premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
How did you adapt to the change from NZ to Texas? That must've been quite a change I'd assume. I guess it also depends what part of Texas too.
It wasn't too bad apart from learning a new language, and learning to drive on the wrong side of the car and the wrong side of the road. Otherwise it was pretty easy.
And getting used to the imperial system vs. the metric system lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 07:06 PM   #46
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Not so much - I was familiar with both, but the one that gets me to this day is fl oz. Cannot wrap my head around that at all. Every time someone asks me "you want the 12oz or the 20oz" I'm like a deer in headlights. Show me the glass and I'll point to one of them. Still to this day cannot get my head to remember anything about fl oz.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8211.00
      04-28-2020, 07:11 PM   #47
drledford93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus RS (RIP), C43 AMG

Quote:
Not so much - I was familiar with both, but the one that gets me to this day is fl oz. Cannot wrap my head around that at all. Every time someone asks me "you want the 12oz or the 20oz" I'm like a deer in headlights. Show me the glass and I'll point to one of them. Still to this day cannot get my head to remember anything about fl oz.
1 oz = 30ml

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 07:16 PM   #48
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
You ever seen a Big Gulp from 7-11? That's 30oz from what I know, so you can make your decision on what you want after picturing one of those lol
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 07:34 PM   #49
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Just remember a standard soda can is 12oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 11:39 PM   #50
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drledford93 View Post
1 oz = 30ml

Which is a shot right?
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2020, 11:40 PM   #51
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You ever seen a Big Gulp from 7-11? That's 30oz from what I know, so you can make your decision on what you want after picturing one of those lol
Only on Dumb and Dumber. But I'll remember that!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 11:42 PM   #52
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Just remember a standard soda can is 12oz.
I try - but by tomorrow I will forget. I just cannot retain anything about fl oz and I have no idea why!
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2020, 08:49 AM   #53
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Threadjack Alert Level 4

The problem with oz and fl oz is, why does English from time to time insist on using the same word to describe totally different things. This is like what happened in Florida when they tried to call mahi-mahi "dolphin". Suddenly dive bars and tiki huts all around the state had to calm down customers who thought they had the dead carcass of Flipper hanging on a hook in the back.

Anyway, one thing is a liquid measurement of volume. The other way is a dry measurement of weight. One goes up into a pint/gallon, the other into a pound. No wonder people are confused!

Why wouldn't they just call an ounce an ounce and come up with any other random name for the other thing?? Like...I dunno...Awkwafina. So you could easily and clearly be able to go to the fast food counter and order an 8oz burger with a 12-awkwafina bottle of...Aquafina
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34184.50
Rmtt8211.00
      04-29-2020, 09:00 AM   #54
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
I try - but by tomorrow I will forget. I just cannot retain anything about fl oz and I have no idea why!

psychological block perhaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
dinonz3216.00
      04-29-2020, 09:08 AM   #55
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
It wasn't too bad apart from learning a new language, and learning to drive on the wrong side of the car and the wrong side of the road. Otherwise it was pretty easy.

We (in North America) drive on the right side of the road, ergo, we drive on the right side of the road.

I also take great delight in using the same argument for politics. I'm on the right side of the spectrum, so I must be on the right side.

Quote:
Simple. Do you want less, or do you want more? That's what the question boils down to.

What does surprise me though in America, being the land of supersize pretty much anything, is they refuse to offer a proper pint. Their pint is 16-17 oz, while a proper pint is 20 oz. One would have thought that they would have gone the other route and made it common place to offer minimum of 20 oz and likely more.

That being said, much like Canada, I'm sure they offer steins and etc which exceed 20oz.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 10:29 AM   #56
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

If you're talking about beer, most places with taps offer pints, no?

For all the non alcoholic drinks that matter to most Americans, you can get a pint - you just have to order it in Italian for some reason (venti)
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2020, 10:37 AM   #57
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
My friends think I'm some genius and/or I became very whitewashed in my time here because I use fahrenheit when I'm in the states and celcius when in turkey, same for most other measurements too

The american system is easier to use daily, fuck if I know how warm/cold it is out by numbers. All I know is if it's below 50 is jacket, 50-60F out it's hoodie weather, 65+ is shorts and t-shirt weather. 60 mph boils to 1 mile a minute so if i'm 10 miles away from somewhere strong chance it's "about 10 minutes away". What's a "regular" drink here is a medium for portions back home so if I'm grabbing food I'll get regular. I couldn't tell you how much stuff is in there by numbers I just know it's way too much

Of course you can say the same thing about the metric system but it's not as easy I think to make these ""calculations"" in your head. 15-20C varies greatly more than a 5F change does in fahrenheit, if it's windy out 15C can be pushing jackets even but if it's a sunny 20C you can be sweating in shorts etc
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8211.00
      04-29-2020, 10:54 AM   #58
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
My friends think I'm some genius and/or I became very whitewashed in my time here because I use fahrenheit when I'm in the states and celcius when in turkey, same for most other measurements too

