03-06-2016, 01:05 AM   #463
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
I was told it was oxidized gold. Good thing I didn't buy the submariner then, because they were charging a premium over the regular stainless steel black bezel/black face submariner.
No where will you find such details listed by Rolex. Many uninformed sales people will erroneously state that the dial is "green" gold. It was unfortunately embellished by Rolex on how they make it, but without hallmark stamps on the back you cannot say something is "GOLD".

As for the premium over the black. It is indeed very worth it. The green bezel is more difficult to manufacture and so is the the dial. The dial is a thing of beauty and never the same thing twice. The small premium is easily forgotten once you see the watch in sunlight just once.

People pay $5k for a different paint color that BMW has in inventory....I would argue that the LVC is much more of an involved manufacturing step. There's also the slight rarity compared to the standard black Submariner. Just as the LV seen above is special for a few reasons, green bezel, superluminova, maxi dial, the LVC is special from the black.
But! Black is timeless and classic and exudes traditional Rolex DNA like no other, plus the green isn't for everybody, the Black is.

Just look at those pictures, it's amazing to me, yet there are times when indoors that it looks completely black, Rolex has black magic in their designs.
cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 01:07 AM   #464
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake
Quote:
I was told it was oxidized gold. Good thing I didn't buy the submariner then, because they were charging a premium over the regular stainless steel black bezel/black face submariner.
No where will you find such details listed by Rolex. Many uninformed sales people will erroneously state that the dial is "green" gold. It was unfortunately embellished by Rolex on how they make it, but without hallmark stamps on the back you cannot say something is "GOLD".

As for the premium over the black. It is indeed very worth it. The green bezel is more difficult to manufacture and so is the the dial. The dial is a thing of beauty and never the same thing twice. The small premium is easily forgotten once you see the watch in sunlight just once.

People pay $5k for a different paint color that BMW has in inventory....I would argue that the LVC is much more of an involved manufacturing step. There's also the slight rarity compared to the standard black Submariner. Just as the LV seen above is special for a few reasons, green bezel, superluminova, maxi dial, the LVC is special from the black.
But! Black is timeless and classic and exudes traditional Rolex DNA like not other, plus the green isn't for everybody, the Black is.
Totally agree.

My GMT is an LV model, with the green 2nd hour hand, but at the time I preferred the black on stainless. I do like the green, but I knew I wouldn't be able to wear it everyday, and my GMT was basically my only timepiece that I would be wearing until I recently got my hands on the Spectre Omega Seamaster 300.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2016, 01:16 AM   #465
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Totally agree.

My GMT is an LV model, with the green 2nd hour hand, but at the time I preferred the black on stainless. I do like the green, but I knew I wouldn't be able to wear it everyday, and my GMT was basically my only timepiece that I would be wearing until I recently got my hands on the Spectre Omega Seamaster 300.
The Spectre or actually the standard Seamaster 300 MC is my next watch. The Spectre is quite nice, but something about the lollypop hand just doesn't sit well.
I have owned the GMT2 C LN(black ceramic dial with green hand is the LN model)...but never warmed up to it because I own a Deepsea at the time as well, I ended up trading it for BLNR. But whenever I see a GMT2 Ceramic I always have a soft spot because the green hand and green dial print is such a subtle but eye catching detail. The dial on the BLNR with white writing looks a bit sterile to my eyes at times.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2016, 09:19 AM   #466
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 E92, 17 X5M, 15 Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
None are green gold. The 16610LV(the one above) is the only true 50th Anniversary really. The new 116610 LVC(green dial/bezel) was advertised by Rolex in the first year of release to have gold flakes on the green dial to make the color. They have since pulled the advertising and there aren't any gold hallmarks on the back of the dial, nor can any current Rolex literature be found to back the claim.

Nonetheless, all are gorgeous watches. Let me see if I can shrink a pic of my LVC.
I have the same green ceramic sub and I love it. It goes surprisingly well with most clothes, that was one of the things I was most worried about.

I also have a Deepsea, a white 42mm Explorer II, and a DJ II with silver stick dial. I had a Sea Dweller and black ceramic Sub before. I have a lot of "fancier" watches, but the Rolexes are great, classic watches that look great and always work. Not sure what I'll get next.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2016, 09:54 AM   #467
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan

Garage List
The Hulk is a beautiful watch but in the end I had to go with the Kermit.
Since thats my only Rolex (besides a 1970 gold Presidential that is too formal for me wear daily) i figured sticking with a black face was a safer bet for a watch that you can wear with everything. I do wish the kermit had the same shade of green as the hulk does though.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2016, 11:18 AM   #468
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxgt3 View Post
I have the same green ceramic sub and I love it. It goes surprisingly well with most clothes, that was one of the things I was most worried about.

I also have a Deepsea, a white 42mm Explorer II, and a DJ II with silver stick dial. I had a Sea Dweller and black ceramic Sub before. I have a lot of "fancier" watches, but the Rolexes are great, classic watches that look great and always work. Not sure what I'll get next.
AP of course unless you're there already, PP will also elevate to the next level.
I love Rolex history and their traditional unwavering timeless design. Their watches are very robust and always reliable, more so than the sport models from AP or PP....but those watches aren't for banging around on the streets and their detailing is exquisite.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2016, 12:47 PM   #469
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
AP of course unless you're there already, PP will also elevate to the next level.
I love Rolex history and their traditional unwavering timeless design. Their watches are very robust and always reliable, more so than the sport models from AP or PP....but those watches aren't for banging around on the streets and their detailing is exquisite.
Yes I already have the AP ceramic diver as well as the steel diver. Yes I love divers, lol! PP is nice but they are a little too dressy and small for me. For a dressy watch I'd probably get a Grand Lange 1, but I just don't know how often I'd wear a dressy watch so I haven't pulled the trigger on it.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2016, 01:05 PM   #470
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes I already have the AP ceramic diver as well as the steel diver. Yes I love divers, lol! PP is nice but they are a little too dressy and small for me. For a dressy watch I'd probably get a Grand Lange 1, but I just don't know how often I'd wear a dressy watch so I haven't pulled the trigger on it.
God, I'm in love with the ceramic Diver and the steel for that matter, you're my hero. I also really like the 15400 blue dial and that rounds out my obsession with AP.
For PP I'd only ever commit to the 5711 blue dial also. But I can't have them all, not that rich lol. I have to pick and choose and right now I'm just limiting myself to three watches. Perhaps on my 50th Bday I'll treat myself to the ceramic Diver, so have a good wait ahead.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 01:12 PM   #471
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
God, I'm in love with the ceramic Diver and the steel for that matter, you're my hero. I also really like the 15400 blue dial and that rounds out my obsession with AP.
For PP I'd only ever commit to the 5711 blue dial also. But I can't have them all, not that rich lol. I have to pick and choose and right now I'm just limiting myself to three watches. Perhaps on my 50th Bday I'll treat myself to the ceramic Diver, so have a good wait ahead.
Ah yes the 15400 is another favorite! I like the simple time-only Royal Oaks (and offshores). I really like the Patek Aquanaut but it's a little small at 40mm. The Nautilus is a little bigger but I really love the dial on the Aquanaut.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 01:37 PM   #472
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Ah yes the 15400 is another favorite! I like the simple time-only Royal Oaks (and offshores). I really like the Patek Aquanaut but it's a little small at 40mm. The Nautilus is a little bigger but I really love the dial on the Aquanaut.
I would throw Vacheron Constantin into the mix - the third of "the trinity" with PP and AP. I happen to be a fan, but they have some great sport watches in the Overseas line. There is a new generation they released at SIHH this year that has some really cool features. I personally prefer them to the ROs and to most Nautiluses. Their dress watches are also super. I am kind of loving Lange for dress watches right now too.
      03-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #473
///Mongo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
I am kind of loving Lange for dress watches right now too.
Me too. This might be my next watch (in white gold).

http://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the...nia-moon-phase
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #474
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mongo View Post
Me too. This might be my next watch (in white gold).

http://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the...nia-moon-phase
Oooh... yeah. Love the simple lines of the Saxonias. That is sharp. So far, all of my "good" watches are white metal. I am with you on that. Sorry if we got a little OT from Rolex, but someone asked!
      03-10-2016, 12:54 PM   #475
Three Pedal Steve
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe' 6mt

Garage List
Aviator's Rolex

In 1969, when I passed my check ride and received my PPL, my Dad bought me a GMT-Master. He said a good aviator needs a good watch.

In 1936, my Dad was flying for PanAm and acquired his Rolex. Imagine navigating around the Pacific with only a sextant and a watch. It needed to be a good watch.
Attached Images

memories: '71 2002 (new), '72 Bavaria, '74 2002tii, '00 540i Sport
Appreciate 5
      03-12-2016, 04:12 PM   #476
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

Just a Saturday night image :-)

Ready to go:

Have a great weekend all,
Bent
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2016, 03:33 AM   #477
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Baselworld 2016 Rolex teaser. The new Daytona?? Who knows. We will find out in 2 days from now:

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2016, 06:17 AM   #478
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Hmm, not a Daytona. Saw no evidence of crown pushers. New Milguass, or different color 114060 Sub. It was a trip-lock crown so a sport model, a diver or new GMT2, the red scheme may suggest a Coke style theme possibly.

Edit...not a diver or GMT2....no rotating bezel. I'm going with Milguass.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 08:17 PM   #479
Eliminator 429
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Shelby GT350 Evo IX

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Rolex guys, I need some advice!

I have the opportunity to buy a Rolex Explorer II 16570 model for $3800.

The watch looks mint and was recently serviced and comes with a 2 year warranty. It also has all its papers and boxes.

I've been looking for an Explorer II but this seems like to good of a deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 05:15 AM   #480
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

But annoying at least.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 05:29 AM   #481
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post

But annoying at least.

Cheers
Robin
Trying to think of who out there is thinking "Damn, I want to wear what Michael Buble is wearing." Like... really?
      03-15-2016, 08:46 AM   #482
///Mongo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliminator 429 View Post
I have the opportunity to buy a Rolex Explorer II 16570 model for $3800.

The watch looks mint and was recently serviced and comes with a 2 year warranty. It also has all its papers and boxes.

I've been looking for an Explorer II but this seems like to good of a deal.
That is a very good price if it is genuine. Is it being sold by a reputable dealer?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 08:49 AM   #483
finaloption
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 f30 n26

Quote:
Edit...not a diver or GMT2....no rotating bezel. I'm going with Milguass.
maybe a new Explorer?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 09:29 AM   #484
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by finaloption View Post
maybe a new Explorer?
Plausible...we'll know tomorrow.