake news press focuses attention on the Republican reaction.
So your assessment is that the Google documents are real, and what this gentleman claims they are?

How come WikiLeaks never came after the republican party? They never found out about the mistresses, or payments to mistresses?
__________________
I need some warm warming up stuff -LUPS
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 05:53 PM   #30
billnchristy
First Lieutenant
135
Rep
336
Posts

Drives: 2019 X2 m35i
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I cannot imagine anyone with a monopoly on information not becoming corrupt.

Think about it, what is more powerful than knowledge? They could change the color of blue over a few months and very few people would argue against it.

No matter what side they’re on, it’s dangerous.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer13944.50

      08-21-2019, 06:22 PM   #31
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
1008
Rep
1,206
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
I cannot imagine anyone with a monopoly on information not becoming corrupt.

Think about it, what is more powerful than knowledge? They could change the color of blue over a few months and very few people would argue against it.

No matter what side they’re on, it’s dangerous.
Google does not have a monopoly on information. Google has a market dominant position, but there are plenty of source options: bing, DDG, Qwant, Yahoo, Startpage, Wolfram Alpha. Some (eg. Startpage) do aggregate google results within their searches but use other sources as well.

My point is that, like with everything, people who care about facts and information have plenty of opportunity to inform themselves. People who only care about spin that aligns to their worldview seek out sources that will rarely offend that worldview. Google has no impact on that ... it's their nature and you see it in every thread in this sub-forum constantly. There are a percentage of posters who like to engage in fact based debate, and there are many more who solely promulgate their particular worldview irrespective of whether there is any merit to it.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2019, 06:47 PM   #32
NormanConquest
Lieutenant Colonel
1173
Rep
1,840
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzschild Radius View Post
So your assessment is that the Google documents are real, and what this gentleman claims they are?

How come WikiLeaks never came after the republican party? They never found out about the mistresses, or payments to mistresses?
Wikileaks didn't go after anyone, they was just a document dump for people who aquire documents and wanted to stay anonymous. Furtheremore it wasn't like the DNC really got hack if they used the default password for their emails.

So to answer your question the republicans aren't dumb enough to leave default passwords and when republicans do get hack nothing interesting to leak such as when Sarah Palin got hacked.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 07:45 PM   #33
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
13945
Rep
7,047
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Google does not have a monopoly on information. Google has a market dominant position, but there are plenty of source options: bing, DDG, Qwant, Yahoo, Startpage, Wolfram Alpha. Some (eg. Startpage) do aggregate google results within their searches but use other sources as well.

My point is that, like with everything, people who care about facts and information have plenty of opportunity to inform themselves. People who only care about spin that aligns to their worldview seek out sources that will rarely offend that worldview. Google has no impact on that ... it's their nature and you see it in every thread in this sub-forum constantly. There are a percentage of posters who like to engage in fact based debate, and there are many more who solely promulgate their particular worldview irrespective of whether there is any merit to it.
They have near market monopoly. This is the fact. When I worked for a pharmaceutical company that rhymes with Riser that had a 55% market share in the largest small molecule drug, there were howls of corruption, market dominance, market fixing and whatever else people could think of.

Google is dominant in information searches and quantifies and codifies each of their users information. They are the single most dangerous entity on the planet. People need to open their eyes to this.

Here are the actual facts about their market share.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Hell, I get random sausage attacks when I go anywhere.

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 1
gjm120981.00

      08-21-2019, 08:26 PM   #34
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
1008
Rep
1,206
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
They have near market monopoly. This is the fact. When I worked for a pharmaceutical company that rhymes with Riser that had a 55% market share in the largest small molecule drug, there were howls of corruption, market dominance, market fixing and whatever else people could think of.

Google is dominant in information searches and quantifies and codifies each of their users information. They are the single most dangerous entity on the planet. People need to open their eyes to this.

Here are the actual facts about their market share.
And you missed the point. I wasn't arguing their market dominance.

My point was, and is, that it doesn't matter what the search engine is (or the news source) more people gravitate to sources that support their particular world view. You just have to read these threads to recognize that. The number of people willing to engage in factual debate and have their view influenced by fact or reasoned opinion has a limit. You see it on BM every day. The people beyond that limit are not influenced by results that may or may not be slanted because they ignore them if they do not align.

That makes any perceived bias on Google's part irrelevant (and I do not accept that there is evidence of bias but I do not need to resolve that issue to make my point).
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 09:25 PM   #35
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
13945
Rep
7,047
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
And you missed the point. I wasn't arguing their market dominance.

My point was, and is, that it doesn't matter what the search engine is (or the news source) more people gravitate to sources that support their particular world view. You just have to read these threads to recognize that. The number of people willing to engage in factual debate and have their view influenced by fact or reasoned opinion has a limit. You see it on BM every day. The people beyond that limit are not influenced by results that may or may not be slanted because they ignore them if they do not align.

That makes any perceived bias on Google's part irrelevant (and I do not accept that there is evidence of bias but I do not need to resolve that issue to make my point).


Google is a predatory databank that seeks to gather all of the info they can whether legitimately or illegitimately. Do you have gmail on your phone? It tracks you everywhere. It isn't just search. It is them planting their data hooks into everything and selling the data to the highest bidder. This is factual.

Remember, if they aren't paying you and you aren't buying the service, you're the product.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Hell, I get random sausage attacks when I go anywhere.

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...

Last edited by MKSixer; 08-21-2019 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 3
Run Silent11028.00
N54Yankee1317.00

      08-21-2019, 10:18 PM   #36
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
1008
Rep
1,206
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post


Google is a predatory databank that seeks to gather all of the info they can whether legitimately or illegitimately. Do you have gmail on your phone? It tracks you everywhere. It isn't just search. It is them planting their data hooks into everything and selling the data to the highest bidder. This is factual.

Remember, if they aren't paying you and you aren't buying the service, you're the product.
Completely different debate that has nothing to do with this thread or this topic. Red herring much? If you want to have a debate about Google or Google vs. Apple vs. Microsoft ... start a new thread. That has nothing to do with alleged, perceived, or real bias in their search results.

I don't use gmail and the app's disabled. For anything important Tutanota. I use a combination of search engines, but my default is set to privacytools.io (searx results). I use OneDrive for cloud storage but all my sensitive personal information is encrypted by Cryptomator on both ends. I am not a profit centre for Google so you can stop marginalizing my opinion because of some preconceived notion you might have about my ability to take of myself.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2019, 10:30 PM   #37
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
13945
Rep
7,047
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Completely different debate that has nothing to do with this thread or this topic. Red herring much? If you want to have a debate about Google or Google vs. Apple vs. Microsoft ... start a new thread. That has nothing to do with alleged, perceived, or real bias in their search results.

I don't use gmail and the app's disabled. For anything important Tutanota. I use a combination of search engines, but my default is set to privacytools.io (searx results). I use OneDrive for cloud storage but all my sensitive personal information is encrypted by Cryptomator on both ends. I am not a profit centre for Google so you can stop marginalizing my opinion because of some preconceived notion you might have about my ability to take of myself.
Fruit of a poisoned tree. Everything they touch is tainted. The biased search results are nothing but another line item on their list malfeasance.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Hell, I get random sausage attacks when I go anywhere.

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 10:33 PM   #38
Gesler
First Lieutenant
Gesler's Avatar
United_States
81
Rep
316
Posts

Drives: 335i e90 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

I am not sure about alternatives. I have been using google news exclusively since 2004 and rarely watch CNN, NBC, fox or any other mainstream. I do not feel strongly about either party, but am now not comfortable with my news source. The presentation is so convenient however, I canít find any other alternatives.

Now I just try to gauge the bias based on which news entity the article is from and try to sift facts from opinion. Iíve been avoiding google for search, gmail, etc for some years now but it is not uncommon to find oneself disappointed with searching on bing, DuckDuckGo etc.

IMO, trumps biggest achievement is showing that news media are not entirely reliable, at least to people like me. Steven Colbert himself commented on opinion vs fact rampant in media when he was roasting Bush daily. Doctors are corruption is ubiquitous: doctors, realtors, lawyers (needless to say) etc, how come journalists are holier than thou? The problem is that they are happy castigating everyone but they understandably donít point out their own bias, ie, corruption. What I am seeing is the indignant reaction from media that trump won despite their best efforts, and as far as they are concerned, nothing in this country is more important than taking trump down. What a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
And you missed the point. I wasn't arguing their market dominance.

