BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

06-07-2021, 09:59 PM   #23
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyBear View Post
IMO, problem with the look is that it is not 'classic' and will look old 5-6 years from now. Sort of like 10 years old Lexus does while 10 years old BMW still looks fine. The other thing is that BMW designs used to project 'speed', 'agility' and 'sport' and this shape is none of that. It is more about 'Look at me, I am BIG and MEAN' sort of like Lexus GS grille.
They went for the MVP look. I think most wanted a capable "X" vehicle in EV form, not a minivan cruiser with batteries.

I think the vehicle will sell and the demographics is clearly on the older, less adventurous, and more fine dining crowd.

Rivian is calling me and might make the jump.
      06-07-2021, 10:27 PM   #24
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipstic View Post
What material is the grille made out of? It almost looks plastic.
Looks like a very high tech piece of "plastic":

Quote:
“In order to guarantee the greatest possible precision when using the radar sensor mounted behind the kidney grille, a nanoscale vacuum-based coating process is employed in its manufacture,” BMW wrote. “Here, the two-color finish and visible 3D effect are produced by vaporization using laser technology and by a plasma-fired application technique in a vacuum. A combination of the laser-based method developed specially for production of the kidney grille on the iX and a precisely defined combination of material and layer thickness optimize radar performance.”

“An additional polyurethane coating reduces the kidney grille’s susceptibility to damage,” BMW wrote. “The self-healing effect of its surface can repair minor scratches, for example – within 24 hours at room temperature or through a five-minute supply of warm air.”
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 05:05 AM   #25
DeeKay
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3

Can't wrap my head around the fact that this thing looks good in your eyes :
      06-08-2021, 05:32 AM   #26
dreamtheater39
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X4 M Sport X 3.0d

I dont know if it's just me but this looks like a cheaper gimmicky Hyundai more than a german bad ass machine
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 09:14 AM   #27
MikeMercier95
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive

I was at Gillette as well for the UDE and also got to take a good look at the iX. I work for the local dealer to where the event was, and was excited to see what my thoughts were. It's about the size of a X5, but with the roof height of a X3. Great proportions!

Being a MASSIVE BME fanboy, I have to say that it is a lot less offensive in person. This is a new avenue for BMW entering the electric car world and while yes it doesn't stay true to the roots of BMW design, I decided to look at this car in a new way:

Electric cars are being built to look more futuristic and different from their gasoline powered counterparts. Lok at the Mercedes EQS! That thing shares no resemblance to its gasoline S-Class counterpart. BMW will continue making cars that stay true to the brand, the upcoming 2 Series Coupe is a prime example. However, BMW needs to make their electric cars stand out while carrying over brand identity. I think in that regards the iX is spot on! Yes the grille is massive, but it does serve a function. The rest of the car is Gorgeous especially in the Aventurine Red over Castanea interior that was at the UDE. The interior looks like it has one of the nicest interiors of any BMW as well! The materials looked expensive, especially all the crystal this particular car had.

Overall, now having seen the iX I think this is gonna be a great hit and BMW will sell lots of them. While it may not be the BMW we all know and love, I feel confident they will continue to stay firm to their roots with their regular model range, and keep the i brand its own identity, just like the i8 and i3 did!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 02:31 PM   #28
GPVG39
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 I3s BEV, 2007 Yaris TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by khine13 View Post
It was a great event! Autocross M440xi and many models were available to road test (including X7 50i, X5 45e, M850xi Convertible, M440i Convertible, Mini Cooper SE and others)

They usually time laps so drivers can get competitive, but they did not this time. Not sure why. Also, instructors did not come with us in the car. They just talked to us through the radio. Overall it was very similar to the usual UDE.

The iX truly looks stunning in person. I think it will sell incredibly well. Thanks to OP for snapping photos.
The pictures are actually mine, not OPÂ’s. He was just kind enough to fix a little problem I had when I posted them.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 07:16 AM   #29
i4Dravit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 22 Z4 M40i - 14 Z4 35i (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPVG39 View Post
The pictures are actually mine, not OPÂ’s. He was just kind enough to fix a little problem I had when I posted them.
Thanks to you both then!

