jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 i7 and '23 M8 Competition

hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu2002cs View Post
Great news, and it was great to meet you last Saturday. My i8 arrived Brunswick on a Thursday (like 2 am) and arrived at my dealer on the following Tuesday.
great meeting you, as well

2021 M8 Competition - Frozen Grey
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #310
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

SO, I am one of those people who obsesses with data!

and I am tracking the ship my car is on - the California Highway, a K Line boat, due into Brunswick on 15 October. Here is the pic
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #311
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

very excited the K Line boat (CALIFORNIA HIGHWAY) is now actually in the US - it's in Virginia Newport News Area as of a few minutes ago, headed up the channel to Baltimore. The car should be in Brunswick GA by Wednesday, and hopefully Dallas a few days after that!!

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #312
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Car is now at Brunswick VPC/VDC as of a few minutes ago.

Very excited it should be here in Dallas in a few days!

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #313
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwestfield View Post
Car is now at Brunswick VPC/VDC as of a few minutes ago.

Very excited it should be here in Dallas in a few days!
Soon...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #314
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

my i8 is delayed in brunswick due to an issue that all i8's must be checked for - something about a ground wire to fuel tank

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #315
Arezzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M5, 2018 Carrera T

Quote:
my i8 is delayed in brunswick due to an issue that all i8's must be checked for - something about a ground wire to fuel tank
That is bad luck, no recall on mine yet. I will check tomorrow.
Had the car 5 days now, soon I will prepare some more extensive comments. So far I am not enamoured by the i8. Maybe I was expecting too much. Despite it's amazing exterior which promises so much, the drive is more than a tad disappointing, the synthezised sound in Sport so artificial. The feature in the i3 which I liked so much regen braking is hardly noticable. Pure Impulse with Carum Grey is satisfactory, but overall interior materials are very average. Steering wheel leather for instance.
As regards road excitment, driving responses etc it has none of the thrills of my previous R8, 458 and even the late departed FF. My wife's new M4 was an immediate hit with me. I dislike Comfort mode which switches the engine off/on. I end up either in complete e drive (kind of fascinating, but 15-18mile range ) or Sport (with the drone )
I collect classic cars and perhaps the mechanical nature and physical feel of those cars, which were continued into my previously owned sports cars makes me a poor candidate for the future of motoring.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #316
Peggsy
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 & Jag Project 7

My i8 is now reportedly in the "Pre-Assembly Start" phase which means all the parts that have been created separately are being put together. Should see it (UK) in about 2-3 weeks !!! Excited !!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #317
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arezzo View Post
That is bad luck, no recall on mine yet. I will check tomorrow.
Had the car 5 days now, soon I will prepare some more extensive comments. So far I am not enamoured by the i8. Maybe I was expecting too much. Despite it's amazing exterior which promises so much, the drive is more than a tad disappointing, the synthezised sound in Sport so artificial. The feature in the i3 which I liked so much regen braking is hardly noticable. Pure Impulse with Carum Grey is satisfactory, but overall interior materials are very average. Steering wheel leather for instance.
As regards road excitment, driving responses etc it has none of the thrills of my previous R8, 458 and even the late departed FF. My wife's new M4 was an immediate hit with me. I dislike Comfort mode which switches the engine off/on. I end up either in complete e drive (kind of fascinating, but 15-18mile range ) or Sport (with the drone )
I collect classic cars and perhaps the mechanical nature and physical feel of those cars, which were continued into my previously owned sports cars makes me a poor candidate for the future of motoring.
Good info - I rode in one a few weeks ago. It certainly is not an m6 or other nice high end BMW car - its outside is amazing, and the inside finish out is 'ok' but nothing spectacular, but I was impressed with acceleration, etc., but I was only riding in it for about 15 min vs. 5 days!!

Curious to know more about your thoughts!!

- John

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #318
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It's here today!!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #319
mu2002cs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8

Congratulations! Been a long wait. Make sure the dealer looks for scratches on the carbon fiber battery cover underneath the car. This has been a problem on several cars and is believed to be an issue during handling in the rail yard. If the panel is scratched, they need to report it. Mine is being replaced, once stock is available.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 02:10 PM   #320
Arezzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M5, 2018 Carrera T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu2002cs View Post
Congratulations! Been a long wait. Make sure the dealer looks for scratches on the carbon fiber battery cover underneath the car. This has been a problem on several cars and is believed to be an issue during handling in the rail yard. If the panel is scratched, they need to report it. Mine is being replaced, once stock is available.
Thanks for the tip !
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #321
Reshdiu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Garage List
2014 i8  [0.00]
2014 X5 m50d  [0.00]
2014 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggsy View Post
My i8 is now reportedly in the "Pre-Assembly Start" phase which means all the parts that have been created separately are being put together. Should see it (UK) in about 2-3 weeks !!! Excited !!
When did you order yours ?
Is it the impulse package?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 02:28 PM   #322
Reshdiu
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2014 i8  [0.00]
2014 X5 m50d  [0.00]
2014 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
and I am tracking the ship my car is on - the California Highway, a K Line boat, due into Brunswick on 15 October. Here is the pic
How are you able to track your car?
Purchased a good few bmw over the years here in uk, never knew you can track its build progress
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 06:10 PM   #323
Peggsy
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reshdiu View Post
When did you order yours ?
Is it the impulse package?
Hi, I ordered in nov/dec 2013 and have selected PI. As for your question about tracking, you can ask the dealer or, if you go to the BMW i8 website page you can track it by talking to someone in the online chat (working hours only). The US have more options for tracking
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #324
KKSigs
M4 CSL FBG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL FBG

Finally went into production with pure impulse package. Let the final waiting begin!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #325
Reshdiu
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2014 i8  [0.00]
2014 X5 m50d  [0.00]
2014 M4  [0.00]
evening - have you been given a delivery date yet ?
I have been told that ours will be at the dealership w/c 8th Dec
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 06:36 AM   #326
Peggsy
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reshdiu View Post
evening - have you been given a delivery date yet ?
I have been told that ours will be at the dealership w/c 8th Dec
Mine was unfortunately held up in Germany for some unknown reason. Finished build on 20 Oct but only just been released to carrier for transport away from the factory. Should be here first week of Dec but possibly last week Nov if I'm lucky...

Out of curiosity, where and when did you order?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #327
KKSigs
M4 CSL FBG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL FBG

My wont be completed until Nov 24. Then wait for ship. How long did the production process take from start to completion. BMW is claiming 2 weeks but I thought quicker than that.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 11:04 AM   #328
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKSigua View Post
My wont be completed until Nov 24. Then wait for ship. How long did the production process take from start to completion. BMW is claiming 2 weeks but I thought quicker than that.
In my case, I think it either left the factory or arrived at the port on the date they originally said it would be completed. But with the QA checks and how some cars were completed and held while cars produced after got shipped (Anyone heard from drlonline?), who knows. Hopefully not too long for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 03:01 PM   #329
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
In my case, I think it either left the factory or arrived at the port on the date they originally said it would be completed. But with the QA checks and how some cars were completed and held while cars produced after got shipped (Anyone heard from drlonline?), who knows. Hopefully not too long for you.
Okay, I guess I’ve been in mourning long enough. I dropped off this blog for the last couple months for a couple reasons. First, I cancelled the order for my i8 and second, I spent a month in the hospital recovering from a burst appendix. Sadly, the second reason was the cause of the first reason.

Briefly, here is my tale of woe. When I last left this blog, I was anxiously awaiting the delivery of my i8, which was on a ship transporting it to California. Arrival at the VDC was scheduled for October 4. In early September, I had a business trip to Hong Kong. The day after I arrived in Hong Kong, I experienced some stomach nausea that quickly degenerated into excruciating pain in my abdomen. Within 12 hours, I was in a hospital getting my appendix, which had burst, removed. Without getting into the medical details, there were complications from the first surgery which led to a second surgery a week later. Before it was all said and done, I ended up spending a month recovering in the hospital in Hong Kong. Suffice it to say, I was not a happy camper.

I returned to the U.S. on the same weekend my car was to arrive at the VDC. Unfortunately, I was a wreck, both physically and emotionally. It probably goes without saying that to spend a month in the hospital is a very trying experience, only made worse by having that hospital be in a foreign country, thousands of miles away from family and friends. It was with tremendous sadness that I contacted my dealer to let him know I was in no condition to take delivery of the car. It took me nearly a month before I was able to return to work, so I just felt overwhelmed by the whole experience and incapable of handling the purchase of a new car.

I like to think that everything happens for a reason, so maybe I just wasn’t meant to get the i8 at this time. I certainly intend to revisit it in a few years, when hopefully any initial production bugs have been worked out (and maybe the infamous display key will be available ). I still love the car, and enjoy reading with envy of the experiences of those of you who have taken delivery of their cars. Keep the posts coming, and hopefully I’ll be able to join your club in the future.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #330
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Okay, I guess I’ve been in mourning long enough. I dropped off this blog for the last couple months for a couple reasons. First, I cancelled the order for my i8 and second, I spent a month in the hospital recovering from a burst appendix. Sadly, the second reason was the cause of the first reason.
Damn, I had assumed you just decided to pass on the i8. Sorry to hear about the medical problems. I can't imagine going through a ruptured appendix (watched an friend go through it), let alone having it happen abroad.
Appreciate 0