BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

05-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #23
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louv View Post
drlonline: There was no discussion of the display key. We were given normal keys for the drive. In the press material we were given this is the only mention of the key at all:

"The manufacture of the key for the BMW i8 involves another innovative form of raw material production – its casing is made from a biopolymer based on castor beans. The oil gained from the beans is mixed with 30 per cent glass fibre to make an extremely high- quality and robust material."
Its practically the same mix of materials used to make mobile phone screens.
      05-02-2014, 09:40 AM   #24
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilum View Post
Sadly this leans towards what I had been informed about the Display Key no longer being available for the i8 (either as standard equipment or as a cost option).
Especially if they already have a "green" explanation of the cheap key. Hopefully the BMW i phone app will mirror some of the functions the display key would have had.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 01:26 PM   #25
forrests
Rep
Drives: i8

Did anybody who saw the car ask if it had ANY kind of Blind Spot Monitoring? If not, why???
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #26
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
Especially if they already have a "green" explanation of the cheap key. Hopefully the BMW i phone app will mirror some of the functions the display key would have had.
I'm still holding on to the hope that the customer cars will come with the display key, as previously indicated by SCOTT26.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #27
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/rem...awe-1564091094

I really hope the Display Key will (a) be available at some point, and (b) be given for free to early adopters if (a) doesn't happen when deliveries begin.

Last edited by ddk632; 05-02-2014 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #28
Louv
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mephisto Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrests View Post
Did anybody who saw the car ask if it had ANY kind of Blind Spot Monitoring? If not, why???
Well... there are those silvery things... I think my grandpa used to call them "Mirrors. If ya set 'em right, sonny, ya ain't got none of dem blind spots."

Seriously, I don't recall seeing the Blind Spot Monitoring in the car. And it isn't in the press kit text.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 07:44 PM   #29
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well... there are those silvery things... I think my grandpa used to call them "Mirrors. If ya set 'em right, sonny, ya ain't got none of dem blind spots."

Seriously, I don't recall seeing the Blind Spot Monitoring in the car. And it isn't in the press kit text.
What about windows - did you try opening the windows? Do they go down only partially, or all the way down?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #30
Louv
Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
What about windows - did you try opening the windows? Do they go down only partially, or all the way down?
The do not go all the way down. Sadly, they stay about 1.5" up from the door.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #31
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The do not go all the way down. Sadly, they stay about 1.5" up from the door.
Damn, that sucks. Thanks for confirming.

Why, BMW? First, the rear little side windows don't open anymore like they used to in my gone-but-never-forgotten E46 325Ci, then, the 6-Series (including the Gran Coupe) sunroof only cracks upwards, and now, the i8 has windows that don't go down all the way.

I suppose it's a small price to pay for having dihedral doors but still is a bummer. Not a deal breaker by any means, but a bummer nevertheless.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 10:07 PM   #32
Louv
Driver
United_States
Rep

Another oddness of the i8 windows is that they drop down a half inch when the doors open, and raise up just after after the door is closed, just like BMW's cars with frameless windows. But these windows are fully framed. I'm guessing it's an air pressure thing, not a "get the seal right" thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 10:24 PM   #33
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Damn, that sucks. Thanks for confirming.

Why, BMW? First, the rear little side windows don't open anymore like they used to in my gone-but-never-forgotten E46 325Ci, then, the 6-Series (including the Gran Coupe) sunroof only cracks upwards, and now, the i8 has windows that don't go down all the way.
It's usually do to the physical impossibility of full retraction. The size/shape of the glass is such that it can't be completely lowered. i.e. the rear windows in a Range Rover Sport left 3-4 inches above the frame because the rear wheel arch prevented it from lowering any further. The curvature and size of the glass appear to make it impossible to retract all the way. Not ideal but it is what it is.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 11:00 PM   #34
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Yeah it makes sense. 1.5" isn't that bad anyway. You get the open car feeling, just can't rest your elbow on the window frame/door.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 07:31 AM   #35
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
I'm still holding on to the hope that the customer cars will come with the display key, as previously indicated by SCOTT26.
Me too.

