BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

09-17-2022, 02:32 PM   #1
Jjoynt
Private
Rep
Drives: AY F82 CCBs MPE

F82 M4 to i8

Anyone else made this change? Daily driving my M4 (only 10mi/day) has become very annoying between the clunky DCT at slow speeds and the extremely stiff suspension.

Thinking the i8 may be better for my needs? If wanted I could remain on electric all day. Two seats and the minimal storage is not a concern.

Ideally, I'd keep my M4 for the weekend, but having $2,500 in car payments probably isn't a great idea for me right now.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 06:05 AM   #2
DannyB83
Registered
England
Rep
Drives: i8 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjoynt View Post
Anyone else made this change? Daily driving my M4 (only 10mi/day) has become very annoying between the clunky DCT at slow speeds and the extremely stiff suspension.

Thinking the i8 may be better for my needs? If wanted I could remain on electric all day. Two seats and the minimal storage is not a concern.

Ideally, I'd keep my M4 for the weekend, but having $2,500 in car payments probably isn't a great idea for me right now.
I came out of an M4 competition into my i8 about a year ago. I don't regret it but there are things I miss about the M4, it was quicker and in my opinion more fun to drive.
The i8 as you probably know is a lot cheaper to run, I get around 40ish mpg (probably double what I got in the M4), Road tax is free in the uk and servicing is cheaper plus it gets more attention, usually all positive attention too. The steering is also way lighter. However it still has a very stiff suspension and hardly any storage.
They're both great cars in my opinion
      09-18-2022, 10:50 AM   #3
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
I went from an M4 competition to an M2C then into the i8. I'm very happy with the move.

I love my M cars, but the i8 is just a completely different type of car. It gets much more attention on the road than my M cars ever got (if that's your thing) and it's more of a GT, than an all out sports car. It is still deceptively fast, especially with the e-boost assistance from the batteries.

It's less practical, but the rear seats can be used reasonably with children, and very short-term runs with any reasonably tall adults.

Fuel economy in the i8 is much better. If you do a lot of local journeys, you can run on full electric. I'm currently getting 62mpg in mine with a charge to full each night. That's mostly motorway with some rural driving. I have an LCI model with the bigger battery.

Interior is nice with lots of full leather and dry carbon inlays. Nice place to sit and very comfortable, but difficult to get in and out of.

To me is just a very special and perhaps underrated car.
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 12:32 PM   #4
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

My 2 cents: I had 2x i8 coupe leases, then I switched to M8 wannabe (Mi..whatever is called) and then I leased my current i8 roadster; I decided to keep it/buy it, it's so cool…I can do electric only, sport for fun…and doors are awesome…if I ever feel sad for any reason I take my i8 for drive…it's better than any therapy 🤣
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 06:27 PM   #5
ghaffari46
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e90

I came from m3, m6 and then m5 first edition to my current i8 as my daily drive ( even in Pennsylvania winter!) and I don't regret it at all. It's fun to drive, relatively light on steering, well balanced car and the most important thing: unlike a m car, I don't have to drive it fast to enjoy it, so I'm much less an A hole bimmer driver now compare when I wan a m3 driver!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 01:28 PM   #6
tommyb13662
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I come from a 135i then 1m then Audi TTS. Still have the TTS as its my best short track/AutoX car yet. I bought aTesla p100D got disgusted by it and traded for my I8. I have had some issues with the i8... but hands down my favorite yet. In southern GA/jax area. Im in a few car clubs. I spank mustang gt, challengers and chargers all the time. Of course once a hellcat hooks they reel me in. But with the tune I have pretty much guaranteed I beet them to 60. Just redlight burps not real racing. Have a friend with challenger T/A. Cammed, headrs, tuned etc 525whp. Hates that I beat him EVERY time. Im sure past 60 he would reel me in... but I love teasing him that the mighty v8 is trashed by a 3 cylinder. I have seen sub 4 second 0-60 on the dragy. 3.8 so far being the best but in general a very repeatable 4 sec.
Appreciate 0