07-26-2015, 11:54 AM   #23
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08' M5, '09 335i, '18 M3 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
Are you nuts? You cant understand why someone would want a Lamborghini over an Audi? LOL

No. I am not nuts. I test cars and give you my opinion. The Huracan has no advantage over an R8, its quality is a joke, the brakes overheat too fast and we had several problems with its ABS system. The Huracan is a show (off) version of the R8. Some buy a car only because of a name or because they think they are the shit because they own it, others buy cars purely because of their performance or quality.

Verde Mantis Green M3 F80 Manual
-
Motor Journalist from Germany and BMW Genius
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2015, 12:00 PM   #24
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
The Huracan is a mid 10s car trapping well over 130mph that weighs a bit over 3400lbs. The new R8 needs to be a big improvement over the '14 model to compete.

Build quality is apparently a different story as OP states.
Just FYI. The old R8 V10 needed 11.8 seconds to 200 km/h. The facelifted version with DCT ca. 10.8 and the new one 9.8 seconds. The Huracan needs 9.9 seconds (at least officially). Colleagues have tested with 9.6 seconds. But we have yet to wait for the real numbers of the R8.
&
Top Speed R8 - 330 km/h
Top Speed Huracan - 325 km/h

-
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 12:03 PM   #25
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
i drove the last generation R8 V10 Spyder around Road Atlanta a few years ago and it was AMAZING.....

understeer? you must have not been driving it correctly. In fact i thought it was superbly well balanced...
Sorry but we thoroughly test the cars up to the limit and the R8 had a pretty good understeer tendency. It came in a lot later than on other Audi's and was within and acceptable envelope but the new one topped that. You must have not gotten close enough to the limit of the car.

-
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 01:38 PM   #26
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

If price was the same and performance, I'd pick the lambo every time over the ugly R8. So far on every version I've thought it was ugly. I've seen many in person. Nothing beats Italian styling. Performance trumps looks however so if it outperformed the lambo maybe. I don't understand the brake issue with the lambo. R8 has different brakes? I thought it was the same stuff both cars just different bodies.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 01:40 PM   #27
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgroschi View Post
Some buy a car only because of a name or because they think they are the shit because they own it, others buy cars purely because of their performance or quality.
I think lamborghini owners don't buy their car with their last money.
If they want an audi on the side they buy that too....

I don't understand why the lamborghini brakes would overheat so fast and the r8 brakes wouldnt.

Maybe you don't understand why people rather have the huracan, but then you probably wouldn't understand why the R8 devaluates more quickly than it's lamborghini counterpart.

If we wanted the fastest and best engineerded car for a fair price we'd all be driving tuned GT-R's
Buying from an italian supercar manufacturer is never a rational decision....
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 07-26-2015 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 02:31 PM   #28
TahoeM3
Major
Rep
Drives: F-type R, GTR, X5 50i

Nice performance, looks like they upgraded a lot. I wish it didn't look so much like a TT, though.
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2015, 02:31 PM   #29
combatbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 20' X3M CP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post

I don't understand why the lamborghini brakes would overheat so fast and the r8 brakes wouldnt.

Maybe you don't understand why people rather have the huracan, but then you probably wouldn't understand why the R8 devaluates more quickly than it's lamborghini counterpart.

If we wanted the fastest and best engineerded car for a fair price we'd all be driving tuned GT-R's

I feel the same way.
People buy Lambos not just for performance but its a status car.
Don't get me wrong the R8 and Audi in general are really cool cars.
Retired:2015 M5 CP MSR Intake|Carbon Fiber Fender Vents|Meisterschaft GTC catback with LXR mid pipes and ER Catless DPs | BPMSPORT Stage II Tune | RKP Rear Diffuser and Challenge Center piece |RKP Front Lip| Painted Reflectors | H&R Springs | Strasse SM5R Carbon Fiber Wheels | Nitto R888 |
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 03:04 PM   #30
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
If price was the same and performance, I'd pick the lambo every time over the ugly R8. So far on every version I've thought it was ugly. I've seen many in person. Nothing beats Italian styling. Performance trumps looks however so if it outperformed the lambo maybe. I don't understand the brake issue with the lambo. R8 has different brakes? I thought it was the same stuff both cars just different bodies.
Well if you personally think the Huracan looks better there is nothing to argue

Well that idk. Audi doesn't have the best brakes either. But the R8 brakes seem pretty solid. Only done a few laps on a track so far, so gotta wait and see how it performs during a real track test.

