BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-31-2020, 08:18 AM   #1
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

I changed the transmission fluid in my i8

I decided to change the transmission fluid in the Aisin transmission connected to the mid-engine, after seeing how many of the Mini Cooper owners have done this. Since some Mini platforms share a similar B38 engine and transmission design to the i8, their information was very helpful. Their fluid was coming out brown and so was mine, after 32k miles.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n-6-speed.html

I could only drain 2.75L of the 5.5L capacity, due to there being much more fluid hiding in the torque converter, etc. I sent a sample to Blackstone for analysis, like the Mini owner did in the link below.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...000-miles.html

I'm considering doing this every 10k miles so newer fluid replaces older fluid, over time. The BMW ATF6 fluid that is recommended is cost prohibitive for doing this work. I did lots of research and the Febi Bilstein 29934 is a fraction of the cost and meets the same requirements for ATF6. Outside the US, some countries have access to the Aisin Premium ATF 6, which I couldn't get here in the US, or Aisin T-IV, but Febi was available at FCP Euro, so I'll do another drain and fill in the future and can send back the old fluid to FCP Euro for a 100% refund.

09-29-2020, 07:14 PM   #2
IAMONEILL
Registered
Rep
Drives: E-36 M3; '87 Grand National, '

Pat, love the video's that you post.
I had an idea regarding the changing of the i8 transmission fluid so that you don't need to remove the stiffening plate each time.
The next time that you remove that plate, measure from the 4 most distant torx bolt holes (in 4 quadrants) in the body to the transmission drain plug. Then, with a hole saw, drill an appropriate size hole in the stiffening plate at the location of the drain plug, located by using those measurement's on the same 4 bolt holes on the plate before reinstalling the plate. I don't think that the hole would have a structural impact on the plate. You could even make a cover for the hole in the plate to keep out debris.
What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 05:57 AM   #3
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMONEILL View Post
Pat, love the video's that you post.
I had an idea regarding the changing of the i8 transmission fluid so that you don't need to remove the stiffening plate each time.
The next time that you remove that plate, measure from the 4 most distant torx bolt holes (in 4 quadrants) in the body to the transmission drain plug. Then, with a hole saw, drill an appropriate size hole in the stiffening plate at the location of the drain plug, located by using those measurement's on the same 4 bolt holes on the plate before reinstalling the plate. I don't think that the hole would have a structural impact on the plate. You could even make a cover for the hole in the plate to keep out debris.
What do you think?
That exact thought went through my head after seeing exactly where the transmission plug was located. However, because this is a stiffening plate, and I don't know what forces are being applied to each area of the plate, I would be turning my car into a research and development platform. Because I daily it, I don't want to risk causing a problem for myself. But if anyone wants to try it, I'm eager to hear about the results.
      10-02-2020, 11:51 AM   #4
ghaffari46
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e90

Pat
Have you heard any failure in 2017 models?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 05:56 AM   #5
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaffari46 View Post
Pat
I haven't.
      10-09-2020, 06:33 AM   #6
ghaffari46
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsgarageonline View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaffari46 View Post
Pat
I haven't.
Thanks
BTW, I love your you tube channel. I'm a i8 daily driver too.
I'm planning to drive i8 during winter here in Pennsylvania.
I'll let you know if anything breaks down!
Appreciate 0