Quote:
Ooooh, the writer of the article used the photo I took of the standard key when I was at BMW UK's HQ. My 'work' is famous! LOL. ...But seriously though...
Quote:
I really hope the Display Key will (a) be available at some point, and (b) be given for free to early adopters if (a) doesn't happen when deliveries begin.
Quote:
Hopefully the BMW i phone app will mirror some of the functions the display key would have had.
I hope so too as well guys. The writer of the article appears to have the same sentiments as well, ref.
"If they do push it out the door in July without things like the display key and other features, I hope they take a page from McLaren and Tesla by offering free updates and upgrades to existing customers. Unless they come out and say those things are coming, but won't be available of early adopters..." and "all owners of the i8 will get the display key when it becomes available but until then here's an iPhone app that does the same thing."

Unlike normal BMWs, any additional comments and caveats in the contract have to be, in the UK at least, agreed with BMW UK, as the contract is determined by BMW, not by the BMW i dealer.
However, after a bit of negotiation, I've managed to get the following clause written into my contract, "Order subject to the availability of Laser Lights and Display Key. Mr ____ requires the option to add these two options before the vehicle goes into build. These options will be added, pending cost."
Not quite as hoped for (i.e. free or significantly discounted upgrade, should the options become available at a later date), but it was a compromise. My spec is frozen around Nov-14 (as my i8 is scheduled for Jan-15 delivery). So options for laser lights, Display Key etc. should be known by then.

T

Last edited by Tilum; 05-03-2014 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 07:43 AM   #36
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You're right, which is why I included this in the list of customer feedback which has been sent to BMW UK by my i dealer, ref.
"5) Blind Spot Monitoring (or lack thereof), which is strange as plenty of other cars have this facility (or option to spec it)."

Let's hope they add this as an option at least on customer cars. I agree with some people's posts about them not being essential (as the i8 has wing mirrors!), but a BSM feature on the i8 could help to mitigate against unintended collisions. So it seems daft not to add it to the i8 when the technology exists on lots of other cars!

However, maybe the 'The Surround-view' feature on the i8 (and other BMWs) provides this facility, albeit delivered via a different manner. Ref. Surround-View web page in the BMW 6 series options section,
"The Surround-view feature adds to the Reversing Assist camera and front and rear PDC to provide a clear 270° view around your BMW.
Additional cameras housed underneath the exterior side mirrors augment a top-down view in the Control Display, so that you can see exactly what is happening all around you.
Furthermore, cameras located in the left and right of the front bumper also provide a Side-view so that you can clearly see if it is safe to pull out of tight
junctions or exits where the view would otherwise be obscured from the driver’s position.
"

Can anyone that has a BMW with the Surround-View feature comment on this?

Last edited by Tilum; 05-03-2014 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #37
ddk632
United_States
Rep

The surround view is for parking and will automatically deactivate for safety reasons above something like 5mph or 10mph, not sure of the exact speed.

The side view cameras also will deactivate once you're above a certain low garage exit type of speed.

I have both of these features on the X6M. And no blind spot monitoring. However one neat trick I learned at the BMW Performance Center delivery experience might be helpful for us future i8 drivers. And is a good practice in general.

Position the side view mirrors outward so that you can't see the sides of you car at all, or very barely, through them. It takes a bit of getting used to at first, but virtually removes your blind spot! As soon as a car passes out of the mirror view, you will see it to your side.

