11-04-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
StuM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8 Protonic Blue/Pure Impulse/

Garage List
Fuel tank press sensor recall

BMW notified dealers re an i8 fuel tank (pressure sensor) recall today. I have the TSB and am trying to copy and post now.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
StuM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Fuel tank sensor TSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
BMW notified dealers re an i8 fuel tank (pressure sensor) recall today. I have the TSB and am trying to copy and post now.
[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Hmm, I wonder if mine falls under "certain" i8s. Looks like they have to drain the tank to perform the service. So I would probably make a conscious effort to take it in with as little fuel as possible. I've stopped for gas 7-8 times in the 3000+ miles I've put on the car and only once had to wait more than 10-15 seconds for the pressure to release, most of the time it's instant. The one issue I have had is the glass hatch needing what I would consider more than normal force to close it completely, otherwise you get a "Trunk open" warning.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #4
StuM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Recall of some cars

Not sure, Carac. I've never seen the noted "A pillar tag" on any type of repair from any manufacturer. Like most recalls, assume the dealers will have the exact cars affected within the BMW data system, by VIN.
Let us know what you hear.
Mine's to be built first week of Dec, so presume they will be correcting known issues to date, during each new build.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #5
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Not sure, Carac. I've never seen the noted "A pillar tag" on any type of repair from any manufacturer. Like most recalls, assume the dealers will have the exact cars affected within the BMW data system, by VIN.
Let us know what you hear.
Mine's to be built first week of Dec, so presume they will be correcting known issues to date, during each new build.
Talked to my service guy and he said there's no "recall", technically, this is just instructions for a fix if a customer complains about long fuel pressure release wait times or if the car throws the specific code listed. So as long as you aren't having issues with the fuel cover release or depressurization you're good.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 12:45 PM   #6
Glim1000
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 i3, 13 X5 35i, 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
Talked to my service guy and he said there's no "recall", technically, this is just instructions for a fix if a customer complains about long fuel pressure release wait times or if the car throws the specific code listed. So as long as you aren't having issues with the fuel cover release or depressurization you're good.
In the US they have a TSB and extended the warranty on the temperature & pressure sensor for 10 years, in other countries it will cost around $1000-1,500 to replace.

On the i8 the green release pull is in the trunk on the right-hand side under the side cover, on the i3 it is in the frunk to the right of the washer fluid filler neck. What I did was cut through the hole in the lower peg in the gas filler door, that way if it fails to release after depressurization, just push the gas cover filler door and pull slightly and it will open. Picture of where to cut on an i3:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vVJorMJftHJL6s2n8
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 08:28 AM   #7
Manivxr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d EB

Just been to my bmw dealer and diagnosis that fuel pressure sensor needed replacing. Checked with about TSB in UK and they said there wasnt one. Just waiting for warranty people to approve repair.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 05:31 PM   #8
Manivxr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d EB

Fuel pressure sensor replaced under warranty
Appreciate 0