BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

  BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-10-2019, 12:20 PM   #1
Run Silent
Run Deep
Run Silent's Avatar
United_States
8806
Rep
2,515
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Mountains

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Moron Alert! TX Republicans try and oust Muslim official

Okay, so first know that I am a registered Republican and lean heavily far right as a fiscal conservative, but am quite socially liberal. I am probably more a libertarian, but we all know that they aren't ever going to elect anyone in the near term.

That said, this story absolutely sickens me and I cannot believe that the Republican leadership isn't going completely bat-shit over this nonsense!

Republicans in Tarrant County – one of the most populous counties in Texas – are set to vote on whether to remove Dr. Shahid Shafi from his position as the party’s vice chair Thursday.

REASON: Per Precinct Chairman Dorrie O’Brien -

“We don’t think he’s suitable as a practicing Muslim to be vice chair because he’d be the representative for ALL Republicans in Tarrant County, and not ALL Republicans in Tarrant County think Islam is safe or acceptable in the U.S., in Tarrant County, and in the TCGOP, and there are big questions surrounding exactly where Dr. Shafi’s loyalties lie, vis a vis Democrat and Republican policies,”



SHAME ON YOU, DORRIE! That is so blatantly bigoted, I don't even know where to start. Hopefully this doesn't gain traction in the national news, because this could decimate some Republican candidates if they are in an area with tight races coming up.

Thoughts? I hope to see the Republican Party completely denounce her and relieve her of her position immediately.

Makes me so sad..

https://www.statesman.com/news/20181...party-official

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tex...ounty-official

Here is her facebook page if you want to have fun:

https://www.facebook.com/dorrie.obri...15751438251779
__________________
Вести себя прилично? После дождичка в четверг!
Appreciate 8
      01-10-2019, 01:03 PM   #2
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
7016
Rep
6,872
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

HOPEFULLY this has less to do with the letter after their name, and more to do with just their character in general.

Now, if she had only stated "there are big questions surrounding exactly where Dr. Shafi’s loyalties lie, vis a vis Democrat and Republican policies" then this wouldn't be quite the issue.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent8806.00
2000cs741.50

      01-10-2019, 01:21 PM   #3
Schwarzschild Radius
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
Schwarzschild Radius's Avatar
United_States
6588
Rep
8,179
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Agua Caliente

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
I work in Tarrant county. The situation is reprehensible. Stupid.
__________________
?I need some warm warming up stuff? -LUPS
Appreciate 4
Run Silent8806.00
MKSixer12543.00
minn195121.50

      01-10-2019, 01:22 PM   #4
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
7016
Rep
6,872
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

^ stalker alert
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2019, 01:23 PM   #5
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
1714
Rep
4,828
Posts

Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Okay, so first know that I am a registered Republican and lean heavily far right as a fiscal conservative, but am quite socially liberal. I am probably more a libertarian, but we all know that they aren't ever going to elect anyone in the near term.

That said, this story absolutely sickens me and I cannot believe that the Republican leadership isn't going completely bat-shit over this nonsense!

Republicans in Tarrant County – one of the most populous counties in Texas – are set to vote on whether to remove Dr. Shahid Shafi from his position as the party’s vice chair Thursday.

REASON: Per Precinct Chairman Dorrie O’Brien -

“We don’t think he’s suitable as a practicing Muslim to be vice chair because he’d be the representative for ALL Republicans in Tarrant County, and not ALL Republicans in Tarrant County think Islam is safe or acceptable in the U.S., in Tarrant County, and in the TCGOP, and there are big questions surrounding exactly where Dr. Shafi’s loyalties lie, vis a vis Democrat and Republican policies,”



SHAME ON YOU, DORRIE! That is so blatantly bigoted, I don't even know where to start. Hopefully this doesn't gain traction in the national news, because this could decimate some Republican candidates if they are in an area with tight races coming up.

Thoughts? I hope to see the Republican Party completely denounce her and relieve her of her position immediately.

Makes me so sad..

https://www.statesman.com/news/20181...party-official

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tex...ounty-official

Here is her facebook page if you want to have fun:

https://www.facebook.com/dorrie.obri...15751438251779
Sad indeed. At least O’Brien's bigotry is out in the open so it can be dealt with. I'm more fearful of those closet bigots who hide behind social media and use fear inducing language to mask their hate.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer12543.00
minn195121.50

      01-10-2019, 01:26 PM   #6
Schwarzschild Radius
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
Schwarzschild Radius's Avatar
United_States
6588
Rep
8,179
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Agua Caliente

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
^ stalker alert
Leave my stalk alone.......
__________________
?I need some warm warming up stuff? -LUPS
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 01:26 PM   #7
Run Silent
Run Deep
Run Silent's Avatar
United_States
8806
Rep
2,515
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Mountains

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
I work in Tarrant county. The situation is reprehensible. Stupid.
It really is. If you read her comments, she basically says that because he is a Muslim, he cannot represent Republican voters. That is horseshit. It is every bit as bad as the democrats criticizing the federal judge nominees for being Catholic. Perhaps worse, because she is actively trying to get him fired.

I honestly don't even know what to say.
__________________
Вести себя прилично? После дождичка в четверг!
Appreciate 3
minn195121.50
Mingwan1057.00

      01-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #8
Law
Global Moderator
Law's Avatar
4349
Rep
2,061
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: -

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [5.00]
This is a slippery slope, regardless of anyone's personal opinion of Islam.

Removal of somebody from a role/position solely based on religion alone amounts to discrimination, period.

