Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayerische Motoren Werke View Post
im a junior in college, civil engineering and Revit is being taught very intensively

im in a class this semester that focuses on Revit and it's the best decision ive taken in a while...

also if anyone's looking for a nice kid to have as an intern i'm open to all prospects
Did you join this forum when you were 10?
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 3
      02-26-2019, 03:14 PM   #46
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
This should be called the engineer thread.... I feel like the rest of STEM does not want to participate.

Also - I did not know that Judy Rudi was a []D[]\/[][]D
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 03:20 PM   #47
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
"On the next Now_Rudi...Kiki says Charles is the father of her 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th children and wants child support. But Charles says he cant possibly be the father as he was in prison for cooking meth in a porta-potty 9 months before Kiki gave birth to the quintuplets. He blames Joe the midget satanist mailman, but Joe swears he's a eunuch due to a state fair chainsaw carving accident and besides, he's gay. Paternity tests will be administered, fights will break out, and Rudi will get to the bottom of this. On the next Now_Rudi!"
Holy shit man! I'm dying over here! I'm juggling a gotomeeting, researching OSHA regulations on forklift attachments and of course BP is on the back burner and trying to keep my giggling to a minimum.

Plot twist....Kiki is a figment of Charles own imagination! (crowd delivers standing applause and "oooooooh"'s) Charles is F*cked! Today on Now_Rudi a special guest appearance from M Night Shyamalan to sort this shit out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogeeseegod View Post
Now_Rudi was filmed in front of a live studio audience!

Don't forget the baiting legal firm commercials! "Have you been injured in accident/Are you the victim of asbestos/mesothelioma/pelvic mesh"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Sorry OP....

But I love how 95% of the threads around here start as one thing and end with dating/marriage/life advice from Now_Rudi .
I'm just glad my ramblings are appreciated. I may not know much but I have no problem telling you about what I don't know.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      02-26-2019, 03:26 PM   #48
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
This should be called the engineer thread.... I feel like the rest of STEM does not want to participate.

Also - I did not know that Judy Rudi was a []D[]\/[][]D
Indeed, I am sir. I work for the company that owns Ragu and Bertoli.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 03:30 PM   #49
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

I have an MS in computer engineering but work with mmWave sensors for ADAS applications for a large semiconductor company. My job is pretty much all about analog and my degree is all about digital. Other than getting me a job my degree has been pretty useless.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 03:45 PM   #50
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

What up with all the misleading titles lately! Last was frags and now STEM lol

In all seriousness, I am in the 3D printing business and STEM is our focus this year thus jumping in this thread as soon as I saw it.

I got my degree in ME, but did not work a single second in the field. Went right to being a salesperson and been growing my skills and connections since forever. Have a few friends in engineering and all of them seem to be content with what they make but they seem to be always jumping ships and bitch about their bosses etc... Not sure what the deal is with them.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 04:02 PM   #51
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I've been in computers since I helped my junior high teacher configure the NEW Novel network to work with the DOS computers, me doing most of the TCP/IP configuration and setting up printer sessions.
I'm just about to hire only my second employee, I've long been an Army of One. I'm about topped out on the pay scale, but if I bring in employee duties I might have a little more head room. There are 2 issues with that though 1) I LIKE getting my hands "dirty" doing the work and 2)They are threatening me to be converted to salaried if I get employees.
The only certification I ever got was A+ (LOL) by I think I pretty much qualify for a PhD in Google.

We have ACAD 3D at around 2014 level, with a check-out of the license for each engineer that might use it. Few if any changes, they just use it to review drawings.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 04:25 PM   #52
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I pretty much qualify for a PhD in Google.
That's my usual M.O. People always ask me how I learned to do all the stuff I do. I just smile and think, "Thanks, Google."

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 06:39 PM   #53
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
My is Now_Rudi but used to be Judy and I approve TheWatchGuy's sig.
Ha! I didn't know you were Judy!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:29 PM   #54
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Almost the same boat as the OP, only I'm still in the Marines and going for an ECE degree. Took the MATLAB course last semester and I can see a lot of uses for it on the electronic side (FoR for LC come to mind). I'm looking to transfer schools though for a potential job and also to focus on electrical instead dueling computer (I find Java, C#, ect, very boring and that's all my school teaches for the comp part). The potential school also offers an accelerated masters.
      02-27-2019, 08:52 AM   #55
boglehead
Mechanical Engineer
Rep
Drives: '17 M3

A lot of insight on the technical versus managerial side of engineering here.

