BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

08-31-2020, 09:55 AM   #1
DJP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i3s 2020

Wireless charging retrofit

Hi

Has anyone done this? Does it require a new armrest/usb cable and phone mount? I guess it needs coding as well?

Any info gratefully received!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 05:47 PM   #2
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
I don't think it has coding. It doesn't interface with the car at all. There's no alarm saying you left your phone in the car or anything fancy like that. Its just like a wireless charger plugged into 12v power. It would be a whole new armrest because its fully integrated into the bottom portion.

I have it in mine and its stupid. Save your money and get a decent charging mat for the cubby below the screen. Its too small in the i3 for full size phones and yet at the same time its too big for the Samsung Z-Flip. The loss of the storage space is miss and its an option I regret in my current i3.

Last edited by TimeFor; 09-01-2020 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 02:26 PM   #3
DJP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i3s 2020

Thanks for the info. I think the replacement armrest is pretty pricey, so you are certainly giving me reason to pause for thought.. I will have a look at mats for the cubby as you suggest - is that taking a 12v from the socket below the dash?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 10:50 AM   #4
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP View Post
Thanks for the info. I think the replacement armrest is pretty pricey, so you are certainly giving me reason to pause for thought.. I will have a look at mats for the cubby as you suggest - is that taking a 12v from the socket below the dash?
You could run a cord from under the dash around the passenger side between the lower leather dash, glovebox, and plastic trim. Then go up the side between the door and dash completely seamlessly. That's how I powered my clock and you can't see anything. The cord behind the upper dash is viable but barely as I tucked it into the leather seams and held it with some light duty double sided tape. Helps hide it if you have the dark leather. Get yourself some plastic pry tools and a thin 9ft black cord. Chargers are usually USB-C nowadays. Its a 20 min install.

If you found a small enough chagrining pad you could put one in the arm rest. But you'd have to take the whole thing apart to cleanly get power in there. That would probably look the best though. Flat cord might work better in the arm rest. Take a look at this cord: https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Compat.../dp/B087M8LZ2R

Best of luck and post what you come up with.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615121.00
      09-03-2020, 11:51 AM   #5
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Nixie tubes in an EV? Bold styling choice.....