Now, this would be somewhat different if Dr. Shahid Shafi's religious views prevented him or came in conflict with his duty to fulfill the role or responsibilities (i.e., a Muslim/Christian/insert religion here serving as chair of the Atheist Alliance International, for example), but obviously, there's no indication that this is the case and even then, the case would have to be presented from an angle that is non-discriminatory (fact-based) instead of a blanket statement stemming from discrimination.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now, a side note/Moderator note:
As some many have noticed, posts have been removed from this thread.
A kind reminder of the rules that personal attacks are not tolerated and neither is racism/other forms of discrimination.
Members are advised to utilize the "report this post" feature instead of engaging in a firefight.

I will be handing out infractions to all parties involved in immature behavior with the next instance of baiting/trolling in this thread.
__________________
2011.5 E90 ///M3 | 6-Speed Manual | Jerez Black | Fox Red |

| E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread |
Appreciate 5
MKSixer12543.00
Run Silent8806.00
MrRoboto1713.50
minn195121.50

      01-10-2019, 01:30 PM   #9
Schwarzschild Radius
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
Schwarzschild Radius's Avatar
United_States
6588
Rep
8,179
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Agua Caliente

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
It really is. If you read her comments, she basically says that because he is a Muslim, he cannot represent Republican voters. That is horseshit. It is every bit as bad as the democrats criticizing the federal judge nominees for being Catholic. Perhaps worse, because she is actively trying to get him fired.

I honestly don't even know what to say.
I know what to say.....we need a better GOP! And a better democratic party. I think many problems are created by gerrymandering. I would fully support going to electing House reps by zipcode. Bye Bye progressive left, bye bye freedom caucus as major players. Of course, over the years I suspect politicians would attempt to change the zip codes, but the zip code thing would be a short term solution.
__________________
?I need some warm warming up stuff? -LUPS
Appreciate 2
Run Silent8806.00
minn195121.50

      01-10-2019, 01:31 PM   #10
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
7016
Rep
6,872
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
Leave my stalk alone.......
Seems you have to take that up with THE Law
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 01:32 PM   #11
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
2303
Rep
9,158
Posts

Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
I know what to say.....we need a better GOP! And a better democratic party. I think many problems are created by gerrymandering. I would fully support going to electing House reps by zipcode. Bye Bye progressive left, bye bye freedom caucus as major players. Of course, over the years I suspect politicians would attempt to change the zip codes, but the zip code thing would be a short term solution.
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...emacist-became

Quote:
Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) is questioning how terms such as "white nationalist" and "white supremacist" became offensive in the U.S.

“White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?” King asked in an interview with The New York Times published on Thursday. “Why did I sit in classes teaching me about the merits of our history and our civilization?”

King later on Thursday, responding to the Times article, said he is not a white nationalist or white supremacist.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 01:32 PM   #12
Schwarzschild Radius
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
Schwarzschild Radius's Avatar
United_States
6588
Rep
8,179
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Agua Caliente

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Seems you have to take that up with THE Law
we have an agreement, quid pro stalk.
__________________
?I need some warm warming up stuff? -LUPS
Appreciate 1
Run Silent8806.00

      01-10-2019, 06:35 PM   #13
obe100
Lieutenant
obe100's Avatar
United_States
181
Rep
447
Posts

Drives: on the weekends…
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Planet Earth

iTrader: (1)

i guess these stupid Texans never heard of Article VI, Clause 3...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 06:48 PM   #14
Sassicaia
Colonel
Sassicaia's Avatar
Canada
3120
Rep
2,933
Posts

Drives: SMB F80 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Vancouver, Canada

iTrader: (0)

You sound like a true libertarian. It's to bad there weren't more rational thinkers like this to create a viable party. Canada has one just stating, but still they arnt true libertarians.

On the topic at hand - it really shows how ignorant people can be.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 07:13 PM   #15
svt1998gt
Private First Class
52
Rep
158
Posts

Drives: 2008 e90 335i, 2012 X5 M spor
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
HOPEFULLY this has less to do with the letter after their name, and more to do with just their character in general.

Now, if she had only stated "there are big questions surrounding exactly where Dr. Shafi’s loyalties lie, vis a vis Democrat and Republican policies" then this wouldn't be quite the issue.
Interesting....
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 06:25 AM   #16
Schwarzschild Radius
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
Schwarzschild Radius's Avatar
United_States
6588
Rep
8,179
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Agua Caliente

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Tarrant County GOP votes to keep vice chair despite efforts to remove him because he's Muslim
https://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article/...2-fae8da0152bd
(Via WFAA)
__________________
?I need some warm warming up stuff? -LUPS
Appreciate 1
Run Silent8806.00

      01-11-2019, 06:56 AM   #17
Chihuahua
Colonel
Chihuahua's Avatar
1265
Rep
2,056
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tampa Bay, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Okay, so first know that I am a registered Republican and lean heavily far right as a fiscal conservative, but am quite socially liberal. I am probably more a libertarian, but we all know that they aren't ever going to elect anyone in the near term.
Based on this short description, I'd say yes you are a Libertarian. Welcome to the club, there are a lot more of us than you may think. Vote your conscience.

I agree, this behavior from Dorrie O'Brien is despicable and un-American.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent8806.00

      01-11-2019, 07:30 AM   #18
Run Silent
Run Deep
Run Silent's Avatar
United_States
8806
Rep
2,515
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Mountains

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
Tarrant County GOP votes to keep vice chair despite efforts to remove him because he's Muslim
https://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article/...2-fae8da0152bd
(Via WFAA)
This is good - and expected, since the majority of the Republican Party quickly condemned this action - however, it doesn't resolve the main problem, which is that Dorrie is representing the party in this part of Texas.

She needs to have a vote to remove her. Like Right Now.
__________________
Вести себя прилично? После дождичка в четверг!
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST