Closed Thread

10-03-2018, 05:02 PM   #969
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I'm sure it is. Right after a more powerful GT86 and a convertible GT86 too.
Tada san never said a turbo 86 was coming. Those were made up rumors by media. The convertible 86 was dropped because no other market besides the US wanted it. Again, Tada san never said no to a manual for the Supra, and Toyota USA has confirmed one is being developed, so believe whatever you want to believe.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 05:27 PM   #970
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post
Quote:
I'm sure it is. Right after a more powerful GT86 and a convertible GT86 too.
Tada san never said a turbo 86 was coming. Those were made up rumors by media. The convertible 86 was dropped because no other market besides the US wanted it. Again, Tada san never said no to a manual for the Supra, and Toyota USA has confirmed one is being developed, so believe whatever you want to believe.
I will. They're comically conservative and the only people that want a manual Supra will again be Americans. It won't happen.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 05:42 PM   #971
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

"Made iconic in the movie 'The Fast and the Furious'".

Also made me a crap ton of money (relative to the car's value of course) because I bought mine in 2000 when nobody cared about it. Driving that thing around mid 2001 or so turned me into a rockstar overnight, lol.

What a weird time, and I never would have thought they'd retain their value this long.
Appreciate 1
supra932474.00
      10-03-2018, 05:57 PM   #972
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

3300lbs w/ driver?

Eh? Eh?

I wish...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 06:07 PM   #973
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I will. They're comically conservative and the only people that want a manual Supra will again be Americans. It won't happen.
If they are that conservative, then they wouldn't have even bother teaming up with BMW for this joint project; not to mention the upcoming GR Super Sport hype car. You do realize that half of 86 sales are manuals, and the US wasn't even the largest market for that car. Thats cool, I'll choose to believe ToyotaUSA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post

Also made me a crap ton of money (relative to the car's value of course) because I bought mine in 2000 when nobody cared about it. Driving that thing around mid 2001 or so turned me into a rockstar overnight, lol.

What a weird time, and I never would have thought they'd retain their value this long.
Yeah prices are crazy. I just saw a NA auto with 150k go for $20k. lol

Last edited by supra93; 10-03-2018 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
NickyC17350.50
      10-03-2018, 07:35 PM   #974
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If they are that conservative, then they wouldn't have even bother teaming up with BMW for this joint project; not to mention the upcoming GR Super Sport hype car. You do realize that half of 86 sales are manuals, and the US wasn't even the largest market for that car. Thats cool, I'll choose to believe ToyotaUSA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post

Yeah prices are crazy. I just saw a NA auto with 150k go for $20k. lol
I have wanted to buy a BRZ since they were announced. One test drive shows the stock motor to be severely lacking in development. I would have hoped that six years would have been long enough to rectify that. It hasn't even been slightly addressed, a "refresh" netted all of five hp and didn't address the torque dip at all.

From the sounds of things, Toyota and BMW haven't talked in four years and Toyota is just getting a chassis m, transmission and motor that they seemingly had nearly no input on. Honestly, I'd expect to see a hybrid Great Gazoo long before a manual, and if they do a manual, likely on a stripper with a four banger. Gross.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 07:45 PM   #975
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have wanted to buy a BRZ since they were announced. One test drive shows the stock motor to be severely lacking in development. I would have hoped that six years would have been long enough to rectify that. It hasn't even been slightly addressed, a "refresh" netted all of five hp and didn't address the torque dip at all.

From the sounds of things, Toyota and BMW haven't talked in four years and Toyota is just getting a chassis m, transmission and motor that they seemingly had nearly no input on. Honestly, I'd expect to see a hybrid Great Gazoo long before a manual, and if they do a manual, likely on a stripper with a four banger. Gross.
We both know that car isn't power so lets move along and get back on topic.

Do you have any source for that or is it just an assumption? Like I said before, insider A70TTR has said the 4 banger was not design for the US market and there is a chance that we might not even see it on our shores.

Two reasons, one is when looking back the US market was the only major market where the turbo models outsold the NAs almost two to one. Another reason is the American mindset of bigger is better. This also goes along with "Corvette is king".
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 07:51 PM   #976
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

We both know that car isn't power so lets move along and get back on topic.

Do you have any source for that or is it just an assumption? Like I said before, insider A70TTR has said the 4 banger was not design for the US market and there is a chance that we might not even see it on our shores.

Two reasons, one is when looking back the US market was the only major market where the turbo models outsold the NAs almost two to one. Another reason is the American mindset of bigger is better. This also goes along with "Corvette is king".
Just for my own edification, that awesome Mk4 sold for two model years? Or was it three? Why do we keep pretending like Toyota knows boo about selling sports cars?

And while your endless support for this car is charming, neither of us have driven it, seen it or really even been assured it will ever actually see the light of day.

I'm not against it, but Tada San seems about at as reliable as my mailman. Lots of promise, sparse delivery.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 07:59 PM   #977
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Just for my own edification, that awesome Mk4 sold for two model years? Or was it three? Why do we keep pretending like Toyota knows boo about selling sports cars?

And while your endless support for this car is charming, neither of us have driven it, seen it or really even been assured it will ever actually see the light of day.

