Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-26-2019, 12:31 PM   #23
boglehead
Mechanical Engineer
Rep
Drives: '17 M3

Is it vital to learn these programs on your own time prior to graduating?

I have some tell me it's beneficial for obvious reasons then others say to just focus on the curriculum and the rest will be taught from the employer and whatever software they utilize.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 12:47 PM   #24
Dogeeseegod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Blue Water 128i-6

I'm being paid to learn Inventor...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 12:49 PM   #25
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by boglehead View Post

I have some tell me it's beneficial for obvious reasons then others say to just focus on the curriculum and the rest will be taught from the employer and whatever software they utilize.

Thoughts?
Learn at whatever cost. Taking the initiative to learn it on your own says much about you to prospective employers.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 12:52 PM   #26
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
I also have 04 version on my laptop and office pc. My firm is small, so its very $$$ to upgrade to latest '19 software but we have 2015 & 2018 LT version to open dwg files save & close to 04 version. Its been working so far.
Our clients are architects that have both Autocad and Revit.
I've been using Draftsight for .dwg stuff. I did my entire plant's layout on free Draftsight
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 12:53 PM   #27
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Thoughts?
I'd hire the guy that already knows it over the guy I have to pay to train.
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907384.50
      02-26-2019, 12:55 PM   #28
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
I think Revit is made by the same guys that make AutoCAD (AutoDesk). But I had thought that Revit was directed to architecture?
revit is under the autodesk brand, but yes, i see more architects use it vs engineers. the engineers we work with tend to use AutoCAD 3d, BIM, Sketchup Pro

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 12:57 PM   #29
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Thoughts?
not vital, but it is a great thing to have on a resume. even if you arent great at it, if you know your way around the program, you have a leg up on those that dont.

Quote:
I've been using Draftsight for .dwg stuff. I did my entire plant's layout on free Draftsight
+1. I give all my new hires draftsight to learn on if they havent used CAD before. Does pretty much everything CAD does now, and does everything the old CADs did

Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 01:01 PM   #30
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
revit is under the autodesk brand, but yes, i see more architects use it vs engineers. the engineers we work with tend to use AutoCAD 3d, BIM, Sketchup Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
not vital, but it is a great thing to have on a resume. even if you arent great at it, if you know your way around the program, you have a leg up on those that dont.

+1. I give all my new hires draftsight to learn on if they havent used CAD before. Does pretty much everything CAD does now, and does everything the old CADs did
what is draftsight? I'll look into it.
also, BIM is being heavily promoted in my school and I'd argue this is a good one based on rankings (top 3) so it's important to learn since the people that are graduating soon/have graduated in the last few years have been exposed to these

It also depends on what you are doing I'd say, I know from our project to renovate our civil eng building for that class we're using Revit to model the exterior, SketchUp to have a pre-model since its easier to use and AutoCad to take care of the room splits and whatnot PLUS something else the structural engineer is using to make sure the building can stand
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:06 PM   #31
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

EE > ME
Proof: BMW switched their last bastion of mechanical, analog element (hydraulic steering racks) to electric. This after having switched all 3 control pedals (gas, brake and transmission) to electric/electronic.
There.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:07 PM   #32
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayerische Motoren Werke View Post
what is draftsight? I'll look into it.
also, BIM is being heavily promoted in my school and I'd argue this is a good one based on rankings (top 3) so it's important to learn since the people that are graduating soon/have graduated in the last few years have been exposed to these

It also depends on what you are doing I'd say, I know from our project to renovate our civil eng building for that class we're using Revit to model the exterior, SketchUp to have a pre-model since its easier to use and AutoCad to take care of the room splits and whatnot PLUS something else the structural engineer is using to make sure the building can stand
Draftsight is a free offering (you can pay for it for commercial use, but certainly free for students) that's made by the guys that make Solidworks. I personally think it's a big middle finger to AutoDesk. A lot of the short commands are the same as AutoCAD even.

Just Google and download.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 01:09 PM   #33
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
EE > ME
Proof: BMW switched their last bastion of mechanical, analog element (hydraulic steering racks) to electric. This after having switched all 3 control pedals (gas, brake and transmission) to electric/electronic.
There.
Oh no. What have you done?

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:13 PM   #34
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Oh no. What have you done?

lol
Watch this thread burn down to hell.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #35
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
never heard of it but good to know!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:47 PM   #36
Ralph335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335xi M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Good for you!

