05-10-2018, 08:56 AM   #1
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

My Dealer has an i8 Roadster First Edition ON THE LOT

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So, I have my i8 Roadster ED scheduled for the end of July. The order has been in since the very first day the ordering process opened up. I asked if it might end up being a "First Edition" and BMW told us all those were spoken for. It wasn't really a big deal cause it might be better to NOT get one of the first cars off the line...

So, my Sales Rep calls me Yesterday just to let me know they just got a First Edition and wanted to check to see if I wanted it. On the lot! I think she was pretty surprised (as was I) and I do appreciate her giving me the first option, but I declined as it didn't have the black wheels I wanted and my ED was now very much planned as a part of my BMW Nurburgring Driving Experience. It would be nice to have one right now in my hot little (er, impressively large?) hands, but I'm in-out of the country for the next several months anyway...

So, it appears pretty odd that BMW had turned down First Edition requests from folks who ordered on the very first day the ordering system opened up, but then shipped them off to dealers to sit on the lot...

Hmm....

(If anyone wants immediately delivery of an i8 Roadster First Edition - I think I know where you can get one...)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 03:18 PM   #2
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Likely someone who stepped back from their order.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 03:26 PM   #3
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
Likely someone who stepped back from their order.
Seems odd, that of all dealers in the U.S., mine should get the dropped order... Especially since we already asked about First Edition availability and was told "no"...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #4
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Things happen. Maybe the guy wanted to pick up his car and the financing didn’t go through. Or he had buyer’s remorse before actually signing the papers. Or his wife got pregnant. Or he found a deal on a car he liked even better. You could just ask the dealer why they suddenly have one.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
So, I have my i8 Roadster ED scheduled for the end of July. The order has been in since the very first day the ordering process opened up. I asked if it might end up being a "First Edition" and BMW told us all those were spoken for. It wasn't really a big deal cause it might be better to NOT get one of the first cars off the line...

So, my Sales Rep calls me Yesterday just to let me know they just got a First Edition and wanted to check to see if I wanted it. On the lot! I think she was pretty surprised (as was I) and I do appreciate her giving me the first option, but I declined as it didn't have the black wheels I wanted and my ED was now very much planned as a part of my BMW Nurburgring Driving Experience. It would be nice to have one right now in my hot little (er, impressively large?) hands, but I'm in-out of the country for the next several months anyway...

So, it appears pretty odd that BMW had turned down First Edition requests from folks who ordered on the very first day the ordering system opened up, but then shipped them off to dealers to sit on the lot...

Hmm....

(If anyone wants immediately delivery of an i8 Roadster First Edition - I think I know where you can get one...)
Here in the UK, BMW royally screwed up IMO by not offering us any First Edition cars - which is surprising given that we are one of their biggest (if not the largest) foreign markets.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 04:04 PM   #6
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpond View Post
Here in the UK, BMW royally screwed up IMO by not offering us any First Edition cars - which is surprising given that we are one of their biggest (if not the largest) foreign markets.
Agreed

And they failed to follow up on the names they took for it in Munich last year. Massive own goal by BMW.

They still haven't called me
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 04:48 PM   #7
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Things happen. Maybe the guy wanted to pick up his car and the financing didn’t go through. Or he had buyer’s remorse before actually signing the papers. Or his wife got pregnant. Or he found a deal on a car he liked even better. You could just ask the dealer why they suddenly have one.
I did. ...and my sales rep has no idea how they got it. They had a second allocation for an i8 Roadster but it wasn't supposed to be a First Edition. Especially since we already asked if their First Allocation (mine) was going to be one...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 04:57 PM   #8
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Or he/she suffered a burst appendix while on an overseas business trip. Sounds unlikely, but it's been known to happen.
Appreciate 2
      05-10-2018, 05:32 PM   #9
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Or he/she suffered a burst appendix while on an overseas business trip. Sounds unlikely, but it's been known to happen.
I feel like there's a story there!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 11:32 PM   #10
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmfiv3 View Post
I feel like there's a story there!
Oh yes there is: http://www.bmwblog.com/2018/04/29/ow...-bmw-i8-coupe/
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 09:59 PM   #11
iHyperMiler
Private
Rep
Drives: i3 A8

What a story! Glad you made it alive and well!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 01:20 AM   #12
FrequentFlyer
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 & X3

Out of curiosity ... what does a first edition have over a regular series car?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 02:15 AM   #13
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpond View Post
Agreed

And they failed to follow up on the names they took for it in Munich last year. Massive own goal by BMW.

