BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

10-05-2020, 11:43 AM   #1
Sophisto
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 / BMW 850iA

Warning by BMW / Risk of fire

Just got a warning message in the connected app not to charge my roadster and not to use sports mode because a risk of fire. I also should not park the car with high charging level remaining.
Seems like something is wrong with the batteries itself.

It's not a recall yet as BMW obviously is still searching for the root cause.

Someone else here???
The roadster is one of the last ever built and brand new. Exactly 88 kms now!

And I didn' receive the message for my (pre-LCI) Coupe!
Both are EU models.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 08:45 PM   #2
BigT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 120Ah

There is a message on the German Motortalk board about Rückrufmaßnahme „00 61 67 05 00 Zellen im Hochvoltspeicher“ for several newer BMW and Mini Hybrids.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 02:14 AM   #3
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 LCI

No message yet on my connect app, I charge after every day if I drive (LCI in the UK).
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 02:35 AM   #4
Sophisto
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
There is a message on the German Motortalk board about Rückrufmaßnahme „00 61 67 05 00 Zellen im Hochvoltspeicher“ for several newer BMW and Mini Hybrids.
Thanks.
My app only shows "Technische Aktion 00 61 66 0500" but it should be about the same problem.

Can't do something anyway as BMW doesn't offer a solution for the problem yet.
Might end up in a free set of new batteries.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 05:09 AM   #5
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Wow, this is alarming!

What is the year of your i8? And how many miles are on it?
      10-09-2020, 07:28 AM   #6
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsgarageonline View Post
Wow, this is alarming!

I guess it's only alarming if you have a car produced between 13.3. and 16.8.2020, many of the affected cars not even delivered to customers. I guess the new number is for the different high voltage batteries in the i8 that was not in the original recall. It's also only a check for a rare problem. So no need for alarmism, especially for older i8s.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2020, 01:11 AM   #7
Sophisto
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsgarageonline View Post
Wow, this is alarming!

Built on March 16th 2020 - just minutes before the Covid-19 lockdown
Mileage: 88kms...

This is pretty annoying and I'm asking myself why BMW has delivered a car with a known(!) potential problem to me.
Car was ordered in September but the issue is known since August - at least!
Will speak to my lawyers next week if this "should better burn in your garage than in ours"-mentality is legal.
Could be my second i8 lemon then.

Last edited by Sophisto; 10-11-2020 at 01:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 12:19 AM   #8
Be-em-we
Rep
Drives: X3

Some more information regarding the battery topic: https://www.electrive.net/2020/10/13...delle-zurueck/

Sorry, it is in German
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2020, 01:57 AM   #9
Sophisto
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Google-Translation:

BMW is recalling several plug-in hybrid models again
225xe
330e
5 series
7 series
battery
Battery cells
BMW
Cooper S E Countryman All4
i8
i8 roadster
Mini
PHEV
X1
X2
X3
X5
Suppliers

BMW has another problem with the high-voltage batteries in plug-in hybrid vehicles. Because of possible impurities in the production process of the battery cells, there is an increased risk of fire with several model series. There are a total of 26,700 vehicles worldwide.

A third of the 26,700 units affected worldwide are in the hands of customers, the rest of them have been stopped. Specifically, it is about PHEV versions of the series X1, X2, X3, X5, 2-series Active Tourer, 3-series, 5-series, 7-series, i8 Coupé and Roadster, as well as Mini Countryman from the construction period January 20 to September 18 of this year. According to a spokeswoman for the group, its "country-specific not necessarily all these models affected". In Germany around 1,800 customer vehicles have to go to the workshop, another 3,500 vehicles that have already been produced in this country will not be delivered for the time being.

Background: BMW is currently purchasing its battery cells from CATL and Samsung SDI, and Northvolt will be another cell supplier from 2024. The "impurities in the production process of the battery cells" probably only occurred with one of the two current suppliers - which is why only some of the vehicles are affected. "In rare cases, these impurities can e.g. trigger a short circuit within cells in the high-voltage storage, ”said the spokeswoman.

BMW expects a solution "probably at the end of October". As reported by "kfz -betrieb", BMW has not yet been able to provide any details about checking the high-voltage battery or any repairs that may be required. According to the report, there is only a risk of fire when the batteries are fully charged, which is why the customers were asked in the recall notice not to charge their PHEV by cable anymore - the E-mode can only be used to a limited extent, but there is no risk of fire.

Ford had a similar problem with the Kuga PHEV in the summer: Since there were fires in four vehicles as a result of the battery overheating during charging, customers should no longer charge the battery by cable either. The cause at Ford is apparently a safety mechanism that does not dissipate enough heat and pressure reliably.

At BMW there were apparently three reports of plug-in hybrids caught on fire in the past week, specifically in Erfurt, Herne and Salzburg. BMW has not yet been able to confirm whether the incidents are related to the recall. The comprehensive analysis of the damaged vehicles is still pending.

But it is not the first problem BMW has with its PHEVs: 4,460 units of the BMW 3 Series, 3 Series Touring, X1, X2, X3, X5, 2 Series Active Tourer, 7 Series, 5 and 5 Series Touring and Mini were only recalled in August Countryman known. Internal controls revealed that a bead of sweat on the high-voltage battery from the component period from March 13 to August 6, 2020 was not completely removed during production. "In rare cases - depending on the shape, size and position of the weld bead - the contamination during the initial charging process could cause a malfunction, such as a short circuit in the high-voltage battery," says the manufacturer.

A battery recall that is currently under way at Hyundai is much larger: In South Korea, the recall of over 25,000 Kona Electric has already been confirmed. Hyundai is reported to have committed to a voluntary recall of 77,000 Kona Electric worldwide. Official information on the recall in Germany is not available.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 02:14 AM   #10
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep

Outch. That's really not nice, especially as I am not sure how much I would trust a battery after this, based on how reliable or unreliable the detection process for the problem is. I think I would ask BMW for a replacement just to make shure they have to ensure in writing that there is no risk from that battery and they take liability for everything that happens related to it. Otherwise you accepted that no action is taken based on a shaky test for the problem. Happy my 2019 Roadster isn't affected (this time and for now).
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 05:23 AM   #11
Sophisto
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Update:

My roadster is at BMW for a comprehensive battery test. It will take five days and every single battery will be replaced if necessary.

(Another i8 owner who just picked up his roadster when I came in was given a complete set of new batteries.)

Update II:
My roadster also gets a complete set of new batteries.

Last edited by Sophisto; 01-05-2021 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: Update II added
Appreciate 0