Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

04-28-2024, 12:39 PM   #1
Marcusoweni8
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Engine Coolant Leak

Backstory: 2015 i8 smacked 2 curbs in the back, wrecked the rear suspension and broke an engine mount. The engine fell on the left side a few inches. The car then sat for 6 years.

I’m finishing up the rebuild now, but after about 30 minutes of driving a coolant leak had started in the rear of the engine. (It hasn’t leaked a drop before then though)

I started it up the next day, the coolant leak stopped for around 30min of driving then started again. Kinda dumps coolant too. Not a small leak

From what I can see the leak seems to be coming from the front of the engine, under the intake, somewhat higher up. And on both left and right of the engine

It doesn’t look like the thermostat or water pump because the leak is coming from the other side too. It’s not the 2 pipes with broken welds in the middle of the car either. I looked at the oil cooler and I don’t think it’s that either but not 100%

Didn’t see anything after taking off the air filter. Circled pic is where leak seems to be

No rubber or engine hoses on the car that I can see look dry rotted. The seals I have seen don’t look dry rotted. And if a hose was ripped off during the crash I don’t know why it would be an intermittent leak

Question is, any ideas what could be leaking? It only seems to leak after a hard drive or when the thermostat opens
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 08:48 AM   #2
thesubmitter
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 BMW i8 Acura MDX

Out of curiosity I got the the impression that a full engine replace of the i8 is pretty cheap comparatively since it is just a tuned mini engine -is that the case?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 08:45 AM   #3
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

If $20k is your idea of pretty cheap...
Appreciate 0