BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

12-08-2016, 03:14 PM   #45
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Always interesting to see how many people here think they know how to run BMW/set strategy better than BMW lol.
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 3
      12-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #46
Rennsport3.2
Judge Hank "The Hangman" BMW
Rep
Drives: Sweet BMX bike w/ mags & pegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsi View Post
It's a halo / niche car and they should have limited production like they did for -say-, the m1, the z8 etc.

But then they think trees grow to the sky and market this car as if it was a 5 series.

I am one of the early adopters and paid full whack.

Whilst i love the car, i dislike the way bmw does things on the mass production front.

Bmw, you won't have me again as a customer.
BMW has lost you as a customer? Good.

If you bought a brand new car as an investment, you are an idiot. No promise of exclusivity was ever made. It's a new car, it will depreciate. If you paid sticker or more because you wanted to have the shiniest, newest toy on the block, then you will have to pay the price and deal with it. Blaming BMW for your own stupidity is just childish projection.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2016, 04:11 PM   #47
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennsport3.2 View Post
Quote:
It's a halo / niche car and they should have limited production like they did for -say-, the m1, the z8 etc.

But then they think trees grow to the sky and market this car as if it was a 5 series.

I am one of the early adopters and paid full whack.

Whilst i love the car, i dislike the way bmw does things on the mass production front.

Bmw, you won't have me again as a customer.

If you bought a brand new car as an investment, you are an idiot. No promise of exclusivity was ever made. It's a new car, it will depreciate. If you paid sticker or more because you wanted to have the shiniest, newest toy on the block, then you will have to pay the price and deal with it. Blaming BMW for your own stupidity is just childish projection.
I wouldn't call it a limited production but it's also not a mass production like the 3 series, I two was an early adopter for my I and paid a premium but hey I feel today just as I did when I bought it that it was worth the cost.

I gave BMW my money because I believe in what they set out to do. And applaud them for it.

I also like the fact they aren't selling like PT cruisers or teslas for that matter as I see a tesla at every corner they loose their specialness.

Now the I program is not a failure in any way as the technology will filter down into all their cars and also will be leveraged by other manufacturers like Toyota who will pay BMW a premium to use their technology and everybody wins.

The "I" cars are the marketing tool for their efforts in making affordable carbon fiber tech, and that tech can be used in production cars.

As for the most part it was used for only the top shelf exotics.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2016, 04:55 PM   #48
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

For those looking at electric cars, the question is;

Why buy an i8 when you can get a faster, self-driving Tesla for cheaper?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 05:42 PM   #49
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louv View Post
Here is the latest info for the sales trend for the i8 in the US.
(Sorry, I don't have worldwide numbers)
updated: November 2016 numbers.

I could not find worldwide sales figures but you can see European sales figures of the i8 here: http://left-lane.com/european-car-sa...ta/bmw/bmw-i8/. 1,308 units YTD as of the end of October.

For the US as of end of November: http://left-lane.com/us-car-sales-data/bmw/bmw-i8/. 1,461 units.
      12-08-2016, 05:48 PM   #50
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post

Yeah self driving till it kills you.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 06:11 PM   #51
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
... And the design is not exactly inconspicuous. Many people might find the car cool, but feel uncertain about being seen in one. ...
I admire the i3, and have driven and ridden in several.
But really, I'd rather be seen in an i8. Driving or riding.

And while we're at it, throw @sierraaaskyee or @somerfieldswim or @katyaelisehenry or @nathalieemmanuel or @chloebennet into that i8 with me. (All instagram IDs.)
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 06:17 PM   #52
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:

"These are not the doors of a billionaire, Richard."
- Russ Hanneman (Chris Diamantopoulos, "Silicon Valley," 2014-)
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 3
      12-08-2016, 06:34 PM   #53
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Well, I would not say that the i8 is an electric car. It's a toned down 918 Spyder, which is the only comparable car...
      12-08-2016, 06:41 PM   #54
bigdnno98
Real Car Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahn360Photo View Post
you could lease an i8 for 1200 a month with nothing down
I remember that deal. Is it still going on? I remember the residual was pretty crazy but zero down, 24mo lease at 10k miles a year.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2016, 06:42 PM   #55
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

I'm certain that the future i8S (http://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1268299) will answer some of the questions about how the i8 should be positioned in BMW's lineup, ie, it should compete with the 911 in performance, while offering better electric range and power...

