Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

06-21-2021, 09:18 AM   #243
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
My point is simple, VER has time to catch up. Especially if he beats HAM to one this year.

RUS is a serious threat if MB is proactive and ditches BOT early enough.
RUS would be a serious threat to hammy also and Wolf doesn't want an in-house 'starwars'.
For sure. He proved it the first time out. Half the field would be a serious threat to Sir 7ewis if put in his car and given enough seat time. However i think the reason they don't experiment is because they don't want to risk falling off even for a few races against an experienced driver. Every race is $$$.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2021, 09:45 AM   #244
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
It’s funny, I thought MERC had the ideal pit box spot, basically drive right into it.
They explained it like this (fear my paint skills ):

(I know this is the old pitlane, I couldnt find a nice aerial shot of the new one but the corner before the boxes is roughly the same)

You can see that the car for the first pitbox has to make a tighter turn (red line) to drive into the box than the car that enters the 2nd pitbox (blue line).
Therefore the total distance travelled for the complete pitstop is also longer for the red line
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 3
      06-21-2021, 03:38 PM   #245
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Perez on song.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...p-bid/6592951/
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2021, 03:43 PM   #246
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

So this article claims that Mercedes can't figure out how VER passed HAM during stop 1:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...appen/6593031/

They don't say exactly what they included in the analyzing but they come up short 0,5sec. (apparently they can account for 2,5sec but they don't say what includes in that 2,5sec)

I don't know if they included the above difference in distance driving into box 1 and 2, but say if that distancedifference is only 4 meters, and if HAM drives 30km/h on that last patch (the patch just before the pitbox), then there's half a second
(the analysts in the TV commentary (2 ex F1 drivers btw) that came up with this also said it potentially could make a 0,5-0,7sec difference)
Needless to say, gaining 3 sec on an undercut pitstop is insane

I've also been thinking about the relative weak defense to keep position from both BOT as HAM (against VER and PER).
Maybe that's due to that the races are now a triple header and driving serious damage can give short supply on spare parts and repair time.
Maybe everyone was a bit careful; there were 0 retirements in the field. That's quite rare.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 06-21-2021 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 3
      06-22-2021, 04:05 AM   #247
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
So this article claims that Mercedes can't figure out how VER passed HAM during stop 1:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...appen/6593031/

They don't say exactly what they included in the analyzing but they come up short 0,5sec. (apparently they can account for 2,5sec but they don't say what includes in that 2,5sec)

I don't know if they included the above difference in distance driving into box 1 and 2, but say if that distancedifference is only 4 meters, and if HAM drives 30km/h on that last patch (the patch just before the pitbox), then there's half a second
(the analysts in the TV commentary (2 ex F1 drivers btw) that came up with this also said it potentially could make a 0,5-0,7sec difference)
Needless to say, gaining 3 sec on an undercut pitstop is insane

I've also been thinking about the relative weak defense to keep position from both BOT as HAM (against VER and PER).
Maybe that's due to that the races are now a triple header and driving serious damage can give short supply on spare parts and repair time.
Maybe everyone was a bit careful; there were 0 retirements in the field. That's quite rare.
I think you have found the lost half second that Wolff couldn't find.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2021, 04:12 AM   #248
M5Rick
General
Rep

Wolffs Merc were so used to leading and winning for so long since '14 (even admitting that engines were turned down a lot) and becoming complacent enjoying early hybrid and equipment advantage that they don't know how to handle things now. On top of that how Fia allowed them to continue DAS (with such a PU advantage) when banned must hold a lot of fans quizzical.
Appreciate 2
      06-22-2021, 02:16 PM   #249
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
They explained it like this (fear my paint skills ):

(I know this is the old pitlane, I couldnt find a nice aerial shot of the new one but the corner before the boxes is roughly the same)

You can see that the car for the first pitbox has to make a tighter turn (red line) to drive into the box than the car that enters the 2nd pitbox (blue line).
Therefore the total distance travelled for the complete pitstop is also longer for the red line
This is bottas pit, somewhat sharper angles. The Merc will have priority when released from the pit.

Max pit

Last edited by Bubbles; 06-22-2021 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 3
M5Rick58412.50
GuidoK10311.00
      06-22-2021, 03:32 PM   #250
M5Rick
General
Rep

Tension is mounting.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/jean-t...-bull-tension/
Appreciate 2
GuidoK10311.00
      06-22-2021, 06:33 PM   #251
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58412.50
GuidoK10311.00
      06-23-2021, 01:28 AM   #252
M5Rick
General
Rep

Payback time and interesting convo between Christian,Toto and Nico.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/fia-lo...ecommendations
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2021, 08:44 AM   #253
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
This is bottas pit, somewhat sharper angles. The Merc will have priority when released from the pit.

Max pit
Exactly. you can clearly see that VER can take the apex of the pit lane entry corner where BOT is already ~4-5m to the right.
It's very difficult to judge how much further the merc car has to drive due to the somewhat sharper angles, but if its about 2/3th of a car length in those angles at say roughly 30kph (when they steer into the pitbox they probably slow down a bit), it's 0,5sec.
So if thenth of seconds make a difference it can be an issue.
I never thought of it until those analysts explained it on TV.
Things are so incredibly close in F1 that the smallest difference can have a big impact.

First pitbox indeed has priority, but if no one's there that's not an issue.
So it's mainly a tactical advantage for MERC, if HAM would have gone into the pit at the same time when VER went into the pit.

So this all is only an issue because the entry of the pitlane at Paul Ricard is a fairly tight right corner.
Lots of other tracks have a straight pit entry. For example on silverstone this wouldn't be an issue.
I think the red bull ring also doesn't have this issue, so VER won't have this advantage next 2 races

Last edited by GuidoK; 06-23-2021 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2021, 11:40 AM   #254
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
At times during the race it appeared Bottas had the better pace and the dirty air behind hammy wasn’t great for his tires. Up until the last few laps, bottas was fastest in sector 1 and 2 consistently.

I agree with you that the Merc strategy team needs to step up, they underestimated Max’s outlap potential especially sector 3 where he posted fastest overall for the race.

Maybe they got greedy and targeted a 1 & 2 finish and it didn’t pan out for them without a safety car. They Merc appeared to have better grip than the Redbull for most of the race, due to the low downforce setup RBR was running.

It was wild watching Max pulling his right front wheel off the ground every lap in this turn.
I saw this as well during the race, but actually from Alonso in the Alpine first. Wild.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2021, 11:54 AM   #255
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Possibly, Joylon Palmer presented analysis that hammy lost out 5tenths to Max by not attacking the pit limit as hard. Braking on the pit-in, pit box and wheel spin on pit release. Hammy seems to coast in comparably to Max.

Historically, Max had to exploited every part of the track to close the power gap to Merc. This foundation seems to be paying dividends.
      07-14-2022, 10:02 AM   #256
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Name:  PaulRicard_LeCastellet.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  114.5 KB