My point was, and is, that it doesn't matter what the search engine is (or the news source) more people gravitate to sources that support their particular world view. You just have to read these threads to recognize that. The number of people willing to engage in factual debate and have their view influenced by fact or reasoned opinion has a limit. You see it on BM every day. The people beyond that limit are not influenced by results that may or may not be slanted because they ignore them if they do not align.

That makes any perceived bias on Google's part irrelevant (and I do not accept that there is evidence of bias but I do not need to resolve that issue to make my point).
Appreciate 3
MKSixer13944.50
lakefront174.00
Run Silent11028.00

      08-22-2019, 05:16 AM   #39
gonzo
Lieutenant General
gonzo's Avatar
United_States
6273
Rep
12,457
Posts

Drives: as many as possible
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TeXXXas

iTrader: (0)

Google has what, 154 offices worldwide? A new campus the size of a small town?
Not just a search engine anymore.

I switched to the Samsung Galaxy powered by DuckDuck and DuckDuck Home now handles all the household helpers.



I made a thread on Google and the impending problems years ago...
Welp, my predictions are here.

#dontbenaive
__________________
Crazy Diamond
Appreciate 1
Run Silent11028.00

      08-22-2019, 08:00 AM   #40
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
hooligan_COLD's Avatar
3424
Rep
3,021
Posts

Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Back in the Mitten

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post


Google is a predatory databank that seeks to gather all of the info they can whether legitimately or illegitimately. Do you have gmail on your phone? It tracks you everywhere. It isn't just search. It is them planting their data hooks into everything and selling the data to the highest bidder. This is factual.

Remember, if they aren't paying you and you aren't buying the service, you're the product.
True, though pretty tangential to this thread's topic. Plus, there are lots of webmail services out there to choose from if you don't want to use GMail or Google's other services.

gonzo gives us a case study, in fact:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Google has what, 154 offices worldwide? A new campus the size of a small town?
Not just a search engine anymore.

I switched to the Samsung Galaxy powered by DuckDuck and DuckDuck Home now handles all the household helpers.



I made a thread on Google and the impending problems years ago...
Welp, my predictions are here.

#dontbenaive
Appreciate 1
Run Silent11028.00

      08-22-2019, 08:03 AM   #41
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
hooligan_COLD's Avatar
3424
Rep
3,021
Posts

Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Back in the Mitten

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
The docs are likely real ... but they donít say what he thinks it says.

https://thenextweb.com/artificial-in...gle-employees/
Interesting!

I don't care nearly enough to go through all the docs myself and judge whether I agree with NextWeb's analysis or not, but it certainly shows this isn't exactly open and shut.

Appreciate 1
Run Silent11028.00

      08-22-2019, 08:30 AM   #42
BimmerBoomer
demoted
BimmerBoomer's Avatar
Canada
266
Rep
1,015
Posts

Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Sportback
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Grimsby, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

no, boring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Interesting!

I don't care nearly enough to go through all the docs myself and judge whether I agree with NextWeb's analysis or not, but it certainly shows this isn't exactly open and shut.

We don't really need to go down every rabbit-hole. Just look at the demographics of the Trump base - especially mortality (and its causes) - and the underlying (and dangerous) irrationality becomes clear. Of course that doesn't mean they or he are wrong about everything. I've always believed that you can't get to the bottom of stupidity, but you sure can get stuck in the mud if you try to.
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2019, 03:05 PM   #43
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
7291
Rep
9,081
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post

So to answer your question the republicans aren't dumb enough to leave default passwords and when republicans do get hack nothing interesting to leak such as when Sarah Palin got hacked.
I used to agree with your last paragraph. Then Donald Trump was nominated........
__________________
I need some warm warming up stuff -LUPS
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 03:36 PM   #44
Run Silent
Run Deep
Run Silent's Avatar
United_States
11028
Rep
3,044
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Mountains

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post

Remember, if they aren't paying you and you aren't buying the service, you're the product.
As you are so fond of saying, sir - "You win the internet today!"

That is seriously one of the most profound statements I've read in a long time. It should be emblazoned in every school classroom and every office boardroom.
__________________
Nou gaan ons braai!
Appreciate 1
MKSixer13944.50

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST