BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

11-20-2019, 10:49 PM   #1
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

Aston Martin Vantage ---> BMW i8?

Okay guys so I've got a bit of an unusual dilemma. I currently own a 2019 Aston Martin Vantage. In fact only just got it a month ago. Prior to that I had a 2012 Aston Martin Vantage.

i8's have always been on mind. But the small engine and potentially bad resale always made me stay away from it. Now I absolute love the Aston and it's a BEAST of a car. Love how it makes me feel when I drive and of course has the brand pedigree and then some. So I am really in a confused state of mind where I don't want to get rid of it.

NOW on the other hand, couple of more so practical reasons have been bugging me and making me thinking of getting rid of the Aston and picking up a 2016 i8 for pretty much half the price. My Aston's MSRP is 195K (now what I paid) and the dealer I know has a 2016 i8 with 22K km's for $84KCDN.

Now the biggest and first reason why I am contemplating this is the financial factor. As mentioned the Aston isn't quite cheap and I am paying quite a bit for it. Presumably i8 being half the price would be half the cost. I've been thinking now the Aston is gonna be parked for 6 months or so (Alberta winters) and I am going to be paying an arm and a leg for it the entire time without even enjoying it (other than looking at it everyday).

Which ties into my second reason, being that it's a car that I can really only drive 4-5 months in Alberta, is it worth having for the money at this stage in life at 33 (not in a position to have 'fuck you' money and not care about finances/have enough to do whatever). OR do I get a car like the i8 which is also (at-least) visually appealing and different like the Aston but something I am ALSO going to be able to drive year round for the most part while paying half the price.

I have been having inner struggle over this for a while now and I need to make a decision. Practical side says do it and emotion side says don't. Also concerned about i8's reliability once out of warranty due to how many issues I keep reading about. Struggle is such that in a way it's taken away from the feeling of extreme awe I should be in for finally being able to get one of my dream cars (for the second time).

If I make the move, I know I will still enjoy the exclusivity in the i8 as I do in the Aston (perhaps not as much - but definitely the physically different and unique aspect). This is important to me. But would I enjoy driving the i8 as I do the Aston? Admittedly though I barely drove the Aston for 2 days before parking it. Or am I going to regret it? I know I will definitely miss the exhaust note of the Aston without the doubt, especially with my sports quad exhaust option! The thing sounds heavenly. I can't stress enough. Follow on Instagram 'auto.fanatics' if anyone wants a listen. Just a very new Instagram account I made for all my vehicles I owned/go through recently.

Thoughts? Opinions? Am I crazy for feeling this way? Please try to be unbiased in your opinions.

Last edited by ksa; 11-20-2019 at 10:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 10:59 PM   #2
2sak2furious
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 coupe

Pardon the ignorance, but what makes the Aston a 4-5 mos car but the i8 a year round car?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 11:04 PM   #3
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sak2furious View Post
Pardon the ignorance, but what makes the Aston a 4-5 mos car but the i8 a year round car?
Well the biggest reason being that Aston is a very powerful RWD vehicle vs i8 not too bad power wise AWD vehicle?

Plus in my specific situation the fact that I am close to 200K in for the Aston and would be less than half that for the i8. Meaning I will feel a bit braver with the latter and be able to drive it in winter and not baby it as much as the Aston. Plus something about not feeling too bad driving a BMW in winter when compared to an Aston. I've owned many BMW's before and always winter drove them including my M3's and M2 etc.

Last edited by ksa; 11-20-2019 at 11:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 11:23 PM   #4
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
Well...I’ve never driven an Aston so I’m not 100% sure. But I think you’ll have just as much fun in the i8 as you do the Aston for half the price and 3 times better fuel economy. I couldn’t say if the i8 will do any better in the snow but it probably will because it can be AWD.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 12:51 AM   #5
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

The cars are completely different. The Aston is a brute force approach to a sports car with questionable quality (I have seen many with deformed dash after sitting in the sun, etc.) but some of the most beautiful cars there are (excl. the Rapide that seems to have been designed by the janitor while the designer was on vacation or sick in the hospital).

