cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz26 View Post
I like it and have ordered a car. What is annoying is that BMM invests a billion euros but can't get the technology behind its configurator to run smoothly and it only contains limited info. Whats the point of launching a bit of the spec when you cant find out what is included in each package e.g. in the UK called Standard, Loft, Lodge and Suite. Also no details on options or the cost of them! Obviously pricey and they don't want that to come out at launch!

Poor execution of launch materials in my opinion and I would like to buy one!
Contact your dealer. I have got the complete price list on e-Mail from mine.
Spoke to dealer yesterday still awaiting full details in UK. Are you able to clarify what equipment comes with each spec eg loft, suite etc
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:26 AM   #134
lux
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2, 2011 E90 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs4444 View Post
The i3 weighs around 25% less than a leaf (7-800lbs), it has a 30% smaller/ lighter battery (200lb less), yet gets over 30% more range without the range extender..these are all fairly significant gains.

Also the 4800lb tesla model s weighs 45% more than the i3 while getting a 44% (260 miles vs 112 max for the i3) longer range with its 1000lb battery and costing 50% more than the i3.

It seems that you get what you pay for, but the i3 is in a nice middle ground while being A LOT lighter than any rival. Which will no doubt make it the most entertaining EV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Dude, are you high? CFRP is super light-weight. The i3 weighs less than the Nissan Leaf by a good margin, and the i3 has a much higher level of refinement.

This is a city car, not a sports sedan. A 0-60 rating of 7.2 seconds from BMW is fantastic. That was the 0-60 rating of my 2006 GTI, which is a "hot hatch". This is an eco city car.

I get it, you're not in the market for a city car. That's cool. Frankly, I'm not either, but there's plenty about this car to get me excited. When BMW brings CFRP to their regular line up, it's going to result in some serious weight savings.
Okay I did more research and I will change some of my views on the i3:

It does offer superior acceleration compared to the Leaf/Prius/Volt. The range in EV mode is better than the Leaf at 80-100 miles. I would assume the fit and finish would be superior and the use of CFRP is good.

But IMHO it still looks ugly. Why is it so hard to design a city/EV car that looks beautiful? BMW would significantly increase sales for this vehicle if it chose a more aesthetically pleasing design.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #135
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
Low emissions is cool but $45K for fancy C-Max is out of touch with realty.
Not to people who realize the i3 is nothing like a C-max.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #136
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
Also... does i3 have an F or G number? The sticker on the shell at Park Lane said MCV (ie. MegaCityVehicle) is that it's internal designation?
The internal chassis designation for the i3 is i01.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:44 AM   #137
Pure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i EB , RR Ghost Black D

Avant-garde aesthetic year 2020!
New Color Solar Orange B78 stranger, more red than Sakhir Orange B50 of M5.

Last edited by Pure; 07-31-2013 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:57 AM   #138
ynotony
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
But IMHO it still looks ugly. Why is it so hard to design a city/EV car that looks beautiful? BMW would significantly increase sales for this vehicle if it chose a more aesthetically pleasing design.
I think it looks pretty great. The only thing slightly funky is the shape, but that is because we're used to cars with big engines and drive trains and gas tanks that defined the basic proportions of a car. Manufacturers of city cars are always trying to maximize interior space while minimizing exterior space, so if you don't need a big engine you get cars that look like the i3.

Wanting an i3 to look like a regular car is like wanting your iPhone to look more like an old school cell phone. Don't make it big with buttons if it doesn't need to be big or have buttons.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 12:15 PM   #139
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purecraftgerman View Post
Avant-garde aesthetic year 2020!
New Color Solar Orange B78 stranger, more red than Sakhir Orange B50 of M5.
The car looks ten-twenty years modern, it's from the era that the 4er coupe concept should have been in. I love how it's essentially a production concept car...

Solar Orange looks fabulous.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #140
MikeM5
Future Classic
Philippines
Rep
Drives: BMW / Porsche

love the interior, but the i3 has the face only a mother could love.