With what we've learned from the i3 update and based on rumours, the upgraded version of the i8 will have a bigger battery capacity, a higher powered electric and thermic engine (some say even a 2 litre 4 turbo), better wheels/tyres/brakes. They have been testing it as the e Formula pace car for a couple of years now... So all in all, this will make a whole different beast than the current i8. Personally I'm pretty excited!

I do agree though that the i8 should have been an "exclusive" offering by BMW with a limited production as it is their image and technology leading product. It does not matter if BMW loses money on it as the hybrid technology has already trickled down into their mainstream cars with the i performance models. BMW stated that they already sold 100,000 units of such hybrids, which is well into paying off their investment in the hybrid tech. Also, they don't have the choice to get into hybrid and/or electric cars due to the more and more draconian legislations (in Europe for example) and the rise of companies like Tesla.

Last edited by Paul-Bracq-BMW; 12-08-2016 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 07:15 PM   #56
ddnmkun
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, G05

The way they moved those cars in dec 15 also shows how quick electric cars can become antique in just one model year.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 08:34 PM   #57
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
BMW doesn't actually care if you return as a customer. Nor do they care about me. It's not personal. It's business.
Sorry but as a businessman myself this is a very bad way of doing business. His reasons for buying the car might be questionable but your statements knock it out of the park. If BMW didn't care about customers returning they'd go bankrupt in less than a year. I'm sure BMW is smarter than what you're giving them credit for.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2016, 08:38 PM   #58
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:

The i8 is NOT an electric car it's a hybrid. So if you're looking for an all electric car the i8 is not for you.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 08:48 PM   #59
RPChan
BMW for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e93 M3 HT

Garage List
The i8 is BMW's approach to a new market that has proven quite successful. That being said it isn't an easy car to get in and out of. Nor is it comfortable as compared to a 7 series or even 6 series. Gets great gas mileage but I don't think many of the i8 buyers are that concerned about miles per gallon. I am surprised BMW has sold over 4K of them in the US. It isn't a inexpensive car.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 08:56 PM   #60
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPChan View Post
The i8 is BMW's approach to a new market that has proven quite successful. That being said it isn't an easy car to get in and out of. Nor is it comfortable as compared to a 7 series or even 6 series. Gets great gas mileage but I don't think many of the i8 buyers are that concerned about miles per gallon. I am surprised BMW has sold over 4K of them in the US. It isn't a inexpensive car.
They have sold thousands of cars because thank God your opinion is not held by me or any of the thousands of buyers. The i8 is an incredible car with more than one personality that's a lot of fun.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 11:47 PM   #61
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
The car has been a loss-maker from the beginning. This is about making a statement to the world more than it is about making money. BMW is investing in establishing the "i" sub-brand. It's their take on the future of mobility. And - at least to some degree - it's working. Many people I speak to about alternative car concepts see BMW as the leader among the traditional manufacturers. Ahead of Toyota, because BMW has taken the idea to a new level and a different breed of cars, rather than making ugly, weak-chested eco boxes.

It's also an investment in technology - the manufacturing infrastructure and know-how (e.g. "Life-Drive Architecture") - can be re-used for future BMWi cars.
Exactly!
It's basicly what they've been doing with other BMW branding lately, like the X-drive.
X-drive is usually on campain in Norway and is very cheap, like 75% off the original price. My local SM told me that was intentional from BMW, they wanted to destroy the Quattro hold on the market and they did take massive losses - selling X-drive cheap to the markets.
This have led to BMW having more 4X4 models on the market than anyone else in Norway.
And another fun fact, BMW i3 is the best selling car in Norway, ahead of Golf and anything from Toyota, because of this, BMW is the 3 biggest manufactor in Norway.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 02:37 AM   #62
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennsport3.2 View Post

You are not very smart and suffer from severe ADHD it seems. Plus aggressiveness which isn't a great mix.

Maybe yoga and breathing deeply would help you.