The american system is easier to use daily, fuck if I know how warm/cold it is out by numbers. All I know is if it's below 50 is jacket, 50-60F out it's hoodie weather, 65+ is shorts and t-shirt weather. 60 mph boils to 1 mile a minute so if i'm 10 miles away from somewhere strong chance it's "about 10 minutes away". What's a "regular" drink here is a medium for portions back home so if I'm grabbing food I'll get regular. I couldn't tell you how much stuff is in there by numbers I just know it's way too much

Of course you can say the same thing about the metric system but it's not as easy I think to make these ""calculations"" in your head. 15-20C varies greatly more than a 5F change does in fahrenheit, if it's windy out 15C can be pushing jackets even but if it's a sunny 20C you can be sweating in shorts etc
LOL...same here. Being in the Chemical Industry, we use °C on a regular basis!
      04-29-2020, 11:45 AM   #59
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
We (in North America) drive on the right side of the road, ergo, we drive on the right side of the road.

I also take great delight in using the same argument for politics. I'm on the right side of the spectrum, so I must be on the right side.

Simple. Do you want less, or do you want more? That's what the question boils down to.

What does surprise me though in America, being the land of supersize pretty much anything, is they refuse to offer a proper pint. Their pint is 16-17 oz, while a proper pint is 20 oz. One would have thought that they would have gone the other route and made it common place to offer minimum of 20 oz and likely more.

That being said, much like Canada, I'm sure they offer steins and etc which exceed 20oz.
No, it's the wrong side of the road, because you're on the wrong side of the car. And I say wrong for 2 good reasons:

1. I (like most people) am right handed, and if driving one handed while stirring gears with my other hand on a slippery road, I would rather have my right hand on the steering wheel.

2. It's practically impossible to moneyshift. You'd have to do something amazingly stupid to moneyshift a right hand drive car.

And they refuse to offer a proper pint because they don't have a proper quart because their gallon falls short - which is the basis for the drink size.

Those of us who use the metric system just point and laugh, and those who cling to the imperial measures exclaim angrily that it's better for some reason. But remember this - countries that use the metric system don't have short busses.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 12:25 PM   #60
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
No, it's the wrong side of the road, because you're on the wrong side of the car. And I say wrong for 2 good reasons:

1. I (like most people) am right handed, and if driving one handed while stirring gears with my other hand on a slippery road, I would rather have my right hand on the steering wheel.

2. It's practically impossible to moneyshift. You'd have to do something amazingly stupid to moneyshift a right hand drive car.

And they refuse to offer a proper pint because they don't have a proper quart because their gallon falls short - which is the basis for the drink size.

Those of us who use the metric system just point and laugh, and those who cling to the imperial measures exclaim angrily that it's better for some reason. But remember this - countries that use the metric system don't have short busses.
But...it is the right hand side of the road that we drive on....and therefore the right side of the road that we drive on...and therefore, we drive on the right side of the road....

On the moneyshift argument, I think you have to do something amazingly stupid either way to moneyshift, regardless. Though I do have a close friend who managed to pull this amazing feat off while on a bridge. Even though he clutched extremely quickly, he said he still saw the tach at something like 8500 if memory serves...far above what any Nissan Sentra should be capable of achieving lol! Oh man he was pissing his pants, we've roasted him ever since too as we're all car guys. Surprisingly, nothing bad actually happened, car was fine. He definitely turned that one in at end of lease though.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 12:37 PM   #61
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

running from the police. only once though. I was just not in the mood for dealing with them that day. GTR 1, cops 0.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2020, 01:08 PM   #62
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
But...it is the right hand side of the road that we drive on....and therefore the right side of the road that we drive on...and therefore, we drive on the right side of the road....

On the moneyshift argument, I think you have to do something amazingly stupid either way to moneyshift, regardless. Though I do have a close friend who managed to pull this amazing feat off while on a bridge. Even though he clutched extremely quickly, he said he still saw the tach at something like 8500 if memory serves...far above what any Nissan Sentra should be capable of achieving lol! Oh man he was pissing his pants, we've roasted him ever since too as we're all car guys. Surprisingly, nothing bad actually happened, car was fine. He definitely turned that one in at end of lease though.
I still have a couple bent pushrods in a drawer somewhere from the one time I went from the top of third to second racing a Mustang in my SS
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 01:26 PM   #63
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Not really - heat of the moment, your body tenses as you go to slam the gear lever from 3rd to 4th, and that tension in your body causes a natural pull towards your body - especially if you hold the gear lever like a pistol, rather than the way Gordon Ramsey would hold an egg to slice it.
Appreciate 1
Joekerr7929.00
      04-29-2020, 01:29 PM   #64
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
ORCL in 2002, although I never saw it as much of a risk tbh.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 01:37 PM   #65
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

When I held strong during the most recent stock market crash. That was tuff.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2020, 02:34 PM   #66
drledford93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus RS (RIP), C43 AMG

Quote:
Which is a shot right?
Yes sir!
Appreciate 1
dinonz3216.00