BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

05-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #1
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Questions about Donington Grey in the U.S.

Hey everyone - I have a few quick questions for the forum about Donington Grey on the i8 in the United States:

1. On the bmwusa 2020 i8 configurator, one of the color options is "Donington Grey." This is the only time on the configurator the color isn't listed as "Donington Grey Metallic." So do the Donington Grey i8s have a different paint than all the other BMWs that are Donington Grey Metallic, or is it the same color? I'm guessing it's the same color -- Donington Grey Metallic -- since it's mentioned like that on this post and this post. Just wanted to confirm.

2. What model years was the i8 offered in Donington Grey in the U.S.? Looks like it was available for 2019 (available Spring 2018) and 2020 model years in both the Coupe and Roadster?

3. At what point, if ever, did Donington Grey become a special order color for the U.S? Seems like that was mentioned on the forum at some point but wasn't confirmed and I'm curious.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 02:49 PM   #2
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I have a Donnington grey coupe and really like the color. It has always been labeled "special order" even though it is not so special; not an individual order. Not sure what the logic was there.
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      05-12-2020, 04:13 PM   #3
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
I have a Donnington grey coupe and really like the color. It has always been labeled "special order" even though it is not so special; not an individual order. Not sure what the logic was there.
So when I took my Coupe into to the dealer, they took the registration and asked what colour it was because the system had it as “Individual colour”. It is in fact Donington Grey. Semantics perhaps but I love the colour and mine is certainly metallic.
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      05-13-2020, 12:29 PM   #4
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
I have a Donington Grey i8 Roadster and a Donington Grey X5M, both colors are identical, so I'm not sure why it isn't listed as Metallic on the website for the i8.

Donington Grey was available for the 2019 and 2020 model years.

I was told Donington Grey is a special order/Individual color for the i8 Coupe and Roadster. Not sure why because it's a regular option for the X5M, M5, M8, and 7 series.
      06-12-2020, 01:06 AM   #5
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Hey everyone, thanks for this info. I work for a car shopping platform that allows people to search cars at the "window sticker" or "build sheet" level and I needed to figure out something regarding the i8 colors. For our upcoming test launch, we only have new BMW inventory, but we have it for the entire United States (every new BMW at every dealer) and every color, interior, package, and option should be searchable if we do our job.

Anyway, for anyone interested, the BMW order guide for the 2020 i8 shows paint code 490 (Special Order Color) as a standard color, but it doesn't list Donington Grey anywhere. While the BMWUSA "Build and Price" tool shows Donington Grey as a standard color on both the Coupe and Roadster. All the other colors match up between the order guide and "Build and Price" tool except 490 <> Donington Grey.

As far as I know, there's only one Donington Grey i8 for sale in the United States as of June 11, 2020. It shows up in our data and even on the dealer's website with paint code 490. I called the dealer (Rusnak BMW in SoCal) and they confirmed it's Donington Grey. The VIN is VINWBY2Z4C00L7F71437.
Appreciate 0