BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches

02-23-2014, 01:12 AM   #1
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

What do you watch gurus think of...

Hello watch lovers,

I want to buy a nice watch, i dont want to empty my savings account, i also don't want a cheap watch. My budget is about $700 to $1,200.

I want a watch with a blue dial. I love the Rolex Yatch master and the Omega Sea-master. So i've been looking at the Movado TC.

What do you watch gurus think of Movado? good brand? good reputation?

Thanks.

02-23-2014, 01:37 AM   #2
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
Hello watch lovers,

I want to buy a nice watch, i dont want to empty my savings account, i also don't want a cheap watch. My budget is about $700 to $1,200.

I want a watch with a blue dial. I love the Rolex Yatch master and the Omega Sea-master. So i've been looking at the Movado TC.

What do you watch gurus think of Movado? good brand? good reputation?

Thanks.

Personally, not a big fan of Movado.

Here's a great thread on the debate about them if you're interested.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/man-...re-657466.html

You can pickup used Omega SMP for under $1k.

New, I would look at Lum-tec, Citizen, Hamilton, or Seiko.

good luck.
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #3
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
Personally, not a big fan of Movado.

Here's a great thread on the debate about them if you're interested.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/man-...re-657466.html

You can pickup used Omega SMP for under $1k.

New, I would look at Lum-tec, Citizen, Hamilton, or Seiko.

good luck.
Thanks
      02-23-2014, 04:34 PM   #4
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

I love the aesthetics of Movado's designs. They are always well thought out and well executed. I own one Movado and I like it very much; however, it's also the only watch I've ever had an issue with in over 30 years of watch collecting.

My issue with the Movado I bought it that the crystal is dropped into the bezel from above rather than pushed up from underneath. The result of that approach to crystal placement in is that the crystal can fall off if the glue holding it in place fails. I experienced exactly such a failure with my Movado.

Now you might wonder why this matters. Well here's why:
  • Not in water: you pay to replace crystal and have the watch cleaned. Be assured, if it just falls from your wrist, the crystal will chip; it probably won't break altogether, but an edge or corner will chip and you'll have to replace the whole thing.
  • In water: you will pay to replace the crystal, movement, dial and maybe the hands. You'll also have to pay to have the case cleaned.
Moral of the story: if you are going to buy a watch that has a crystal glued in from above
  • Choose a mechanical watch --> water alone won't ruin the movement. Worst case you could stick the crystal back on and tape it down so you'd still have a watch capable of telling time until you get to the repair shop.
  • If you can't choose a mechanical watch --> don't wear it in water.
  • Either way --> have the watch serviced and the glue checked every three years so it can be replaced periodically.
The foregoing pertains to Movado as well as any other watch constructed as described.

Al the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 06:46 PM   #5
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

I have no prior experience w/ Movado, so I can't speak to it. But I have owned several Hamiltons and can attest to their craftsmanship, durability, and style. Especially for the price. How about something like this for $400 - $500?

2013 Jet Black 135is | 6MT | Coupe | #381/586

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #6
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I love the aesthetics of Movado's designs. They are always well thought out and well executed. I own one Movado and I like it very much; however, it's also the only watch I've ever had an issue with in over 30 years of watch collecting.

My issue with the Movado I bought it that the crystal is dropped into the bezel from above rather than pushed up from underneath. The result of that approach to crystal placement in is that the crystal can fall off if the glue holding it in place fails. I experienced exactly such a failure with my Movado.

Now you might wonder why this matters. Well here's why:
  • Not in water: you pay to replace crystal and have the watch cleaned. Be assured, if it just falls from your wrist, the crystal will chip; it probably won't break altogether, but an edge or corner will chip and you'll have to replace the whole thing.
  • In water: you will pay to replace the crystal, movement, dial and maybe the hands. You'll also have to pay to have the case cleaned.
Moral of the story: if you are going to buy a watch that has a crystal glued in from above
  • Choose a mechanical watch --> water alone won't ruin the movement. Worst case you could stick the crystal back on and tape it down so you'd still have a watch capable of telling time until you get to the repair shop.
  • If you can't choose a mechanical watch --> don't wear it in water.
  • Either way --> have the watch serviced and the glue checked every three years so it can be replaced periodically.
The foregoing pertains to Movado as well as any other watch constructed as described.