Aventador doesn't last 2 laps on a circuit.

-
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 03:05 PM   #31
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Exactly. I think it looks like a fat TT. The TT in America has been branded the hay guy car for better or worse. It had every know and switch done in a goofy octagon patten but zero balls. It was owned overwhelmingly more by homosexual males than other cars. Not pc but reality. This just looks like a puffy TT. If the TT had the power to weight ratio to match the looks like Cayman power or lotus elise would have done better.instead it's the fiero of audi.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 03:11 PM   #32
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:

Yeah but you either buy the Huracan or the R8.

I can't answer you that about the brakes. As I said, I have only driven a few laps on the track with the Audi Ceramic brakes. Gotta wait and see how it performs during a full on track test.

The old R8 was far away from the Gallardo in terms of performance. The new one as I said, is as quick and has a much better cabin. I am sure it will hold up better than ever value wise. And of course just the name Lamborghini will make your car depreciate slower. That doesn't make it the better car

And no... the GT-R is very fast and is very good value., but it's a bit of a plastic box. :/ Now I'm gonna get hammered lol. No but a GT-R customer is someone who wants pure performance nothing else.

-
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 03:12 PM   #33
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatbmw View Post
I feel the same way.
People buy Lambos not just for performance but its a status car.
Don't get me wrong the R8 and Audi in general are really cool cars.
Exactly. Lambo is a status car.

-
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 03:19 PM   #34
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

I don't know if lamborghini is a 'status car'.
If you buy it with that intention you buy it for someone else.

Isn't it possible that you just like the outrageous styling?

To call it a status car says more about the person saying that than about the car imho.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 03:29 PM   #35
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I don't know if lamborghini is a 'status car'.
If you buy it with that intention you buy it for someone else.

Isn't it possible that you just like the outrageous styling?

To call it a status car says more about the person saying that than about the car imho.
Well it is possible that people buy it for the styling. It probably also depends where in the world you are talking about You are in the Netherlands. I spend most of my time in Los Angeles. Trust me... it's a status car there. Of course you should never generalize. I was just saying from a car tester point of view it makes no sense to buy the Huracan. Of course people have a reason to buy a Huracan and that's okay.

-
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 04:24 PM   #36
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

from that point of view it probably also doesnt make sense to buy an audi A3 because that's an expensive golf too. A status car in it's own market segment.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 04:50 PM   #37
///F80M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 AW M3

Huracan is just sexy and that sound is amazing. My neighbor has one so i get to see/hear it everyday.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 05:42 PM   #38
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
from that point of view it probably also doesnt make sense to buy an audi A3 because that's an expensive golf too. A status car in it's own market segment.
No. Cause the A3 has a much higher build quality and a much nice interior and infotainment system than the Golf. So no.

-
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 05:43 PM   #39
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///F80M3 View Post
Huracan is just sexy and that sound is amazing. My neighbor has one so i get to see/hear it everyday.
It has been a few months since I last drove a Huracan but from my memory the R8 sounds pretty much the same now.

-
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2015, 07:15 PM   #40
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgroschi View Post
No. Cause the A3 has a much higher build quality and a much nice interior and infotainment system than the Golf. So no.
Kinda like a Lexus is a Toyota or a Caddy is a Chevy . BMW is a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 09:21 PM   #41
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Kinda like a Lexus is a Toyota or a Caddy is a Chevy . BMW is a BMW.
Kinda like a huracan is a R8

But seriously: are they the same underneath? technically I mean.
So in detail: same valves in the shocks, same spring rate, same antirollbar stiffnes, same brake disc diameter, same diff gear ratio same suspensionbushingstiffness etc etc etc.
It's had to get reliable data about weight, but audi USA lists the R8 (v10+) curb weight over 200kg more than the official huracan dry weight. I'm sure it has a large fuel tank, but not 200L large. So is there a significant weight difference?

Last edited by GuidoK; 07-26-2015 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 0