United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hytek
Anyone know how the smart key functionality compares with the smartphone app?
I have a feeling it may not be much better. I'd prefer not to worry about keeping yet another device charged.
In my experience, which is admittedly not much, the key seemed to work much more reliably than the app. It seemed as if the key was connected directly to the car's communication systems unlike the app which communicates with a server which then communicates with the car.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 08:58 AM   #24
ian_i3S_iX
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i3S, iX on order due Nov

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
In my experience, which is admittedly not much, the key seemed to work much more reliably than the app. It seemed as if the key was connected directly to the car's communication systems unlike the app which communicates with a server which then communicates with the car.
The bulletin I referred to was a one liner, the cost of the key and the cars that will have the key at no cost to be advised

The key will have no subscription costs

I too hope it connects wirelessly to the car like the 7
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 01:31 AM   #25
Hitz101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8 + Lamborghini Huracan LP610

Quote:
Talking to different people including people at my dealer. Hearing it's going to be retrofittable. Getting the vibe they want me to pay for mine, but hearing from some early adopters that they were promised a free key with their 14s as it was on the brochure as a key feature when they were sold on the car so... Seems some very early adopters might get them for free too but don't think I will. I want it regardless of cost. Just wondering how much it is. I'm expecting anywhere between $500-$1k. Hopefully it's on the lower end of that range since I also plan to order the OEM carbon trim. Another concern of mine is the charging of said key. My good friend just got a new 7 today and brought it around so I could poke around. On the 7 the key charges from the built in wireless charger. There's an OEM wireless charger that can be installed in the smartphone snap in adapter spot on the i8 but I'm not sure if this one will charge the key as well (and if it can this would be another added cost to us). The brochure shows the key resting in a slot in front of the gear selector, not sure if this is where they intended to place the charger on the i8 and/or whether or not they still plan to or even can place one there (I know the plastic piece currently there is easily removable and have always suspected that's the reason but I'm not sure). Otherwise the key has a USB connector which should obviously be another way of charging the key.

Hey yeah keep me updated & send me some pics or post on here when you install the carbon OEM trim as well!!

Also they claim that little small tray your talking about was or is supposed to be a wireless charger for the key. You just place the key there & it charges wirelessly. I don't know if they went ahead & put that tech in the car though still or if its just a tray now on our models. I am guessing it is only a tray but we can still just use the micro USB to charge it & they said he charge is supposed to last a LOOONNGG time like a month or more i'v heard.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 01:34 PM   #26
ian_i3S_iX
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitz101 View Post
Hey yeah keep me updated & send me some pics or post on here when you install the carbon OEM trim as well!!
Mine is arriving at the dealers in 2-3 weeks with CF trim so quality pics will be forthcoming - lasers too
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 03:48 AM   #27
Hitz101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8 + Lamborghini Huracan LP610

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_i3_rex View Post
Mine is arriving at the dealers in 2-3 weeks with CF trim so quality pics will be forthcoming - lasers too
I need those don't forget us!!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 11:41 AM   #28
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Bmw Northern Europe said that it is still not clear if the key is retrofittable. I think we will know in March when it is officially released and available on order, if it will include the earlier models. If it would have been very easy, I think the key would have been available from the start.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 08:31 AM   #29
Mightymousemighty
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: i8(16) RangeR (15) TeslaX (17)

Key Option is now on BMW UK configurator

suspect this may be an error - zero cost option!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 12:33 PM   #30
ian_i3S_iX
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Don't think so it was meant to be included from day one, quality issues caused it not to be.
List price is the same
Cant see why you wouldn't tick it do you think you would get 2 display keys ?

Still lasers not on the configurator !
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 01:08 PM   #31
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
I played with the key on a 7-series at the dealership for about an hour and the functionality was much better in that both speed and successful command consistency was much higher. Quite often with the app, the command unsuccessful message is displayed from a breakdown in the comm at one phase or another. This is not the case with the key. It is probably exactly as you speculate...the key is directly connected to the the communication system the vehicle.