Al the best.
Thanks for this greatly detailed response.
I greatly appreciate your thoughts.

I've never really been into watches. I haven't worn one in almost 5yrs.

I just cant justify myself spending over $1,200 on a watch, i'm not trying to impress anyone. I can afford a Rolex/Omega/Breitling but that's not where my interest is.

99.9% of the people i meet daily can't even tell a Fossil from an Audemars.

I dont have a small dick so buying an expensive watch is not going to make me feel any better about myself than i already do.
      02-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #7
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen2001 View Post
I have no prior experience w/ Movado, so I can't speak to it. But I have owned several Hamiltons and can attest to their craftsmanship, durability, and style. Especially for the price. How about something like this for $400 - $500?

wow! Thats not bad at all!
      02-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #8
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
wow! Thats not bad at all!
It's kinda got that Omega Seamaster look that you're looking for, but without the price tag. And Hamilton is legit. The nice thing about Hamilton is that everyone knows it's a solid, well-made, semi-expensive watch without being obnoxious. I own a very expensive Seamaster and my daily watch is a Maurice Lacroix, but I would never look down on someone wearing a Hamilton. As a matter of fact, I would say something like "That guy knows watches."

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #9
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for this greatly detailed response.
I greatly appreciate your thoughts.
I just cant justify myself spending over $1,200 on a watch...

99.9% of the people i meet daily can't even tell a Fossil from an Audemars.
YW.

You may want to look here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926099.

I just posted a blue dial Obris Morgan that runs about $300: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=11.

Blue dials aren't hard to come by. Archimede have a nice one also. (pic below. If you are committed to very modern, sleek looks like that of Movado, you are most likely going to have two options:
  • Spend coin you don't want to spend -- design is expensive. As with household art, original watch "art" costs a lot compared to its more mundane peers. If you don't know what I mean, ask your local kitchen supply guy the cost of Pogghenpol versus similarly well made but typically stylled cabinets, or the cost of Gaggenau versus Wolf or Blue Star, or Lieber versus GE Monogram.
  • Find someone who does a suitable knock-off of a Movado.
The unfortunate truth is that folks buy Movado (and Rado) for what what it looks like more than anything else. That's true to one extent or another for most watches, but far more so with Movado. As far as I know, Movado remains the only watch to be "museum" level in terms of its aesthetic design. Folks will pay for that sort of thing.

If you really aren't trying to impress, I suggest you just take a look at Overstock.com, Ashford, and some other popular grey market sellers and find something you like, both the price and the looks.

To be sure, even folks buying AP watches shouldn't buy them to please anyone other than themselves. Doing the former just seems silly. What kind of mental issues must one have to spend $15K+ in order to gain the approval of someone else? I really don't know, but I sure wish I knew some folks who do that. I'm more than happy to show them how to impress me, of course, that would mean buying the watch for me rather than for themselves.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #10
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It's kinda got that Omega Seamaster look that you're looking for, but without the price tag. And Hamilton is legit. The nice thing about Hamilton is that everyone knows it's a solid, well-made, semi-expensive watch without being obnoxious. I own a very expensive Seamaster and my daily watch is a Maurice Lacroix, but I would never look down on someone wearing a Hamilton. As a matter of fact, I would say something like "That guy knows watches."
You rock a Maurice Lacroix for daily? wow. You're the man!
Thanks for your input.
      02-24-2014, 07:51 AM   #11
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
YW.

You may want to look here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926099.

I just posted a blue dial Obris Morgan that runs about $300: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=11.

