BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

09-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
carholic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Who has placed a deposit for one?

Msrp? How much is the deposit? Any idea now many are coming to the US? Decided on colors yet?

Thanks.
      09-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
JET500
Rep
Drives: BMW M760Li

I have but I haven't seen any further information than what is available on this website. I am first on the list at my local "i" dealer.

I was hoping for solar orange but assuming that is not available I will have to go for the dark grey colour as used in all the official photos.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
I'm first on the list at my dealership. Just confirmed they are only getting one. Told they are expecting a full options list anytime now. I've already told them the exterior and interior colors and rims I want. Sophisto Grey, Carpo Amido (black) interior, and turbine style-625 rims. The only other options they've heard about are a "assistance package" with surround cameras and park assist, a heads up display, and a upgraded H&K stereo. Standard equipment includes active cruise, and all the lane departure, blind spot detection.

The deposit was $1k refundable and we agreed on MSRP. There were a couple conditions.

They're going to use the car in the grand opening of the "i" wing of the dealership, so they asked to keep it the first week to show VIPs and clients (which isn't a big deal since I need a week to alter my schedule to pick it up). They asked for right of first offer if I decide to sell/trade.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Recently placed my deposit ($1K) . Will get the car at MSRP. Was hoping to take ED and get the discount, but it appears the discount may not be offered, at least initially. Have heard from several dealers that initial allocation will be one car per dealer, so unless one is first in line, you may have to wait awhile. Given that there are only 350 or so dealers in the U.S., that sounds like very limited production.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Recently placed my deposit ($1K) . Will get the car at MSRP. Was hoping to take ED and get the discount, but it appears the discount may not be offered, at least initially. Have heard from several dealers that initial allocation will be one car per dealer, so unless one is first in line, you may have to wait awhile. Given that there are only 350 or so dealers in the U.S., that sounds like very limited production.
I talked to four dealers that aren't even getting one. So really rare on the first run apparently.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
carholic
Private First Class
Rep

I think most small dealers don't even know yet if they are getting one. I can't decide between grey or white.
      09-30-2013, 06:42 AM   #7
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Congrats!! Keep us posted.

I am also thinking of doing Euro Delivery on the i8.

Anyone looked into Individual program or customization options? I know it's probably too early still.

I am toying with this idea, basically thinking of doing an Individual i8 with a special interior if BMW will allow it, Euro Delivery, then BMW Performance Center re-delivery in the US. Should be epic.

I also expected and am not surprised that it will be going out of allocations and will not be discounted for ED, so the price won't be affected, but it's the overall experience which will be worth it.

In the planning stages now of all this.

What did they tell you for timing for Euro Delivery, or are you not going to do it without the discount? It will still be worth it, man!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
carholic
Private First Class
Rep

I am not doing ED if there is no discount. I am thinking of white or grey.

What about you guys? Like the blue accents outside?
      09-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
ddk632
United_States
Rep

I see it as what better way to tour Europe than in your own car?

I'm leaning towards Protonic Blue, which has gray accents, but I do like the blue accents on the other color choices.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
carholic
Private First Class
Rep

I am thinking of grey, but in the pics, it seems to hide the contrasting black colors. Would love to see it in real life.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Regarding the timing of ED, they didn't say anything as I suspect they don't yet have any idea. Even without the ED discount, I am still considering taking ED as I've heard the experience is awesome. For me, it will come down to the timing as to whether I can get over there when the car would be ready for pickup.

For colors, I'm leaning toward the Crystal White with grey trim.

BTW, since it will probably be quite a wait until the car is available, the next best thing is being able to discuss it with fellow enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #12
ddk632
United_States
Rep

True, that's what the forums are for - get our daily fix!

The white does look really, really good in the pics.

The number of us seems to be growing and there are less and less crickets in the i8 forum now, which is awesome.

I did PCD when I got the X6M (which was awesome), but have never done an ED yet. Likewise, I've only heard amazing things about ED.

It would seem avoiding the winter months is important if you want to do the famous mountain passes and avoid dealing with snow tires. I'm torn on that - winter would make for some awesome photography but maybe too much hassle for the trip overall.

