BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-20-2018, 07:55 PM   #1
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Life in Seattle?

Do any of you guys live in Seattle? Considering moving and need some advice on how is life there, car community. Any race tracks nearby etc? Do you enjoy living there in general?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 08:01 PM   #2
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswy6 View Post
Do any of you guys live in Seattle? Considering moving and need some advice on how is life there, car community. Any race tracks nearby etc? Do you enjoy living there in general?
I lived there just below 50% of the time for a couple years and was glad I didn’t live there. Just too gloomy and dreary. Once you get past seeing the local sights, it doesn’t seem so special to me. People don’t seem as friendly either. The other side of Puget Sound, however is stunningly beautiful. Haven’t been to any other parts of the state.

Last edited by c1pher; 12-20-2018 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
ItsGary1456.50
      12-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #3
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Yes 2 main tracks Pacific raceway and the ridge nearby. Pir bit of a hike.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #4
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Quote:
car scene is decent, but nothing like cali. We have a couple tracks up here, but nothing too exciting IMO. You have to drive a bit for tracks. Now backroads... we have plenty.

I love it here. The air is clean, the land is green and overall people are nice. Seattle is a great city. Everything is close by, good food, lots of outdoorsy things to do too if you like hiking, biking, fishing, hunting, skiing (water or snow), boating, etc. There's a ton of things to do up here and you literally are minutes from the mountains, sea and lakes. Plenty of job opportunities here too; google, microsoft, boeing, nintendo, amazon, expedia, t mobile. That being said, housing is pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
I lived there just below 50% of the time for a couple years and was glad I didn’t live there. Just too gloomy and dreary. Once you get past seeing the local sights, it doesn’t seem so special to me. People don’t seem as friendly either. The other side of Puget Sound, however a stunningly beautiful. Haven’t been to any other parts of the state.
The fall and winter months suck, but once you get to spring and summer I could argue that we have some of the nicest summers here. The weather starts to turn to rain/wind end of October and you can expect that to stay till end of March. Then the sun appears, flowers bloom and the scenery is amazing here. The summer temps are in the 80s to low 90s and it sunny for a good few months straight. Overall, the weather is mild and I like that. Its not too cold or hot.

Last edited by shimmy23; 12-20-2018 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 08:32 PM   #5
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
car scene is decent, but nothing like cali. We have a couple tracks up here, but nothing too exciting IMO. You have to drive a bit for tracks. Now backroads... we have plenty.

I love it here. The air is clean, the land is green and overall people are nice. Seattle is a great city. Everything is close by, good food, lots of outdoorsy things to do too if you like hiking, biking, fishing, hunting, skiing (water or snow), boating, etc. There's a ton of things to do up here and you literally are minutes from the mountains, sea and lakes. Plenty of job opportunities here too; google, microsoft, boeing, nintendo, amazon, expedia, t mobile. That being said, housing is pricey.

The fall and winter months suck, but once you get to spring and summer I could argue that we have some of the nicest summers here. The weather starts to turn to rain/wind end of October and you can expect that to stay till end of March. Then the sun appears, flowers bloom and the scenery is amazing here. The summer temps are in the 80s to low 90s and it sunny for a good few months straight. Overall, the weather is mild and I like that. Its not too cold or hot.
Oh I’m sure lots of people like it, like I said it wasn’t for me. I also ran into a lot of people who only lived there due to the high paying job situation compared to other areas and didn’t really want to be there either. The same could be said for any city like NYC or LA too so YMMV. Depends on what you like.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 08:35 PM   #6
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Shimmy nailed it. I'm a native Washingtonian, so am prejudiced. Have lived in Seattle area (Boeing, Microsoft, Crystal Mt. Ski Area) 45 years.

If you like hiking, kayaking, skiing, snowboarding (I taught skiing/snowboarding for 20 years full time after retiring), sailing, biking (#1 bike city in US), mt. biking, etc. It's the place to be. Dry side of the mountains is 1.5 hours away.

BIG Foody scene. Wine tasting in Woodinville. Winery tours 3 hours or less.

As Shimmy said, housing is pricey. He didn't say that traffic is lousy.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:01 PM   #7
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Car community is much better than what we have in Vancouver, Canada. I travel to Bellevue once in a while to meetup with a few friends/forum members.
      12-20-2018, 09:07 PM   #8
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

i head down there in the summer for mountain biking, it's absolutely amazing. High quality trails everywhere with real tech features. I could never live someplace where it's flat.
      12-20-2018, 09:27 PM   #9
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Thank you everyone for input. Sounds like there are people that really love it there, some people hate it. This will be a tough one. Deciding between Dallas and Seattle. Both companies that offered me a job are really good and it comes down to where i want to live
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:32 PM   #10
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Quote:
Thank you everyone for input. Sounds like there are people that really love it there, some people hate it. This will be a tough one. Deciding between Dallas and Seattle. Both companies that offered me a job are really good and it comes down to where i want to live
Between those two it's a no brainer. Seattle!
      12-20-2018, 09:32 PM   #11
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Dallas!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:54 PM   #12
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have lived in Seattle for sometime and visited Dallas many times.

