BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

05-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #89
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

My dealer just emailed me to report that the key blade has arrived, and the display remote is due this week, as is the new receiver for the i8.

I guess the receiver is not required for 2016 cars perhaps.

I am going to book my car in for the work, in the following week.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 02:57 AM   #90
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
My dealer just emailed me to report that the key blade has arrived, and the display remote is due this week, as is the new receiver for the i8.

Jas - what's the "key blade"?

I am guessing that the "display remote" is the key itself - correct?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 01:42 PM   #91
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpond View Post
Jas - what's the "key blade"?

I am guessing that the "display remote" is the key itself - correct?

I am guessing here

Bear in mind I have yet to see anything, I would expect the key blade to be the physical key type "metal strip" to open the lock in the event of a battery/signal failure. It probably inserts into the DisplayKey.

Display remote is probably what we have seen pictured as the DisplayKey.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 02:31 PM   #92
Ricardinhouk
Enlisted Member
Rep

My dealer is now quoting about £450 parts plus £150 labour to fit so clearly not a big job. Both +VAT here in the UK I assume.

They have suggested March 16 onwards cars this is free and I've asked for how/where that is detailed given we've all seen this in the launch material.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 04:06 PM   #93
Arobotbrain
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardinhouk View Post
My dealer is now quoting about £450 parts plus £150 labour to fit so clearly not a big job. Both +VAT here in the UK I assume.

They have suggested March 16 onwards cars this is free and I've asked for how/where that is detailed given we've all seen this in the launch material.
It was for sure not a free option in my case (Switzerland), had to pay a couple of hundred dollars for it. On the configurator it shows up as a 0$ option, but when the dealer adds the option the situation changes.

FYI ... no GSM connection and only one battery.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 11:04 AM   #94
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
BMW didn't want people to hold off placing orders waiting for the display key, so they offered it as a free retro fit to customers ordering cars prior to the display key being made available as standard. I can't remember which build week it became a standard feature (I think it was around week 10 this year).
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 01:05 PM   #95
itzkoolkidkam
@M4CHOM4N
Rep
Drives: M4

Does anyone have any insight on whether the display key can be retrofitted/coded to work with a 15'? My local dealer has mentioned something along these lines but just wanted some additional confirmation.

If so, what is involved exactly? Will all the features of the key work?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 04:27 PM   #96
Ricardinhouk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzkoolkidkam View Post
Does anyone have any insight on whether the display key can be retrofitted/coded to work with a 15'? My local dealer has mentioned something along these lines but just wanted some additional confirmation.

If so, what is involved exactly? Will all the features of the key work?

Thanks in advance!
Picked up mine is Sep 15 so guessing Aug 15 build and retro fitting is available.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 01:34 PM   #97
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Would anyone happen to have the part number(s) for the display key?
My dealer is having trouble finding them !!!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 02:38 PM   #98
Ricardinhouk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Would anyone happen to have the part number(s) for the display key?
My dealer is having trouble finding them !!!
Sorry no. Mine is Cooper Teesside if you want to try them.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2016, 10:48 AM   #99
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post

Jas - did you get your display key fitted? Is it as cool as it looks in the pics?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 10:55 AM   #100
Jvietri
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

If you get the part numbers can you post please?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 11:10 AM   #101
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvietri View Post
If you get the part numbers can you post please?
Hi - I didn't get them. In the end my dealer managed to locate them.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 01:05 PM   #102
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Jas - did you get your display key fitted? Is it as cool as it looks in the pics?
Sadly not yet. The install date was too close to my Pure Impulse event, and I did not want to get it done just prior in case of any problems. So I have booked the car in for after that, on 14 June.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 09:23 AM   #103
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arobotbrain View Post
Picked up my i8 today (unfortunately it was raining) and got the display/smart key along with the standard key. Yes, it is pretty big, weights 85 grams and lies good in the hand. The standard key fits well into the jeans key pocket, but display key just doesn't.

Charging is unfortunately done over a USB cable ... no wireless charging. BMW told me that the battery lasts 3 day ... which is not that much. Otherwise it is similar to the known BMW display key ... but does not feature the autonomous parking aid as in the BMW 7 Series. As mentioned by others ... it is a gadget ... but that's what we love and live for.
My very fist post on the forums and thanks for providing the photos side by side . I was kinda upset not having a smart key but having seen the photos I think I need to re think whether or not is it a good idea to go for it
It's very heavy too
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 11:35 AM   #104
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8 Roadster

From the horses mouth! UK General Manager for BMWi informed all guests at the 'ipure going green event' that all i8s will be eligible for smart key retrofit. Upon clarification, he said although 'imminent' BMW UK had elected to delay rollout until a wireless charging solution/kit had been sourced. Great news indeed!!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 03:46 PM   #105
Ricardinhouk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagaboo View Post
From the horses mouth! UK General Manager for BMWi informed all guests at the 'ipure going green event' that all i8s will be eligible for smart key retrofit. Upon clarification, he said although 'imminent' BMW UK had elected to delay rollout until a wireless charging solution/kit had been sourced. Great news indeed!!
Any mention of price?

I don't follow the delay comment as my dealer is happy to order for me and has done for another customer I believe.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 04:11 PM   #106
hytek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, 335i

Honestly, I don't quite get this. Why would I want to carry an additional item as big as a cell phone in my pocket, and worry about recharging it every other day. Even the current i8 key, coupled with all other keys forms an embarrassing bulk in my pocket. It's also triggered the car alarm a few times when I sat down.

If you ask me, I want a smaller key with physical buttons. That way, I can just put my hand in my pocket and know what to press without taking it out. With comfort access, the only time I need to do this is for opening the trunk.

All other fancy functions, just add them to the phone app.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2016, 11:19 AM   #107
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep

From the chat it was implied that it would be fitted for free. Though he did question when I took delivery of the car (late Dec 15). The suggested reasoning behind the delay was to source induction charging, as 'to have trailing wires just wouldn't look right'.

Last edited by zagaboo; 06-12-2016 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 11:20 AM   #108
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytek
Honestly, I don't quite get this. Why would I want to carry an additional item as big as a cell phone in my pocket, and worry about recharging it every other day. Even the current i8 key, coupled with all other keys forms an embarrassing bulk in my pocket. It's also triggered the car alarm a few times when I sat down.

If you ask me, I want a smaller key with physical buttons. That way, I can just put my hand in my pocket and know what to press without taking it out. With comfort access, the only time I need to do this is for opening the trunk.

Dead right. Serves no practical purpose whatsoever, but it is a gadget and most of us just have to have the latest gadgets ;-)
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 03:54 PM   #109
Arobotbrain
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

Just got a letter from BMW saying that the key displays some wrong information and needs to be fixed. Guess they released it before testing and bug fixing was over. However, thumbs up for the way BMW manages this "minor" problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 04:53 PM   #110
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytek

I was initially upset to get my car without it and the more I thought about it, the more I ended up with the same opinion as yours. I did miss keyless entry sometimes though since I couldn't wait and got s 2014 model........
Appreciate 1