BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

05-04-2018, 08:57 PM   #1
perryy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 Rex

Navigation Updates

I got my 2017 i3 from the dealer a month ago. I was surprised to find that the navigation map data is a couple years or so out of date. I drove over to the Charlotte area and found that the map did not know that I-485 is complete around Charlotte.
For the last several years I've just been using my iPhone on the dash for navigation rather than buying current DVDs for my previous BMW.
I called the dealer, and he said I could get the data updated at any BMW dealer without charge. Does anyone have experience with doing this?
Also, why does BMW not keep my map data current over the radio?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 12:49 PM   #2
baldyloxx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i3Rex

From what I understand you are usually charged for Map Updates.. Take advantage if you can.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
jaiden3301
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryy View Post
I got my 2017 i3 from the dealer a month ago. I was surprised to find that the navigation map data is a couple years or so out of date. I drove over to the Charlotte area and found that the map did not know that I-485 is complete around Charlotte.
For the last several years I've just been using my iPhone on the dash for navigation rather than buying current DVDs for my previous BMW.
I called the dealer, and he said I could get the data updated at any BMW dealer without charge. Does anyone have experience with doing this?
Also, why does BMW not keep my map data current over the radio?
with the new idrive - 2018 + you automatically get navigation data updated by the built in 4G network - not sure if 2017 idrives have that capability

map updates from dealers are usually not free but software updates under warranty usually cover them
Appreciate 0