BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-12-2014, 10:13 PM   #1
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

Noob question on buying and selling in the classifieds

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, I couldn't figure out a better place, and didn't find this discussed before.

So my question is, when you buy from someone in the classifieds here, how do you know it isn't a scam? You paypal the person money and then.. what if nothing happens, he just doesn't ship the item? Whats your recourse?

Are there any protocols like shipping first or payment first or voice-verify, ask for a copy of ID or anything like that?

Honestly its the one thing keeping me from buying here and must be on the minds of other newbies to the forum too..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 12:12 AM   #2
RaceTruk
Major
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

If you Paypal the money if they do not ship nor provide a tracking number you can file a claim with Paypal and get your money back.
There are always ways to be unethical, but look at their past threads and find out if they have ever had any problems as sellers in the last
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 06:39 AM   #3
bmw-again
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 440xi GC-15 X1 xline

There is nothing to be afraid of with purchasing items online. Pay with your paypal account and if you have a problem they will take care of it. I have been buying and selling on the forums and ebay since 2001 and the only problem I have ever had is with UPS on shipping. GOOD LUCK! and dont be afraid just dive in. I even bought my Viper sight unseen off of ebay 1000 miles away and had it shipped to my front door.
Appreciate 0