BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-24-2021, 12:52 PM   #111
rcaso26
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive

I invested in an old-school hip hop concert at Mizner Amphitheatre in Boca Raton, Florida last year with my brother in law (the LOTOS music festival). To make a long story short, the concert got postponed because of a hurricane, our headliner DMX entered rehab...just an overall disaster. We both ended up losing over $10k...never doing anything like that again. The fun part was that we hung out with all of the performers back stage and I met Coolio, Method Man and Redman, Vanilla Ice etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 01:00 PM   #112
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

lots of divorce talk here lol. luckily me and the gf of a few years agree that we don't care for marriage or weddings as they are a waste of money. same with having kids. we love taking our vacations and living stress free.

anyway biggest financial loss was having a ferrari 458. owned for 4 years and 8000 miles. $40k depreciation. probably should have bought land with that $100k down at age 30 but.. you only live once. I got it out of my system. YOLO

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 2
E92inNC1704.50
      03-25-2021, 01:52 PM   #113
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Like any other risk there are upsides and downsides. Like forums talking about car problems, talking to people in general and the divorced person goes on and on about how horrible his marriage was, then can't let it go for years or decades. Ask the happily married person about his experience and he say "everything it good" or "good and bad" but the endless droning about his past doesn't happen (note the people here).

Happily married for 15 years, got married when I was 36, likely the best financial decision I could make. Mortgage/utilities cut in half, vacations easy to go on and far cheaper, work around the house far simpler, discounts on insurance, can only think of positives financially. She is 5 years younger than me, has no interest in retiring and with her carrying insurance and reduced expenses, increased savings I can likely retire 5 years sooner than if I was single if I want to.

EDIT - Also add that it isn't surprising that when you ask people about their divorce experiences most have nothing good to say about it. Not like someone raves about their great divorce, it wasn't something they ever wanted to happen and it is unlikely to go well. Ask people how their last car crash went and it is negative also, doesn't mean driving a car is a bad idea or that it is inevitable. Divorce rate is 50% but consider all the bad reasons people get married (pregnancy, money, too young, think they can't find someone better) and if you eliminate these from your life the chances also drop. I decided a long time ago that I would only get married if I found the right person and was perfectly fine being single.

No guarantees, safest option is to live alone, have no relationships, stay away from everyone else, don't travel and only leave your house as necessary.
My oldest sis is 37 so I’m guessing my parents have been married close to 40 years and there’s definitely been up and downs with the relationship and life and all that but being Vietnamese there’s no divorce in our culture. The whole concept of getting in front of family, friends and god and vowing to be there through thick and thin is taken loosely in most places.

I myself am a monogamous committed type so infidelity have never been any kind of temptation but I could very easily see in any long term relationship we’d just drift apart or get sick of each other. I’d rather have the option of just walking away from each other without the years longs lawyer battle causing unnecessary stress. In a perfect world I have a life long gf, saving money together separately, travel, eat different food and have sex in as many countries as we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
lots of divorce talk here lol. luckily me and the gf of a few years agree that we don't care for marriage or weddings as they are a waste of money. same with having kids. we love taking our vacations and living stress free.

anyway biggest financial loss was having a ferrari 458. owned for 4 years and 8000 miles. $40k depreciation. probably should have bought land with that $100k down at age 30 but.. you only live once. I got it out of my system. YOLO
Amen to every part of your sentiment
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6024.00
      03-25-2021, 04:54 PM   #114
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92inPHX View Post
My oldest sis is 37 so I’m guessing my parents have been married close to 40 years and there’s definitely been up and downs with the relationship and life and all that but being Vietnamese there’s no divorce in our culture. The whole concept of getting in front of family, friends and god and vowing to be there through thick and thin is taken loosely in most places.

I myself am a monogamous committed type so infidelity have never been any kind of temptation but I could very easily see in any long term relationship we’d just drift apart or get sick of each other. I’d rather have the option of just walking away from each other without the years longs lawyer battle causing unnecessary stress. In a perfect world I have a life long gf, saving money together separately, travel, eat different food and have sex in as many countries as we can

Amen to every part of your sentiment
Nothing wrong with that either.

I think people make a bigger mistake of deciding for sure what they plan to do for the rest of their life instead of having an idea and seeing how it goes. Good friend of mine wanted to be married with two kids, certain type of job, certain lifestyle, all by a certain age. Years ago, when we went out he often seemed desperate as he was trying to hit deadlines and requirements instead of enjoying life and seeing where it takes you.

As for Vietnam, have you ever been or just family from there? My wife and I plan to go on vacation there as soon as Covid lets us (supposed to go last year). In normal times I spend a lot of work time in Thailand then travel a lot of the region so our last trip was Thailand, next is Vietnam. Trying to keep the job long enough for the vacation as it is much cheaper and easier as part of a work trip. I really like SE Asia.
      03-25-2021, 05:08 PM   #115
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 x40i M Sport

Arizona land, say no more... it will be make my heirs happy someday... else their heirs someday...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 05:19 PM   #116
Maitre_Absolut
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 CS, Audi RS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post

I think people who try to rationalize how kids will make their lives better and thinking of factors such as money/free time fail to see the bigger picture. The answer looking at it that way will never be yes on paper.

Have my boys cost me a 458? Definitely. Would I ever trade? Never. Could I have imagined what it was like beforehand? No. It takes a leap of faith.