Do you have experience in buying $150k cars? Did you buy and i8? Did you read Carac's very correct post #12.

If the answer to all 3 questions is no, then you should have refrained from quoting me.

I bought not one but two i8s. So yes i love the car. However, the BS circulated by both dealers and the factory and the resulting impact on prices is something i do not want to repeat. They created an impression which they did not have to do.

I bought mainly porsches but also aston and other luxury brands over the years and even if their cars depreciated, they did not try and paint it otherwise.

If you want to be in the luxury car segment you will likely deal with people who worked hard for their money and don't want to be misled. They did not have to do that.

Read the thread again and you will find a pattern among buyers who are less than impressed by bmw just like i am.

So before you offload your bitterness all over a car forum, try at least to form an informed, cohesive and thought through response.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2016, 02:55 AM   #63
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:

Erm ... the Tesla is a boring-looking 4-door sedan with not the best build quality and a recharging challenge. Which I don't think is what the average i8 buyer was in the market for in the first place.
Appreciate 1
JasH621.00
      12-09-2016, 02:59 AM   #64
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You are not very smart and suffer from severe ADHD it seems. Plus aggressiveness which isn't a great mix.

Maybe yoga and breathing deeply would help you.

Do you have experience in buying $150k cars? Did you buy and i8? Did you read Carac's very correct post #12.

If the answer to all 3 questions is no, then you should have refrained from quoting me.

I bought not one but two i8s. So yes i love the car. However, the BS circulated by both dealers and the factory and the resulting impact on prices is something i do not want to repeat. They created an impression which they did not have to do.

I bought mainly porsches but also aston and other luxury brands over the years and even if their cars depreciated, they did not try and paint it otherwise.

If you want to be in the luxury car segment you will likely deal with people who worked hard for their money and don't want to be misled. They did not have to do that.

Read the thread again and you will find a pattern among buyers who are less than impressed by bmw just like i am.

So before you offload your bitterness all over a car forum, try at least to form an informed, cohesive and thought through response.
Just one correction to your statement: To my knowledge, no such BS was circulated by the factory. If it was, I'll be more than happy to have it shown to me. But it wouldn't change my opinion of the car one bit.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2016, 03:33 AM   #65
Louv
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mephisto Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M View Post
Quote:
BMW never said this was a limited production car. If you paid more than list, that was your informed choice.

I think you want it as a limited production car because that benefits you, but that doesn't benefit BMW. They spent a huge amount of money on the technologies to build this (and the i3). Their accountants surely want them to recover those costs by selling more cars.

Either you enjoy the car, or you don't. If you bought it as "an investment" then you probably messed up. If you bought it because you love the technology, the design, the experience, then you probably succeeded.

Don't worry, BMW doesn't actually care if you return as a customer. Nor do they care about me. It's not personal. It's business.
Wow. That is just plain negative and dark thinking. Of course they care if you return and continue buying. They miscalculated the demand on such a car and assumed the regulatory environment and social responsibility trends would sell them and they did not.

The car is an egineering masterpiece and a brave act of visionary thinking that assumed great risk but ultimately did not yield the numbers BMW might have expected.

They should have really gambled on the SUV and Executive segment to generate a proper return on investment.
I guess I don't look at it as Dark, just Realistic.

I love my i8. I've loved all 16 BMWs I've been fortunate enough to own. I love both sides of the house (2 and 4 wheel). I just bought another one today. But my buying habits are a flea speck in their sales figures. I used to feel that they owed me something for my loyalty. Then I grew up and realized my addiction to their product is all on me. They don't give me special deals; I pay they same as everyone else. Maybe more.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 04:03 AM   #66
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHBruin View Post
i think the OP, myself, and lots of others i8 owners don't distinguish between BMW and BMW dealers.
That's almost like not distinguishing between Boeing and American Airlines.

I don't understand why people don't realize that OEMs and dealers are different players with very different business models. They need each other. They help each other, e.g. with branding and training. That doesn't mean they're one and the same.

One engineers and builds cars. One business. The other one sells and services cars. Very different business. Each one looking for a profit in their own way. And as the dealer is the last stage before the end customer, that's the one you're most likely to get screwed by.
Appreciate 1
Louv300.50