2014 BMW Z4 35i DCT (Sold) - MHD Stage 2 - VRSF Catless Downpipes - Supersprint MidPipe - Stock Mufflers - XHP Stage 3 DCT Flash - VRSF DC Intake - Luxon Front Strut Brace
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 04:00 PM   #30
RSouthern
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

We've been looking at electrics and the styles that different companies are putting out right now are interesting (good and bad) but the iX picked up some of the ICE styling queues that I think will age poorly.

For example the floating roof design. Not only will the gloss black segments on the "D" pillar be a finger-print magnet and show scratches very easily, it also looks remarkably similar to a lot of older non-lux cars . Look at the various small ~2015 Nissan SUVs and several of the current and previous gen GM mid-size SUVs. I get trying to be modern and break up the lines a bit, but this look, if you were to crop out the front half of the car, would be mistaken for any number of other cars. The chrome trim at the back of the "D" pillar window where it goes up then intersects the horizontal piece (where the Hofmeister kink should be) just looks like an afterthought. Like the designer didn't know where to go with the chrome surround once that back gloss piece that makes the roof float was put in. That intersection is clunky. They should have continued with the shadow chrome along the bottom edge of the windows, instead of using the bright chrome. It would have enhanced the "D" pillar floating appearance too by making a larger black piece there instead of the 2-tone that now exists.

I'm also not liking the large blank areas on the front fascia. The large triangular gloss black plastic sections look unfinished and the large painted sections just inboard look awkward. The small black trim on the side of the rear bumper just looks out of place, like the rest of the black lower section - the back is just bad in my eyes since they put the small bit of body color back in behind the black. Why?

I'm also not liking the hard shoulder lines around the wheel arches, looks too last generation General Motors or Toyota. Our X7 has a painted trim piece that breaks up that area and works better, this feels like it needs something there.

I think the problem is there's no connection to their heritage, other than the blue/white Roundels. It's all new so what we expect to see to connect us to fond memories of past cars isn't there. It's "all new". This may appeal to people who are new to the market, but I'm concerned that it won't "speak" to existing BMW owners who are looking to go electric. They may as well shop around to other vendors. Cover up the wheels and you could be looking at a Mazda. That's ok, Mazda, GM and Toyota are all fine brands, but I want some "BMW" in my BMW.

Last edited by RSouthern; 06-10-2021 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 03:44 PM   #31
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Some more pics from UDE.

Name:  BuckTeeth.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  573.6 KB
Name:  EXT2.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  569.8 KB
Name:  EXT3.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  505.0 KB
Name:  NoKink.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  230.1 KB
Name:  Rims.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  469.2 KB
Name:  INT1.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  311.3 KB
Name:  INT2.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  266.8 KB
      06-14-2021, 05:26 AM   #32
iceRN09
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i Xdrive, X5 M50i

That grill looks worse in person. its full on plastic with fake designs. The interior looks nice. Not a fan of the curved screen.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 09:59 AM   #33
burton14e7
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

They need to drop the two tone design. It really cuts it up for me. Hopefully there is an option to have one color.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 10:03 AM   #34
burton14e7
United_States
Rep

Fixed it for them. lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 04:05 PM   #35
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by burton14e7 View Post
They need to drop the two tone design. It really cuts it up for me. Hopefully there is an option to have one color.
Order Black?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 11:01 PM   #36
burton14e7
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Order Black?
I prefer white cars. BMW shouldn't pigeon hole you into picking a color just to fix their design, my opinion that it's bad of course. If you like no biggie.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 11:21 PM   #37
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

One of my attorney friends sent me a video of this X. She's super excited about it. She's going to trade her hybrid 5 for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 05:23 AM   #38
ian_i3S_iX
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i3S, iX on order due Nov

Garage List
The red metallic paint option is over £1000 more than other metallics does it look different in the flesh ?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24704.50
      07-23-2021, 09:58 AM   #39
Norbimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i3 120, iX 50

I also had a chance to take a close look at the iX the other day. It looked smaller than the X5 G05 which I had parked close by, but I think it was due to the fact that it is lower. The car I saw was in a Sophisto grey with Loft interior which looked nice.
I do like the car, it is not the most beautiful car I have seen, but I think the design is interesting and cool in a way. I have always likes the i3 and that design has hold up very well and I think the iX could age in a similar way. The front looks like clear plastic above the grille design color when you look closely. You could almost imagine that one could change the grille color behind the ”plastic” when you want a new colour or pattern

I didn’t have the chance to sit in the car so will reserve judgement.
Appreciate 0