A piece of advice from an ME whose been out there for a few decades: Think about your 10, 15, 20 year plan. I know that sounds insane right now but hear me out. EVERY engineer eventually faces the same question at some point in their career: Stay an engineer, stay technical, stay focused, or move over into a managerial track. Your career and your salary will eventually top out as an engineer. Some dudes are totally content with that and that's awesome. Often times engineers who are bright but topped out on a technical track will get hustled over into a management track by a company that does not want to lose them but has no more upward technical growth potential. They usually fail miserably.

Personally, I always had more of a natural talent for managing people than I did for engineering. Out of sheer luck I had a series of managers who saw that and took me under their wing to develop my career path. It was nothing I ever considered when I was in school. I got lucky. Many don't.

If you think you may want more from your career than keeping your head down and staying technical for 30 years, find the time to fit in a minor in Business, Management, Engineering Management, etc. Solid engineers who are personable and can lead are hard to find. You'll get a lot of attention from prospective employers if you throw down a resume that has your ME major and a minor in something that shows you see the big picture of how to apply those technical skills to their company.
This is a really good point.

You top out quick riding the technical side of things but moving over to management or project management can help climb the ladder more and more.
      02-26-2019, 02:02 PM   #37
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph335 View Post
This is a really good point.

You top out quick riding the technical side of things but moving over to management or project management can help climb the ladder more and more.
Careful with "Project Management." Typically its an even less skilled position than an ME and tops out sooner. "Program Manager" on the other hand will typically have direct reports and a bit more financial runway.

Engineering Manager is really where any motivated ME (or any other flavor of engineer) should be aiming (likely with a first stop at either a formal or informal "Supervisor" position) as that then provides the path for Engineering Director, VP of Engineering, CTO...
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
Ralph335127.50
      02-26-2019, 02:08 PM   #38
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
I haven't visited the "Dating Experiences" thread for a while. Are you now in a position to be giving others a bad time about their dating prospects?
i learnt alot from that thread
Appreciate 3
DETRoadster11446.00
King Rudi13152.00
      02-26-2019, 02:14 PM   #39
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Now_Rudi needs his own daytime talk-show.
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50
      02-26-2019, 02:16 PM   #40
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Careful with "Project Management." Typically its an even less skilled position than an ME and tops out sooner. "Program Manager" on the other hand will typically have direct reports and a bit more financial runway.

Engineering Manager is really where any motivated ME (or any other flavor of engineer) should be aiming (likely with a first stop at either a formal or informal "Supervisor" position) as that then provides the path for Engineering Director, VP of Engineering, CTO...
just depends on the company and their structuring and job naming. Ive been a project manager, a program manager and a regional manager and did the same thing in all 3, but was called something different at each company.

i agree though, the management side is the place to get to if your goal isnt to be working for someone for the rest of your life. My uncle went the management route with his EE and now is a consultant who helps manages big projects for big companies. If you can develop the management and people skills, you are going to do big things.

Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      02-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #41
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:

This. He speaks the truth. This is my current situation. Although my position consists of being the magician that makes things happen, I rely on engineers for actually getting my projects across the finish line. I am rarely involved with the technical aspects but am the initiator and the final inspector. I'm currently stagnant in my position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
We all have.....and still have much left to learn.

Quote:
Now_Rudi needs his own daytime talk-show.
I'd be down. Project Coordinator/BimmerPost Lurker to Daytime Television....screw all this engineering bs!
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      02-26-2019, 02:45 PM   #42
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
I'd be down. Project Coordinator/BimmerPost Lurker to Daytime Television....screw all this engineering bs!
"On the next Now_Rudi...Kiki says Charles is the father of her 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th children and wants child support. But Charles says he cant possibly be the father as he was in prison for cooking meth in a porta-potty 9 months before Kiki gave birth to the quintuplets. He blames Joe the midget satanist mailman, but Joe swears he's a eunuch due to a state fair chainsaw carving accident and besides, he's gay. Paternity tests will be administered, fights will break out, and Rudi will get to the bottom of this. On the next Now_Rudi!"
Appreciate 3
      02-26-2019, 02:47 PM   #43
Dogeeseegod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Blue Water 128i-6

Now_Rudi was filmed in front of a live studio audience!
Appreciate 3
DETRoadster11446.00
King Rudi13152.00
      02-26-2019, 03:06 PM   #44
DETRoadster
Rep

Sorry OP....

But I love how 95% of the threads around here start as one thing and end with dating/marriage/life advice from Now_Rudi .
Appreciate 2