Blue dials aren't hard to come by. Archimede have a nice one also. (pic below. If you are committed to very modern, sleek looks like that of Movado, you are most likely going to have two options:
  • Spend coin you don't want to spend -- design is expensive. As with household art, original watch "art" costs a lot compared to its more mundane peers. If you don't know what I mean, ask your local kitchen supply guy the cost of Pogghenpol versus similarly well made but typically stylled cabinets, or the cost of Gaggenau versus Wolf or Blue Star, or Lieber versus GE Monogram.
  • Find someone who does a suitable knock-off of a Movado.
The unfortunate truth is that folks buy Movado (and Rado) for what what it looks like more than anything else. That's true to one extent or another for most watches, but far more so with Movado. As far as I know, Movado remains the only watch to be "museum" level in terms of its aesthetic design. Folks will pay for that sort of thing.

If you really aren't trying to impress, I suggest you just take a look at Overstock.com, Ashford, and some other popular grey market sellers and find something you like, both the price and the looks.

To be sure, even folks buying AP watches shouldn't buy them to please anyone other than themselves. Doing the former just seems silly. What kind of mental issues must one have to spend $15K+ in order to gain the approval of someone else? I really don't know, but I sure wish I knew some folks who do that. I'm more than happy to show them how to impress me, of course, that would mean buying the watch for me rather than for themselves.

All the best.
The Orbis Morgan you uploaded on the other forum looks better the this Archimede. Way better.
I just added the Orbis M. to other watches to consider.
      02-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #12
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The Orbis Morgan you uploaded on the other forum looks better the this Archimede. Way better.
+1. The Obris Morgan is really nice. I haven't seen that one before. That's over in the "Help with Purchase" thread. Here's a pic:

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #13
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cool. Glad you like one of them.

I imagine you have a sport watch more in mind than a dress watch???

Check out Limes (~$850 - $1K) and Deep Blue (~$400 - $900). Both are great, sturdy well made watches. Both have solidly reliable work horse movements

All the best.

Limes

Deep Blue

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #14
Etek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

While I do like the Obris Morgan..the "30" being wrongside up looks weird to me. I wanted one before I saw that. I have a Seiko SBDC003 blue "sumo" that I've been wearing everyday since I got it. Until today when my Steinhart B-UHR just came in so will give that a go. The question what kind of watch do you want? Dive..dress..etc what size do you want as well. Pic of the blumo and a very nice Victorinox

has a clear caseback to see the movement as well
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 05:49 PM   #15
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etek View Post
While I do like the Obris Morgan..the "30" being wrongside up looks weird to me. I wanted one before I saw that.
Didn't notice until you just brought it up. I still really like that watch, and the "30" doesn't bother me in the least. Good find, though.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #16
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Didn't notice until you just brought it up. I still really like that watch, and the "30" doesn't bother me in the least. Good find, though.
Various makers handles the placement of the numerals on a dive bezel differently, but most do opt for the placement like the Seiko. One can find the same sort of variety with the way numbers are oriented on the main time dial as well.

For myself, seeing as any diver I wear is a "desk diver," I'm not fussed about it, just as you aren't. Clearly it's just an aesthetic detail. I doubt anyone would be uncertain of how to interpret the watch's display and in some ways I suspect there are people who will appreciate that the 30 reads right-side up in the "home" position.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #17
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
You have a picture of the maurice lacroix, that's was one I looked at when trying to find a blue dial watch. Still haven't found the one yet besides a spendy german glashutte I think.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 06:18 PM   #18
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
You have a picture of the maurice lacroix, that's was one I looked at when trying to find a blue dial watch. Still haven't found the one yet besides a spendy german glashutte I think.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...8#post15376378

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 06:30 PM   #19
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Okay so a sport watch, I was thinking of the pontos day/date blue faced dress watch.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #20
ClamDigger
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 xi, Premium & Sport

I've had a Movado Sport as my main watch for many years now. I've had zero issues with it and still get a lot of compliments on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 08:07 PM   #21
djpatrick35
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xDrive 6 Spd

I'm not a big fan of Movado myself, just because I don't like the empty dial.

In that price range, I'd look at Hamilton or Oris.

If you want a more well-known brand and don't mind quartz, then a Tag Aquaracer might be a good option for you.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #22
BavarianN54
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

Movado is a designer- fashion watch. I wouldn't wear one.
Appreciate 0