I would choose Dallas every single time. Although Dallas might have lower pay scale but you get a lot more for your dollar than what you get in Seattle. Housing, cars, taxes (both doesn't have income tax but sales tax is 10% and gas is alot higher than it is in Dallas)..etc

Seattle has become very expensive lately not to mention the weather is cloudy for straight 8 months (yes during my stay I counted the sunny days during fall, winter and sprint). You also feel far from any other states (but that can be also said for Cali). Seattle wasn't for me so I moved after living there for 2 years.

Also as above said, you will find a lot people who would love to move out but due to job and pay they are stuck there until they find better alternatives..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:55 PM   #13
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Dallas would be little less left also. Left for Texas, so personal politics may matter.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 10:05 PM   #14
aswy6
Captain
Rep

I have visited Dallas countless amount of times but have never been to seattle. I also feel like its kind of isolated from everyone else...
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 10:18 PM   #15
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Dallas
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 10:22 PM   #16
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Seattle. I live in Dallas but want out. Summers suck.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 10:33 PM   #17
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Ugg, I go to Dallas for work every 3 months. Flat, very little public land, if you want to go hit trails you often have to pay (a lot of places are on "ranches", that people own), oppressive heat in the summer. It really facilitates staying indoors and eating IMO. Not much to see nearby. There are some interesting sections of TX, but the time required to get to those places is huge, you can drive all day and still be in Texas. In Seattle, the mountains, the sound, the coast, is all accessible and not far away. A few years ago I drove up Hood Canal to the Port Angeles area, just an amazing drive, there's nothing like it in Texas. You can't see anything from the highways in Texas. You probably don't have to worry about rust in Texas, so it does have that going for it. It doesn't rain all the time in WA, places like Squim are in a rain-shadow, the east side of the cascades is dry, and most of the time it is raining it's more of a drizzle type, not like a TX thunderstorm/tornado combo. The forests are amazing in WA too, you can have alpine, dry alpine, the rain-forest of the lower west cascades, or the amazing redwood rainforest of the Olympic Peninsula. That one is particularly amazing, as the redwood smell is so strong and permeates everything. You can go visit these places and just enjoy, without being overrun by people. For me, there's no contest. The things in WA are the things I like. Traffic sucks, but it does in Dallas too, so nothing different there. For some reason, Dallas has some real bad roads, I've never noticed anything as bad in WA, but Dallas is locked in an eternal battle to expand the infrastructure enough for the population and it never gets there. Been going down for nearly 7 years and the same stretch of highway has had construction the entire time.
Attached Images

Last edited by RM7; 12-20-2018 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
GoRomeo891.50
      12-20-2018, 10:44 PM   #18
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Dallas has some pretty nice scenery too!!

https://www.dallasobserver.com/arts/...s-area-9584743

Name:  dinosaurvalley_texasparksandwildlife.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  523.8 KB
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 11:15 PM   #19
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Dallas all day. Cost of living is crazy in Seattle and Bellevue. Top that off with absolutely crazy traffic and way to much rain. Seattle... No thanks wont ever consider living there again.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 12:48 AM   #20
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlpfcb View Post
Dallas all day. Cost of living is crazy in Seattle and Bellevue. Top that off with absolutely crazy traffic and way to much rain. Seattle... No thanks wont ever consider living there again.
Can't disagree with you on Seattle. Lived here all my life (40+ years) - cost of living is nuts, traffic is ridiculous and getting noticeably worse by the year, winters suck, and the politics/taxes are just silly.

Still, Dallas? Been there for work - flat, dry, hot, no culture whatsoever, as scenic as a pasture. But yah, if you're into open spaces, better cost of living, better winters, I can seeing preferring it over Seattle. Two very different cities to compare.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 01:44 AM   #21
IanMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M3 Sedan

Car community is huge.

Liberals there suck ass.

Taxes also suck ass.

Liberals continuously vote for more taxes so nobody can afford to live there.

Beautiful city, beautiful place and surrounding area.

7/10. Would move there again.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 05:14 AM   #22
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMan View Post
Car community is huge.

Liberals there suck ass.

Taxes also suck ass.

Liberals continuously vote for more taxes so nobody can afford to live there.

Beautiful city, beautiful place and surrounding area.

7/10. Would move there again.
It's not as bad as most people make it:
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...9QEwAHoECAkQCA

If we always vote for taxes, why did we just vote down a carbon tax? Google 1631 referendum.

Seattle summers are very dry - 1/2" rain in each of July and August, about an inch in Sept, June is a couple IIRC. Temps usually around 75-85 ( 80% or so houses have no A/C). Meanwhile Dallas is getting pounded during it's summer with more rain than falls in Seattle in an entire year - gets only about 35" - someone mentioned rain shadow in Sequim it exists in Seattle, too.

Go to Instagram and search for "Mt. Rainier Gondola". 2nd most popular Instagram in WA.
Appreciate 0