The i8 is a demonstration of what technology can do. It is hardly an emotional drive. Nice to look at but no where near the Vantage. More an engineer's car than a gentleman's.
Appreciate 1
JasH621.00
      11-21-2019, 01:38 AM   #6
chris_1M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

My 2 cents
The AM is a great looking car but so is the i8. (doors!)
Depreciation on a new AM is much, much worse than on an used i8.
The i8 is a 365 day a year car, as it is not so low you will have to worry about speed bumps, because of 4 wheel drive and pre-heating/cooling function. (I would buy it for the latter alone)
The i8 is high-tech but reliable. Tank pressure sensor is a flaw (I'm on my 3rd one already) but apart from that not that much to worry about.
Yes, infotainment of a 2016 is far from great, an occasional re-start experienced every couple of months but it is adequate.
Where the i8 really stands out (imho) are the low weight (go for a coupe!) due to material use and the adoration of complete strangers (particularly kids).
I honestly believe this car will become more popular once BMW stops production Q1 2020 and we will see prices bottoming out not far below current asking prices of 2015/2016 models. Not sure we will see anything from BMW in the next 20 years that is so different and within the same price range as the i8.
It is a very affordable car to run daily!
Most people struggle to find a replacement for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 07:54 AM   #7
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ionic silver I8

I do understand you dilema as i was in a similar boat but maybe not so high stakes!

I nearly bought a used vantage (Two year old ones in UK for £60k similar to an I8) but ended up buying a Jaguar XK-R mainly due to having small back seats.
This was my pride and joy for about 3 years but it just sat in my garage and spent more time polishing it than driving.

I was running two cars and the i8 was my answer. So far, it is doing just that and i'm enjoying driving it more than the loud roar of the jag or fuel bill.

I think it's all about how the car makes you feel when driving it and it's not really about the car it's self. I like more unique cars that stand out.

As you sound like your Aston also will sit for months in the garage, the i8 will give you that feeling and without the huge running costs so my advice is 'go for it', keep the rest of the cash in the bank and you can always go back to Aston in a year or two!

I think the I8 has a younger man's image like the Aston is the Gentleman's.
Sort of Wayne Rooney footballer Vs Daniel Craig James Bond!

Name:  i8.png
Views: 1040
Size:  415.1 KB

Last edited by Swiss tone; 11-22-2019 at 04:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #8
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

back in 2015, i had an aston v12v manual.

I went to test drive the i8 and signed the order form there and then. Sold the aston within 2 days.

Bmw felt leagues away in terms of modernity. In the real world, there is nothing between them performance wise. In fact the i8 picks up quicker thanks to electric motor and torque.

The aston felt like a dinosaur in comparison.

Running costs are like night and day.

Sell the aston now, buy 1 back in 3 years time at a quarter of the price...

The one and only problem of the i8 is that bmw lied about its production intentions. They led first buyers to think that it would be really a limited edition like a modern day M1. We all know what happened.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 10:40 AM   #9
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsi View Post

I went to test drive the i8 and signed the order form there and then. Sold the aston within 2 days.

Bmw felt leagues away in terms of modernity. In the real world, there is nothing between them performance wise. In fact the i8 picks up quicker thanks to electric motor and torque.

The one and only problem of the i8 is that bmw lied about its production intentions. They led first buyers to think that it would be really a limited edition like a modern day M1. We all know what happened.
I appreciate your last comment since I bought it after being on the waitlist at the end of 2014. Kudos to my dealer in Chicago not to ask for the market adjustment. I was cross shopping with the Aston Vantage at that time and it was night and day, drove Aston many times and i8 is way better. I still have the i8 after 5 years and it has been a fantastic car and as previous poster mentioned, I struggle to find a replacement for it....including more exotics and expensive cars like the latest Vantage.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 10:47 AM   #10
jcpca356
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8

I had an 07 V8V. Moved into i8 in 2014 and still have it. No issues other than fuel pressure sensor. It's been the most reliable sports car I've ever had lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsi View Post

11-21-2019, 10:27 PM   #11
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

A lot to think about, thanks everyone for your comments. It's really hard to let the Aston go. It's been a bit of a dream car for a while and the brand new just feels perfect in every way. Miles ahead of the old ones.