Last edited by ddk632; 05-03-2014 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #38
Pitkis
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: i8 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilum View Post
However, after a bit of negotiation, I've managed to get the following clause written into my contract, "Order subject to the availability of Laser Lights and Display Key. Mr ____ requires the option to add these two options before the vehicle goes into build. These options will be added, pending cost."
I thought the same, but decided to go on now. Display key is coming with car according to Scott and I trust his word. And I can live without laser lights. They are long-distance only and of course must-have if you can order them. But, technology goes on and you can't always get everything. It's also possible that laser light may get even a bit more delay in case something goes wrong...and your car delivery date to moving to....May 2015 perhaps?!? So my slot is confirmed now for June production and delivery should be August.
      05-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #39
forrests
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:

Position the side view mirrors outward so that you can't see the sides of you car at all, or very barely, through them. It takes a bit of getting used to at first, but virtually removes your blind spot! As soon as a car passes out of the mirror view, you will see it to your side.
Yes, this is how I do it with my R8 but still the new technology is great (I have it on my Audi S7) if you are even "slightly" inattentive to who is next to you. I just think it is funny that this car with reportedly very poor outward visibility doesn't have at least this one modern safety feature now that it is found in many inexpensive cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 10:05 PM   #40
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The surround view is for parking and will automatically deactivate for safety reasons above something like 5mph or 10mph, not sure of the exact speed...

...I have both of these features on the X6M. And no blind spot monitoring. However one neat trick I learned at the BMW Performance Center delivery experience might be helpful for us future i8 drivers. And is a good practice in general.

Quote:
Yes, this is how I do it with my R8 but still the new technology is great (I have it on my Audi S7) if you are even "slightly" inattentive to who is next to you. I just think it is funny that this car with reportedly very poor outward visibility doesn't have at least this one modern safety feature now that it is found in many inexpensive cars.
@ddk632 Thanks for the response David; at least I (and others reading this) now have a better understanding of the functionality of the Surround-View feature... even if it doesn't help with Blind Spot Monitoring :/
As for the 'tip' (wrt wing mirrors), I do that anyway, and don't need the BSM feature. But BSM is a nice-to-have feature that helps to avoid any unwanted 'incidents', so if it were available as an option I'd 'tick the box'.

@forrests I do agree with you that BMW should have BSM as an available option on the i8, especially since the i8 is a demonstration of latest technologies. Having said that, I still can't believe that BMW don't seem to offer it on any of the cars they make! As you say, BSM is typically considered a 'Safety Feature' by the car manufacturers that offer this feature, so why BMW don't offer it on their cars when Safety is typically a (responsible) company's No. 1 priority is beyond me
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 10:20 PM   #41
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitkis View Post
I thought the same, but decided to go on now. Display key is coming with car according to Scott and I trust his word. And I can live without laser lights. They are long-distance only and of course must-have if you can order them. But, technology goes on and you can't always get everything. It's also possible that laser light may get even a bit more delay in case something goes wrong...and your car delivery date to moving to....May 2015 perhaps?!? So my slot is confirmed now for June production and delivery should be August.
I'm still not convinced about the Display Key being available, which would be a real shame, especially as it was listed as Standard Equipment in the UK brochure (which was subsequently pulled from dealers!). Guess we'll have to just wait and see.

In the UK we have quite a lot of twisty back roads, hence Laser lights would be quite beneficial to light the way ahead.
However, if it weren't for the auto-dip feature being available on the i8 I probably wouldn't have been bothered with having laser lights.
Personally, if I do use high beam, I find myself forever switching it off (thereby just using the main headlights) and back on again, so as not to dazzle oncoming traffic. Hence I typically just resort to using just the main beam.
But with the auto-dip feature it solves this issue, hence you can just switch high beam on and not have to worry about blinding any oncoming traffic.

I'm going to keep my eye out regarding availability of laser lights, Display Key, etc. as if BMW lists the price of them unreasonably high or any resultant delay to my delivery being too great, then I won't bother spec'ing them.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #42
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitkis View Post
So my slot is confirmed now for June production and delivery should be August.
With a confirmed slot for production, is that to say you have actually placed your order with the dealership and selected options? If so, you may be the first I've heard about that has done so.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #43
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
With a confirmed slot for production, is that to say you have actually placed your order with the dealership and selected options? If so, you may be the first I've heard about that has done so.
Isn't he European?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #44
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Isn't he European?
Yes (Finland), but I've not even heard of European orders that have been placed. Have you?
Appreciate 0