I often wonder how my situation at 32 with minimal management background would fair.

I am a nerd at heart and I know I will want to be on the technical side for a while. That being said now, who knows how I will feel 6 years from now. I am always a heavy planner. Even my finances I am a Quicken nerd and schedule things in a preliminary manner 6-12 months in advance from now.

The only issue I see trying to make a long term plan on the engineering side of things is I do not know what to expect yet. I feel my malleability is most important right now and just getting through school and landing a solid employment opportunity.

I am anxious to see how pairing my degree with my experience in destructive and non-destructive testing will treat me. I am sure my time as a Marine will look good, however my time as an infantry Marine does not convert over to much as far as knowledge that can be of much value to an employer. Of course the discipline and other behavioral factors that follow my experience in the Marines will look good. We will see I guess.

Again awesome chat in here so far, hopefully this thread sticks around and we can have it as a nice resource and place for us nerds to just chat.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 12:54 PM   #56
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
That's my usual M.O. People always ask me how I learned to do all the stuff I do. I just smile and think, "Thanks, Google."
Search is easy. Relating a generic search, following trajectories, and then coming to a related solution that produced desire results - THAT earns the PhD
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 12:59 PM   #57
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Any Docs here?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 01:08 PM   #58
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

huh?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 01:09 PM   #59
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Did you join this forum when you were 10?
haha, just noticed he joined 10 years ago
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 02:21 PM   #60
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Any Docs here?
Docs as in Ph.D?
You realize this is a STEM thread, yes?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 02:51 PM   #61
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Docs as in Ph.D?
You realize this is a STEM thread, yes?
Science = Medicine
Tech
Engineering
Mathematics
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 02:56 PM   #62
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Im not bad at Minecraft. Ask me anything you need to know!
Appreciate 2
      02-27-2019, 04:06 PM   #63
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Science = Medicine
Tech
Engineering
Mathematics
https://www.quora.com/Is-medicine-in...t-STEM-careers

Where I come from, we use the term "exact sciences", which is what I associate with STEM.
Medicine is definitely not an exact science. Exact sciences have no "placebo" in its vocabulary.
Science = Physics, Chemistry, etc.
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50
      02-27-2019, 04:47 PM   #64
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
https://www.quora.com/Is-medicine-in...t-STEM-careers

Where I come from, we use the term "exact sciences", which is what I associate with STEM.
Medicine is definitely not an exact science. Exact sciences have no "placebo" in its vocabulary.
Science = Physics, Chemistry, etc.
Where I come from it is considered STEM.

Can't get into medical school or even make it thought without excelling in the "exact sciences." Biochemistry, Microbiology, Immunology, etc. are all fundamental in medical studies and associated research.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 04:50 PM   #65
Dogeeseegod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Blue Water 128i-6

When I was in school there was a distinct division between life science and applied science. Once you finished your sophomore year you decided which direction you would head, especially in chemistry. The STEM program did not include life sciences. I graduated in 2013. There's my .02 but I welcome any life sciences majors to chime in if they like
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 05:44 PM   #66
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Quote:
Originally Posted by boglehead View Post
A lot of insight on the technical versus managerial side of engineering here.

I often wonder how my situation at 32 with minimal management background would fair.

I am a nerd at heart and I know I will want to be on the technical side for a while. That being said now, who knows how I will feel 6 years from now. I am always a heavy planner. Even my finances I am a Quicken nerd and schedule things in a preliminary manner 6-12 months in advance from now.

The only issue I see trying to make a long term plan on the engineering side of things is I do not know what to expect yet. I feel my malleability is most important right now and just getting through school and landing a solid employment opportunity.

I am anxious to see how pairing my degree with my experience in destructive and non-destructive testing will treat me. I am sure my time as a Marine will look good, however my time as an infantry Marine does not convert over to much as far as knowledge that can be of much value to an employer. Of course the discipline and other behavioral factors that follow my experience in the Marines will look good. We will see I guess.

Again awesome chat in here so far, hopefully this thread sticks around and we can have it as a nice resource and place for us nerds to just chat.
Were you a team or squad leader; maybe a Plt Sgt? I bet you have leadership experience in some aspect that can be translated into the civilian world to help you out. Hell, even if you've never wrote Pro/Con marks on others, you can still spin that system into some form that you know how to evaluate those under you. Leadership is a desired trait for civilian employers.