Also a factor is whether I will take a financial hit at all if I try to trade the Aston right away after a month. Because if yes, then that mitigates against doing the trade and getting the i8 at this time!! But yea let's see I guess. In the meantime I am thinking I am gonna buy winter tires for the Aston and drive it on the nicer winter days when it's not snowing and the roads have cleared out. I am sure if I was regularly driving it right now, I would love it so much that I wouldn't have even been thinking about the trade right now.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 06:45 AM   #12
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8 Roadster

You're going to take a hit on any car in this price range. I read your opening dilemma as wanting something that looks good, drives good but is useable year round? i8 ticks the boxes. R8 may do too?

I bought a new i8 in 2015, used as a daily driver in all weather in North England and its never missed a beat. Of course I lost a ton in depreciation but, as others have said above, it's hard to find an alternative as a replacement.

My answer... I've tried to box a bit cleverer and just bought a 10 month old roadster with 1.5K on the clock in e-copper with carbon int for £74K. That's £52K less than its optioned list price and it's not even 12 months old

With production ending in Q1 20, maybe prices will hold a bit better. If not then it's impossible to lose more than I have on my 15 car and I haven't regretted a minute of ownership of that
Appreciate 2
JasH621.00
      11-23-2019, 05:28 AM   #13
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagaboo View Post

My answer... I've tried to box a bit cleverer and just bought a 10 month old roadster with 1.5K on the clock in e-copper with carbon int for £74K. That's £52K less than its optioned list price and it's not even 12 months old
Congrats! Over a 40% drop in just 10 months on a virtually new car... well done
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 04:05 PM   #14
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss tone View Post
I think the I8 has a younger man's image like the Aston is the Gentleman's.
Sort of Wayne Rooney footballer Vs Daniel Craig James Bond!

Attachment 2184690
That photo has just successfully put me off my Ionic Silver i8... thanks for that!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 07:50 PM   #15
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Just can't get over how bad ass the rear looks on these. Especially with the quad exhaust option.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 09:00 PM   #16
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Batmobile
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #17
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
Just can't get over how bad ass the rear looks on these. Especially with the quad exhaust option.
Don't change that for an i8. You will kick yourself.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 12:06 PM   #18
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagaboo View Post
Massive depreciation on the i8 Roadster was 100% predictable, as certain as night follows day.

You've done the smart thing, as the *only* way to buy any i8 now is used

It was different when it was newly released and we all knew no better. I've no regrets about my coupe and love it, but would never buy one new again.
Appreciate 1
ChiTownM1045.50
      11-24-2019, 02:44 PM   #19
Birdland
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: i8 Roadster Doninton Grey

I got my Roadster with the same big discount only 3 month old and directly from BMW Norway. Warranty is almost 5(8) years 200.000 km. I hope most of the depreciation is done for the next couple of years but only time will tell! Or for the sake of argument keep it for almost 8 years and have close to zero uncertainty and maintain/running cost. Just thing of the total cost of running a Aston for 8 years... most of the time out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 06:41 AM   #20
Barago
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8/ghibli

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Don't change that for an i8. You will kick yourself.
I agree...my buddy just leased one of these and it’s incredible value w the current deals they are running
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 01:32 PM   #21
orion1977
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 i8 & '14 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post

Don’t put yourself in debt over quad exhausts. And i8 doors will always look better than the quad exhausts. Don’t believe me? See people’s reactions when you step in/out of the i8. Heck, gets enough attention with the doors closed.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 05:29 AM   #22
Barago
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8/ghibli

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion1977 View Post
Don’t put yourself in debt over quad exhausts. And i8 doors will always look better than the quad exhausts. Don’t believe me? See people’s reactions when you step in/out of the i8. Heck, gets enough attention with the doors closed.

The vantage gets more “reactions” than an i8 in LA (we probably have more i8’s here than any city in the world). If you live in a smaller/normal town this may not be the case.

The lease prices on these two are very close currently...with the Aston you get a beast engine with crackle and pop, AM’s newest and future design language and of course the exotic brand name.

The i8 is a bigger car, more efficient, has the awesome doors and looks like a hypercar/spacecraft to those who don’t know what it is. It doesn’t have the snarling AM AMG-made V8, which would be the deciding factor for many who are cross shopping.
Appreciate 0