Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

03-27-2024, 09:40 AM   #1
c0ldslither
Rep
Drives: 2022 m850i

Any experience with EG Assurance extended warranties?

I have a friend looking at a 2021 330 with 30k miles. The dealership is offering an “EG Assurance Premier” 4 year plan for $5k. Their infographic of course shows all of the things that are covered.

To me, this seems like a ton of $$ for a third-party plan. She’s very nervous about major issues but I’m not sure this is worth it.

The car is not CPO but was a BMW fleet car so has had all maintenance.

Was hoping someone had overwhelmingly positive (or negative) thoughts about this company and could share. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 11:15 AM   #2
Ugly Kar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42

That seems like a ridiculous price to me. My E92 was the first year for the N54 and it had about every issue this engine could have and I never got close to $5k in repairs. And I'm sure the B48 is a lot more reliable than that TT N54, as well as the other parts of the car.

Just in general, over the long run you'll be better off self insuring than buying extended warranties and too many try to weasel out of paying citing some obscure exclusion.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 02:06 PM   #3
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
If she’s “concerned about major issues” she should be buying a Camry. In any event, I’d never pay anything approaching that for any 3rd party warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 10:19 AM   #4
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

No experience with the company in question. But what I've gathered over the years is dealer offered extended warranties are high profit items.

Before one buys an extended warranty talk with the techs where the car will be serviced and where the car will be taken in the event of a problem to get techs' opinion of the warranty coverage. I have talked to techs several times when considering an extended warranty. Was told the warrant company bombards them with questions about the car's history, service/maintenance, etc., clearly looking for any reason to deny the claim.

All a tech can do is just tell it like it is. The car's history, service/maintenance speaks for itself.

But this means one needs to read the warranty fine print to know exactly what is and what is *not* covered. And what needs to be done to ensure the coverage remains in effect.

However, what has been my attitude over the years is if I feel a car I'm buying needs an extended warranty I should not buy the car.

If one then buys another car he feels doesn't need an extended warranty should something go wrong he at least has the considerable sum of money he would have spent on the extended warranty to cover the cost of fixing the car.

And if a car with an extended warranty manifests any trouble to just dump the car. For instance the used 2003 Porsche 996 Turbo I bought in June 2009 with <10K miles and in pristine condition and with a 2 year/100K mile CPO warranty. Early on the Turbo had several rather major problems -- covered under warranty which was fortunate to be sure -- but after the warranty expired it was one expensive problem after another.

At any rate had I known then what I know now I would have bailed on the Turbo pronto after the 2nd problem and while the car was still under warranty.
Appreciate 0