Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

06-21-2021, 01:10 PM   #1
rocknpop
Rep
Drives: Acura 3.2CLS

Will a 2000 Z3 2.3i be fast and fun enough?

Here's the deal - I'm looking to buy a fun car. I want it to be a BMW. I like the roadster....

There is a 2000 Z3 2.3 in great condition (manual) that I could buy today but I would have to drive almost 2 hours for it ($8.5K). What is top of mind is this Would this Z3 2.3 MT be "fun enough" or have the power I'm looking for with only 170hp?

My logic (need to test if this is sound) is that 170hp in a small and lightweight car is more than enough. I'm NOT looking to track the car and not looking to take it on long 3+ hour drives. THis is literally a summer car that is fun to drive. A toy. but the question is - is it "fun enough" or does it leave you wanting more? Is the BMW driving experience there?

Yes.... I can validate all this by drving one. The one that is available is 2 hours away so the purpose of this post is to get opinions before wasting 5 hours of my life
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 02:25 PM   #2
br2wdc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E90 LMB

To me it would definitely be worth it! But to avoid wasting an entire day, you could reduce that to a few hours and check locally to try and drive one first to see if it makes sense for you.

Doing a quick search on cars.com for Zip Code 60623, there were nine Z3's, with five of them having manual transmissions:

https://www.cars.com/shopping/result...=&mileage_max=

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknpop View Post
Here's the deal - I'm looking to buy a fun car. I want it to be a BMW. I like the roadster....

There is a 2000 Z3 2.3 in great condition (manual) that I could buy today but I would have to drive almost 2 hours for it ($8.5K). What is top of mind is this Would this Z3 2.3 MT be "fun enough" or have the power I'm looking for with only 170hp?

My logic (need to test if this is sound) is that 170hp in a small and lightweight car is more than enough. I'm NOT looking to track the car and not looking to take it on long 3+ hour drives. THis is literally a summer car that is fun to drive. A toy. but the question is - is it "fun enough" or does it leave you wanting more? Is the BMW driving experience there?

Yes.... I can validate all this by drving one. The one that is available is 2 hours away so the purpose of this post is to get opinions before wasting 5 hours of my life

2011 E90 M3 | Le Mans Blue | DCT | Slicktop
“The end is inevitable Maverick, your kind is headed for extinction” … “maybe so sir, but not today” – Tom Cruise in Top Gun: Maverick
Previous: 2006 E90 330i | 6MT -- 2001 E39 540i | 6MT -- 1997 E36 M3 | Techno Violet | 5MT
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 02:26 PM   #3
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

What's your previous car ownership history?

If you owned a Miata or Celica, vs. if you owned a Mustang or Camaro let's say, will make a big difference on what others can predict.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 02:28 PM   #4
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknpop View Post

By your logic, think Miata. It may not be the most powerful out there, but the suspension and all around zippiness is great. You will have no worries that iti is not powerful enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 02:49 PM   #5
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
A Z3 2.3 is pretty gutless. I definitely would go for a Z3 3.0. It shouldn’t cost much more.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 03:29 PM   #6
rocknpop
Rep
Drives: Acura 3.2CLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
What's your previous car ownership history?

If you owned a Miata or Celica, vs. if you owned a Mustang or Camaro let's say, will make a big difference on what others can predict.
I owned an Acura CL 3.2 Type-S, manual. But it was front-wheel drive, heavy, and high to the ground.
Appreciate 0