Although you're in LA (as well as @carholic), where I am from, so you guys are lucky to have some beautiful scenic roads in your backyard where the i8 will be right at home. Who knows, you may even bump into Jay Leno at The Rock Store with his i8 - I mean, I'm sure he's getting one

I am sure in LA, NY, and Miami we will all have the chance to see some live i8's before any orders enter production. At that point it's easy to change things like exterior color choice or other options.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #13
JadeVetti
Bavarian Khaleesi
United_States
Rep
Drives: Waiting for the CS Concept

This isn't a bait-n-switch thread, is it?

Finding it hard to comment anymore on this car...a lot of controversy....
      09-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #14
ddk632
United_States
Rep

This is a genuine thread. The people who want the car and/or wanted it all along and plan on getting it aren't moved by the 'controversy'.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #15
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
True, that's what the forums are for - get our daily fix!

The white does look really, really good in the pics.

The number of us seems to be growing and there are less and less crickets in the i8 forum now, which is awesome.

I did PCD when I got the X6M (which was awesome), but have never done an ED yet. Likewise, I've only heard amazing things about ED.

It would seem avoiding the winter months is important if you want to do the famous mountain passes and avoid dealing with snow tires. I'm torn on that - winter would make for some awesome photography but maybe too much hassle for the trip overall.

Although you're in LA (as well as @carholic), where I am from, so you guys are lucky to have some beautiful scenic roads in your backyard where the i8 will be right at home. Who knows, you may even bump into Jay Leno at The Rock Store with his i8 - I mean, I'm sure he's getting one

I am sure in LA, NY, and Miami we will all have the chance to see some live i8's before any orders enter production. At that point it's easy to change things like exterior color choice or other options.
Yes, we feel lucky to be in CA where there are some great, scenic roadways on which to take the car and experience its great handling. We'll probably get to see production cars at the L.A. Car Show which is coming up in November. I did receive an invite from a local BMW dealer that indicated they will have an i3 on display for a social event in a couple weeks, which is the first I've heard of a dealer having one of the i cars to show. Obviously not as exciting as the i8, but interesting to see the i cars are starting to appear at dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #16
yogi4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Interestingly , my dealer never charged me deposit on any car to date. I spoke to the dealer regarding ordering i8 and he mentioned me being on top of his list. Midwest dealerships excluding chicago do not face competition for these cars , this was the case with 1M as well, I was tempted to get 1M ( it was sad to see 1M sitting on the lot for a week when the dealership got it ) , unfortunately I wanted all wheel drive. Anyways , I decided to go for i8 and i'm on the list.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #17
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Very cool, congrats. Sounds like you have a great relationship with your dealer. Keep us posted. What color are you leaning towards, out of curiosity?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #18
Brandon C
Future is Electric
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smart ED

I did in my dream last night
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 11:02 PM   #19
yogi4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Very cool, congrats. Sounds like you have a great relationship with your dealer. Keep us posted. What color are you leaning towards, out of curiosity?
At this point all colors look good , but I'm leaning towards Sophisto grey or protonic blue .
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #20
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Having put down a deposit and now waiting like everyone for the official ordering to start, I pass the time reading posts about the car and dreaming about what it will be like to drive . In anticipation of getting one next year, I even went so far as to order a custom plate which reads "ICAR 8", a takeoff on the Apple product line (e.g. iPhone 5). I also keep myself entertained by putting photos of the car as my computer screensaver, and recently bought an i8 mouse, which I saw at the i Experience exhibit at the LA Auto Show. Ok, I agree I'm a bit over the top, but what's an i8 fanatic to do?

Last edited by drlonline; 11-27-2013 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: added photo
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #21
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Link to i8 mouse or it didn't happen

Or did you buy it while there?

Can't believe I missed that!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #22
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Link to i8 mouse or it didn't happen

Or did you buy it while there?

Can't believe I missed that!
I saw the mouse at the show, but they weren't selling them. Instead, I did an online search and found it at Amazon. Search for i8 mouse and you should see it. Alternatively, you can go to the manufacturers web site, landmice.com
Appreciate 0