They still haven't called me
Didn't call me either although Marc Graumann did drop me an email a few months back to ask if BMW has ever contacted me. Not that it matters, as I just can't make my mind up as to what to replace the car with.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 06:07 PM   #14
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer View Post
Being the first dude driving one in your neighborhood. And paying for the glory with extra trips to the dealer to sort out teething problems ...
Appreciate 2
jcpca356164.00
      05-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #15
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer View Post
Quote:
The BMW i8 Roadster First Edition is limited to a production run of 200 units. What makes the First Edition stand out is some small details and a wide range of standard equipment.

Inside the BMW i8 Roadster First Edition, a plate bearing the message “1 of 200” points to the car’s exclusive status. And the special edition also comes with a signed booklet – likewise limited to 200 copies – documenting the development of the new BMW i8 Roadster. Standard specification for the new BMW i8 Roadster First Edition includes exclusive, 20-inch, radial-spoke light-alloy wheels in Jet Black matt which also feature blue detailing and a BMW i logo. Matt black is also used for the inlay in the special edition’s tailgate and the trim element on its C-pillars bearing the prominent and classy “Roadster” badging.

Also, the Carpo interior design package is included as standard, comprises full leather trim, which is available for the new BMW i8 Roadster exclusively in the colour combination Ivory White/Black.

Also, the extensive standard equipment of the new BMW i8 Roadster includes the Navigation system Professional, BMW Display Key, Driving Assistant with Surround View, a sports leather steering wheel with multifunction buttons and shift paddles, electrically adjustable and heated seats with memory function and a multifunctional instrument display.
And the BMW i8 Roadster First Edition raises the stakes with a host of additional sophisticated and progressive options. Indeed, the special edition is fitted with non-dazzling BMW Laserlight headlights, and its control and display system offers the extra benefits of the BMW Head-Up Display.

Plus, the new BMW i8 Roadster First Edition is equipped with the travel package. In addition to the contents of the storage package, this includes a map case in Nappa leather and Alcantara partition elements for the storage compartment behind the seats, which offers approximately 100 litres of additional stowage space.
https://www.motorshowblog.com/en/bmw...first-edition/
      05-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #16
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post

Hmm....

I found (29) 2019 i8 Coupes and (2) Roadsters available for sale online. Many of the coupes are available at below MSRP.

$176,795 for this First Edition Roadster... WOW!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by AwesomeM3; 05-15-2018 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 05:16 PM   #17
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

so I'm still confused. How did this 1st edition make it on the lot in Milwaukee of all places, when this car was supposed to be 1 of the 18 picked up at Welt?
      05-25-2018, 06:13 PM   #18
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
so I'm still confused. How did this 1st edition make it on the lot in Milwaukee of all places, when this car was supposed to be 1 of the 18 picked up at Welt?
There were 200 produced world-wide. Only 18 of them were involved in the Welt delivery... That leaves 182 being delivered elsewhere...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 10:00 AM   #19
jnkirk1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Garage List
Good grief. I just don't see this as a $176,795 car. Are the 2019 i8s (non-first editions) going for the same $140-150k range or are they going higher as well?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #20
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974 View Post
Good grief. I just don't see this as a $176,795 car. Are the 2019 i8s (non-first editions) going for the same $140-150k range or are they going higher as well?
I don't believe there is any markup on the First Editions. I believe their price is optioned out exactly the same as the normal build. If you run the online configurator, I believe you will see the same pricing...
Appreciate 0