I'll take sharing my passion for cars and watching them Kart race while driving my M3 vs driving alone in my more expensive exotic any day.

Also your 40k hit is not a financial loss. Thats less than 1k a month you would have otherwise spent leasing or depreciating something else. Now if you only put a handful of miles on it then yes more of a hit.
17 Porsche Macan GTS
14 Audi S4
Appreciate 2
S1nner118.00
      03-25-2021, 05:21 PM   #117
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

COVID.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2021, 05:41 PM   #118
E92inNC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that either.

I think people make a bigger mistake of deciding for sure what they plan to do for the rest of their life instead of having an idea and seeing how it goes. Good friend of mine wanted to be married with two kids, certain type of job, certain lifestyle, all by a certain age. Years ago, when we went out he often seemed desperate as he was trying to hit deadlines and requirements instead of enjoying life and seeing where it takes you.

As for Vietnam, have you ever been or just family from there? My wife and I plan to go on vacation there as soon as Covid lets us (supposed to go last year). In normal times I spend a lot of work time in Thailand then travel a lot of the region so our last trip was Thailand, next is Vietnam. Trying to keep the job long enough for the vacation as it is much cheaper and easier as part of a work trip. I really like SE Asia.
The country were one of the first to shut down travel and if the stats are accurate, the infections so far are around 2500 to date. It’s become a tourist destination the past few decades post war and I’ve read they soon consider letting people in with vaccine certificates. If you like Thailand you will most likely like Vietnam as the culture in SE Asia are very similar, mostly poor people just trying to make it through another day. I moved here when I was 7 but once this COVID thing passes my bosses/coworkers know I’m using up all my vacation time every other year going back for 3-4 weeks. $4000 is more than enough for a month long visit including flight, food and travel. I’m from Saigon and I plan on doing the Top Gear road trip up to Hanoi and then Ha Long Bay.
Appreciate 1
David701567.00
      03-25-2021, 05:52 PM   #119
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92inPHX View Post
The country were one of the first to shut down travel and if the stats are accurate, the infections so far are around 2500 to date. It’s become a tourist destination the past few decades post war and I’ve read they soon consider letting people in with vaccine certificates. If you like Thailand you will most likely like Vietnam as the culture in SE Asia are very similar, mostly poor people just trying to make it through another day. I moved here when I was 7 but once this COVID thing passes my bosses/coworkers know I’m using up all my vacation time every other year going back for 3-4 weeks. $4000 is more than enough for a month long visit including flight, food and travel. I’m from Saigon and I plan on doing the Top Gear road trip up to Hanoi and then Ha Long Bay.
I give the people of Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia (places I have gone the most and we have a plant in Thailand) a lot of credit. They don't have much but get by, generally pretty happy, crime is low considering the income, patience when it comes to people and crowds and driving. Now that I have spent a lot of time there the culture and people here irritate me more as so many have so much but still have constant complaints. Most there wouldn't have a conversation about their "biggest financial loss".
      03-25-2021, 06:06 PM   #120
E92inNC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I give the people of Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia (places I have gone the most and we have a plant in Thailand) a lot of credit. They don't have much but get by, generally pretty happy, crime is low considering the income, patience when it comes to people and crowds and driving. Now that I have spent a lot of time there the culture and people here irritate me more as so many have so much but still have constant complaints. Most there wouldn't have a conversation about their "biggest financial loss".
Lol I caught the same thing about myself when I visited for the first time in 2014. They have just the basics and are pretty happy cuz that’s the life they know and Im complaining about petty shit. If you notice, pretty much everyone’s front door is open unless they’re sleeping so any neighbor can just walk in and hang out without notice, helps contribute to the welcoming culture you’d want from tourist countries
Appreciate 2
David701567.00
Littlebear3508.50
      03-25-2021, 07:02 PM   #121
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Before I got into my current BMW, I had the following Challengers;

2014 RT
2015 Scat pack
2015 Scat pack shaker (custom order)
2016 SRT
2019 T/A (Custom order)

Going through so many challengers in a short amount of time is stupid. Oh, and somewhere in there I bought a Panerai watch. That was also stupid.

Here's one of those Challengers with THE M2 that made me realize that I was in the wrong line of cars.

Humdizzle6024.00
David701567.00
S1nner118.00
      03-27-2021, 03:23 AM   #122
2one3E90
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330i and Bmw 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [10.00]
2004 BMW Z4   [9.50]
2006 BMW 330i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
Before I got into my current BMW, I had the following Challengers;

2014 RT
2015 Scat pack
2015 Scat pack shaker (custom order)
2016 SRT
2019 T/A (Custom order)

Going through so many challengers in a short amount of time is stupid. Oh, and somewhere in there I bought a Panerai watch. That was also stupid.

Here's one of those Challengers with THE M2 that made me realize that I was in the wrong line of cars.

My favorite is the 2010 Challenger RT. 5.7L of pure speed. And the charger to. Always wanted one in all black to go race at night in. Are they reliable?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 09:16 AM   #123
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2one3E90 View Post
My favorite is the 2010 Challenger RT. 5.7L of pure speed. And the charger to. Always wanted one in all black to go race at night in. Are they reliable?
I wouldn't know, I never kept one long enough.
David701567.00