I'm not against it, but Tada San seems about at as reliable as my mailman. Lots of promise, sparse delivery.
From 93-98, and to be fair other Japanese sports cars from that time period (300zx, RX7, SVX, 3000GT) also suffered from poor sales due to the SUV craze and more importantly the high yen to dollar exchange rate. No disagreement there, their North American marketing team sucks.

Lol, please show me where I said this thing will be the next best thing since sliced bread? I have mostly been just updating the thread and I think I have been pretty neutral. It's coming, let's use common sense now. They have already made announcements regarding the official debut, start of production, and sale date. Not to mention the millions that was spent on the R&D.

Well if that is how y'all feel towards Tada, good thing this thing is just a "reskin hardtop Z4" like many here have stated.

Last edited by supra93; 10-03-2018 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 08:01 PM   #978
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Aren't we having a similar run on SUV's again? I just think timing of this is unfortunate. If they'd just released the FT-1 ages ago, they'd have had better luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 08:10 PM   #979
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Aren't we having a similar run on SUV's again? I just think timing of this is unfortunate. If they'd just released the FT-1 ages ago, they'd have had better luck.
CUV, and yes; but they also adjusted output according. Less then 10,000 units will be made each year. Also another reason why they are splitting the cost with BMW. Sooner would have been nice, but it takes time to release a brand new product. The development process hasn't really been out of the norm for a new sports car.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 02:27 AM   #980
dkm
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Mehhhhh....I'm so disappointed with what this new Supra is all about. I had a 94 TT that I bought in 96 w 3500 miles for 23k. I remember when the original Supra forum was based out of Las Vegas and I also remember the first Supra meet here in 97. I ended up selling the car in 2014 w 27k miles and 1280whp. It broke my heart to sell it....but the 6 figure payout helped with the heart break.

Toyota needs to out do what the MK4 was all about.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 12:17 PM   #981
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Toyota is not building a JDM muscle car this time around. The fact they are benchmarking the Cayman says it all.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 12:35 PM   #982
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Toyota is not building a JDM muscle car this time around. The fact they are benchmarking the Cayman says it all.
Well, they decided to call their NASCAR Xfinity Series car a Supra from 2019. And since the competition is the Ford Mustang and the Chevrolet Camaro, you're going to have the better part of the 18-35 crowd in the southern US measuring it agains those cars. And let's give Toyota a little more credit than to have totally overlooked this fact - they knew this comparison would be a result of this marketing move, and they jumped in head first anyway.

So, by all appearances Toyota is positioning the car against multiple targets. You are correct in identifying that the car has been designed as a sports car this time rather than a muscle car or GT. However, it would appear that Toyota plans to attempt to woo buyers from all over the map. And I think for many folks who have been following the multiyear saga, this is exactly where the concern lies. When you try to design something for everyone, sometimes you end up designing it for no one in particular.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      10-04-2018, 12:44 PM   #983
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Euro press release.

https://newsroom.toyota.eu/new-toyot...upra-900-club/

Quote:
Brussels, 02 October 2018
New Toyota Supra priority orders open with membership to The Supra 900 Club
Following the announcement of the new Toyota Supra at the Geneva Motor Show in March, Toyota can confirm that online reservations for the first 900 units open on 2 October 2018 in major European sports car markets at first stage. Consumers in other markets will be kept up-to-date through the sign-up function on the Toyota Supra website until pre-order opens in those markets.

Faithful to its distinguished heritage as a pure, sports car, the thoroughbred fifth generation Toyota Supra features a front-mounted, 3.0 litre straight six-cylinder petrol engine with rear-wheel drive and active differential. The new two-seater package promises exhilarating driving performance, ensured by its perfectly balanced 50:50 weight distribution.

Production of the new Toyota Supra is due to commence next year with the first 900 European customers due to receive their cars after the summer. This privileged group of owners will not only have Toyota’s pure sports car at their fingertips, they’ll also be joining the Supra 900 Club. As members, they will have access to exclusive content, rewards and experiences in the build-up to delivery.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 01:48 PM   #984
Philb65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

So delivery of actual cars is a year off!!! It had better be very very special.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 02:35 PM   #985
supra93
Colonel
Rep

The best shot of the gauges.

Someone took a sneak peak.

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 03:03 PM   #986
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Agreed. This is going to be the poor man's Cayman. That's part of why I'm interested.
      10-04-2018, 03:18 PM   #987
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Quote:
Agreed. This is going to be the poor man's Cayman. That's part of why I'm interested.
Isn't that an Alfa 4C?
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      10-04-2018, 04:24 PM   #988
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Isn't that an Alfa 4C?

He meant the poor man's Cayman that won't break down regularly and/or crunch your vertebrae into herniation.

Appreciate 2
      10-04-2018, 05:08 PM   #989
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Quote:
Isn't that an Alfa 4C?
I need room for golf clubs or I'd buy a Cayman. Looking like I might be able to fit a set in the Supra. Fingers crossed.
      10-04-2018, 06:16 PM   #990
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

I’ve been following this thread closely because the Supra is really along the lines of what I would want....

But it just missed the mark.. no manual, no backseat, and not quite enough power.

With American cars bringing 450hp at $35k the Supra really needs AT LEAST 400hp at an asking price over $50k. And I’m sad because I like the looks of the Supra quite a bit, unlike the M2 which I find kind of tall and odd looking next to my E92.

If I could get a M2C skinned like a Supra I’d be all over it lol
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread