04-19-2024, 01:35 AM   #45
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss tone View Post
Oh that doesn’t sound good and ringing alarm bells now before it goes in on Mon!

Basically, I had a new elec heater fitted when I got the car under warranty. It’s out of warranty now and it’s gone again! Not really bothered me and wonder if it’s connected with the aircon not blowing cold after what you have said?

There is obv a weak point on these elec heaters to fail again. The part was only guaranteed for 2 years ands it’s way over that now unfortunately. I tried arguing but they cam up with the usual excuses.

We will see what the main dealer says after the re gas then?

No noises so was hoping it just needs a re gas as never been done.
Yes, this module is for cooling and heating. Maybe yours is still ok and only the pump got defective. When they replaced my heating/cooling module, all worked for one testdrive. Then the pump died. Sketchy, I know 🤪 Anyway, it runs fine now. Costs were about 2.4k, which is kinda ok, for a 9 year old car.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:14 AM   #46
i8fan
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

My key concern with this thread is that there is a lot of "noise" about A/C failures on i8s whereas like every other car on the road, there is an age issue here in terms of seals and the need to keep the AC system gas charged. Yes, some pre LCI i8s had a compressor issue but most (if not all) should have had that fixed by now. The key thing is that every i8 is now at least four years old from its point of manufacture with some being ten years old. I would absolutely expect that they would have need to have been re-gassed at least once during that time. Seals degrade over time and leaks can happen more frequently.

I walked away from an i8 at a main dealer where the AC was not working since the main battery cooling also relies on the refrigerant gas circulation and I was worried as to how the battery may have been affected by this.

As others have said, leave the AC on (so you can quickly detect if AC performance is declining) and have it regularly checked every few years.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:37 AM   #47
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ionic silver I8

Update:
Had my air on checked by Stratstone BMW and thankfully only needed a re gas and all good they said. Makes a nice change!
Appreciate 0