Melbourne E90 M3 | Jet Black E46 M3 | Techno E36 M3 | 997.2 C2S | 958 Cayenne GTS
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #141
02fireman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twistys

As an owner of a Leaf as well as a few BMWs I can say that I am waiting impatiently for this car. I bought the leaf as an experiment myself to see if I could live with electric in day to day life and use the cars when I needed to or just wanted to until the i3 materialized . I now find myself only burning gas when I need to tow the boat or my wife is driving the leaf. The biggest plus for me is that the payment is just a bit more than I would pay the OPEC boys each month. I just hope for two things, 1. euro delivery 2. a roof rack for the beach. (and yes, I want the Rex )

Z4M Coupe 6MT Monaco Blue #13/36 ...Keeper...
Z4 3.0 6MT ...Keeper...
2OO2 5MT ...Keeper...
335i 6MT Montego Blue M-Sport (Retired),X535d Vermillion Red/Saddle (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #142
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Can't drive an electric car until battery tech catches up. I enjoy driving to much, they just are not sporty enough from me. I could never have this be a commuter car. Something about doing the majority of driving in a slow mundane car (don't get it, you only live once). Whether it is this, Leaf, Prius or whatever. Why not drive something fast, fun, agile. A commuter car to me is a 135i or upcoming M235i. They get plenty good gas mileage and I can still drive like a hoon on occasion to work. Unless you are a major tree hugger, what is the point?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #143
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Can't drive an electric car until battery tech catches up. I enjoy driving to much, they just are not sporty enough from me. I could never have this be a commuter car. Something about doing the majority of driving in a slow mundane car (don't get it, you only live once). Whether it is this, Leaf, Prius or whatever. Why not drive something fast, fun, agile. A commuter car to me is a 135i or upcoming M235i. They get plenty good gas mileage and I can still drive like a hoon on occasion to work. Unless you are a major tree hugger, what is the point?
Theres a difference between commuter car and city car... i3 is a city car... for traffic jams, tight streets, tight parking, the i3 makes more sense, but if you get the opportunity to enjoy your drive, then fair enough... but don't write off all electric cars.. seriously, I've driven electric go-karts, and it was f***** awesome... you will never get tired of the torque delivery... instantaneous adjustment of the rear end of the kart using your right foot... i3 won't offer that, because it's a city car. If you don't appreciate the benefits of that, then the i3 isn't for you, whether it was an electric vehicle, or had a small ICE ...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #144
02fireman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twistys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90
You would be surprised how pissed off people get when they realize they were just outrun or blown by in a leaf or other electric. The torque is instant and no lag. The bummer is that it eventually drops off but until then while the guy next to you is trying to shift, you just hold it down. I've caught quite a few people by surprise. And the handling isn't too bad either, but I'll bet an i3 will handle quite well.

Z4M Coupe 6MT Monaco Blue #13/36 ...Keeper...
Z4 3.0 6MT ...Keeper...
2OO2 5MT ...Keeper...
335i 6MT Montego Blue M-Sport (Retired),X535d Vermillion Red/Saddle (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #145
surewin
///M3mber
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
This looks like a nice car to drive. The interior and exterior are nice and it looks like there is a lot of visibility for the driver.

6-Speed | Inconel M Exhaust | Stoptech | Macht Schnell | AST
Instagram: surewin_e92m

Last edited by surewin; 08-01-2013 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #146
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Hell has officially frozen over...
      08-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #147
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
Hell has officially frozen over...
Not quite yet. It will though when people show up at autocross meets next year with i3's and start beating gassers
      08-08-2013, 05:51 AM   #148
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs4444 View Post
The i3 weighs around 25% less than a leaf (7-800lbs), it has a 30% smaller/ lighter battery (200lb less), yet gets over 30% more range without the range extender..these are all fairly significant gains.

Also the 4800lb tesla model s weighs 45% more than the i3 while getting a 44% (260 miles vs 112 max for the i3) longer range with its 1000lb battery and costing 50% more than the i3.

It seems that you get what you pay for, but the i3 is in a nice middle ground while being A LOT lighter than any rival. Which will no doubt make it the most entertaining EV.
To compare the i3 to the Volt, the i3 comes with an optional range extender system which adds just 80 miles ("doubles the electric range" per BMW press release) to the total driving range and adds 330 pounds of weight, and $4,000 to the price. Which means the range-extended version of the i3 weighs 3,000 pounds and provides 160 - 200 miles total range for a vehicle price of $44,000. The Volt weighs 3700 pounds and provides a total of 380 miles of range. So from an engineering perspective the Volt provides almost double the range of the i3 for only 700 more pounds of vehicle weight. Meaning the Volt is about 35% or so more efficient in using vehicle weight in relation to vehicle range. The base price of the Volt was reduced to $35,000, or $9,000 less expensive than the i3.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #149
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
To compare the i3 to the Volt, the i3 comes with an optional range extender system which adds just 80 miles ("doubles the electric range" per BMW press release) to the total driving range and adds 330 pounds of weight, and $4,000 to the price. Which means the range-extended version of the i3 weighs 3,000 pounds and provides 160 - 200 miles total range for a vehicle price of $44,000. The Volt weighs 3700 pounds and provides a total of 380 miles of range. So from an engineering perspective the Volt provides almost double the range of the i3 for only 700 more pounds of vehicle weight. Meaning the Volt is about 35% or so more efficient in using vehicle weight in relation to vehicle range. The base price of the Volt was reduced to $35,000, or $9,000 less expensive than the i3.
Okay, how about comparing both to an Aventador? That way we'll at least be complete with fwd, awd and rwd, not to mention wildly different packaging and quality.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #150
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Okay, how about comparing both to an Aventador? That way we'll at least be complete with fwd, awd and rwd, not to mention wildly different packaging and quality.
Well the Volt and correctly-optioned i3 are extended-range electric vehicles of the same relative price and quality. Quite bullish of you to try and include the Aventador in the conversation...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #151
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Just busting your chops, your comparison still reminds me of trying to compare a Camry and a 328i. Sure, they kinda do the same thing, but they go about it very differently. I honestly have no idea of the comparable efficiency or range numbers of those two cars, it comes down to which is more fun to drive, and the i3 certainly seems to have massively better initial hype than the poor, over promised and under delivered Volt.

There's a reason the Volt and the Leaf have both received recent price reductions while Tesla has dropped their cheaper model. It's too early to tell if the i3 will be more of the former failure or the latter success, but it's certainly got more of my personal interest than the two losers.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #152
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Just busting your chops, your comparison still reminds me of trying to compare a Camry and a 328i. Sure, they kinda do the same thing, but they go about it very differently. I honestly have no idea of the comparable efficiency or range numbers of those two cars, it comes down to which is more fun to drive, and the i3 certainly seems to have massively better initial hype than the poor, over promised and under delivered Volt.

There's a reason the Volt and the Leaf have both received recent price reductions while Tesla has dropped their cheaper model. It's too early to tell if the i3 will be more of the former failure or the latter success, but it's certainly got more of my personal interest than the two losers.
Did you see Classic BMW has the i3? I think this is the first time I have seen it in north america...

My dad saw it this morning :O. I went after work just now but I didn't see it. Id did see the new infinity Q50. I thought it was a hyundai genesis coupe at first.

The dealership was cleaning up for some special event they are having tonight, my guess is they will have the i3 on display. I got invited to the event (RSVP only) but I can't go :\. Got a final exam tomorrow. My parents are going so I asked them to take lots and lots of pictures.

08-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #153
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Very cool, thanks for that! I'll have to go check it out.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #154
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Well, have you actually gone and test driven a Volt? I have. I test drove it on back-country roads around Orange Virginia, and hammered it really hard. I've been driving a 3-Series as a daily driver for 25+ years and I can tell you the Volt is quite impressive. Now at 9/10ths it may not feedback like a BMW 3 Series (from what I hear nor does the F30), but it's not bad; and like the i3 it’s not meant to be near-lux sports sedan anyway. You are assuming that the i3, because it has a Roundel on the hood, it axiomatically handles well, and that because the Volt has a Bow-Tie on the grill it’s over-promised and under-delivered (which it is not). The Volt delivers on the EPA rated electric-only range and in the gas-mode range too (unlike some recent hybrids). The build quality of the Volt is very very good. I can't see where the Volt and the i3 are not in the exact same class of car: Extended-range Battery Electric.
Appreciate 0