BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

01-20-2015, 04:22 PM   #1
LowOnCash
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW I8 - I3 - I4

Is the I8 perfectly built?

I've been reading everything on the Internet on the I8 and one thing I have not found is anything breaking on the car.

Is the BMW quality that perfect or is there someone with a problem with their I8.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 06:21 PM   #2
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post
I've been reading everything on the Internet on the I8 and one thing I have not found is anything breaking on the car.

Is the BMW quality that perfect or is there someone with a problem with their I8.

Mike
Not perfect. Sometimes when I close the rear hatch, the "hatch open" message comes up on the dash and the hatch release doesn't work unless the hatch is fully closed, so pressing "open hatch" does nothing...so you end up having to press down on the glass enough to where it registers as closed while someone else presses the "open hatch" button at the exact right moment to get it to release. It seems like the latch might be misaligned but the weather combined with a desire to drive it as much as possible combined with a generalized distrust of the most local service dept (I bought it across state) means I'll take it into the service dept where I bought it at the earliest convenience.

Also, the pinch sensors on the doors are so sensitive that sometimes I have to "inch" the windows up to keep them from rolling back down all the way automatically because they think there's an object in the way that isn't there.

But other than those issues, it's been flawless.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 06:42 PM   #3
LowOnCash
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW I8 - I3 - I4

Ok I'm not sure this hatch thing qualifies for a real problem!

I have an I3 with a "door Open" warning on the RR door, but its not really open - there is precision sensors - I'll bet if you close the hatch a bit harder you won't have that problem - in addition when the rubber seal compresses in time it will seat and close with less effort.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 07:00 PM   #4
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post
Ok I'm not sure this hatch thing qualifies for a real problem!

I have an I3 with a "door Open" warning on the RR door, but its not really open - there is precision sensors - I'll bet if you close the hatch a bit harder you won't have that problem - in addition when the rubber seal compresses in time it will seat and close with less effort.

Thanks
Yeah, might just be an issue where the tolerances are SO tight it's registering false positives.
Appreciate 0