Cheers-mk
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 04:41 PM   #32
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
It is probably exactly as you speculate...the key is directly connected to the the communication system the vehicle.
I guess that means retro-actively adding it would depend on the connection method. Bluetooth would make the most sense, using the car's wifi second, since the standard radio-based keyless entry system probably doesn't carry data like battery status, fuel use, etc. If the hardware is already there it's just a matter of whether they're going to go through the trouble of adding functionality to a car they already got your money for. Goodwill is a rarity in post-sales support.
Appreciate 2
      02-07-2016, 05:22 PM   #33
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
I guess that means retro-actively adding it would depend on the connection method. Bluetooth would make the most sense, using the car's wifi second, since the standard radio-based keyless entry system probably doesn't carry data like battery status, fuel use, etc. If the hardware is already there it's just a matter of whether they're going to go through the trouble of adding functionality to a car they already got your money for. Goodwill is a rarity in post-sales support.
Clearly, the key would also need to have a long-range connection method, which is likely to be via internet, just like the app. That's probably going to be GSM-based, unless you want to fiddle with WiFi logins wherever you happen to be.

If the key just connected via Bluetooth or the car's WiFi, it couldn't display updated info when you're more than a few yards away. And that would be quite pointless.

For the key to work without the issues of the app, the car would have to establish a priority - maybe even permanent - uplink to share its info.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2016, 03:02 AM   #34
i8_flyer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
ian_i3_rex. Did your new i8 come with the display key - mine arrives 19th Feb?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 07:22 AM   #35
ian_i3S_iX
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
No but saw a BMW document stating key retrofitting would commence April 2016 for eligible cars (FOC). Non eligible costs to be confirmed.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2016, 07:25 AM   #36
ian_i3S_iX
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8_flyer View Post
ian_i3_rex. Did your new i8 come with the display key - mine arrives 19th Feb?
Key will be on March builds you will get it free ask your stealer
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 08:39 AM   #37
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
Clearly, the key would also need to have a long-range connection method, which is likely to be via internet, just like the app. That's probably going to be GSM-based, unless you want to fiddle with WiFi logins wherever you happen to be.

If the key just connected via Bluetooth or the car's WiFi, it couldn't display updated info when you're more than a few yards away. And that would be quite pointless.

For the key to work without the issues of the app, the car would have to establish a priority - maybe even permanent - uplink to share its info.
Yes there must be some protocol for keeping the key communicated long range. I'll have to ask my friend with the 7 series but it could also be possible that the key is paired to your smartphone vie Bluetooth LE and then piggybacks off of the phones cellular connection, but I don't recall him mentioning anything about pairing it to his phone. If it has its own GSM connection I wonder how it impacts battery life.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 11:43 AM   #38
ian_i3S_iX
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes there must be some protocol for keeping the key communicated long range. I'll have to ask my friend with the 7 series but it could also be possible that the key is paired to your smartphone vie Bluetooth LE and then piggybacks off of the phones cellular connection, but I don't recall him mentioning anything about pairing it to his phone. If it has its own GSM connection I wonder how it impacts battery life.
My impression is that the key is GSM enabled so when out of range of the car will (when you wake it) connect like the app. The app only connects on demand so I expect the key to be similar i.e. the range data etc. is sent to the key and server when you leave the car. If you start the AC it would connect to the server then the server sends it to the car.

I asked the dealer is there a subscription to pay and they said its subscription free
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 03:12 PM   #39
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_i8_i3 View Post
No but saw a BMW document stating key retrofitting would commence April 2016 for eligible cars (FOC). Non eligible costs to be confirmed.
That's very useful info. My dealer told me they still don't know about retrofitting the key.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #40
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe that's why they went through the trouble of building a charging tray into the car...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 01:42 AM   #41
twm6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Protonic Blue I8

anyone have any updates? its now March?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 01:57 AM   #42
Arobotbrain
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

Yes it is. When I ordered mine last week the dealer checked with BMW and they confirmed that starting March 2016 the i8s are produced with smart key. Guess we will see the first ones late April.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 03:14 AM   #43
ian_i3S_iX
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by twm6 View Post
anyone have any updates? its now March?
Picked mine up last Thursday - dealer advised no firm date for retrofits but thought April onward

BTW - Laser lights stunning - when I get time to fit my crash cam I'll post a video
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 12:38 PM   #44
twm6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Protonic Blue I8

anyone in US got theirs? or have any updates?
Appreciate 0