BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

12-22-2020, 02:24 PM   #1
dio
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Considering buying a 2015 i3 - pls help w your opinion

Hi All,

I've never had an electric car, but I'm very interested in the technology. I'm considering buying a 2015 i3 base model with 75k km (46k miles) at a fairly decent price in western Canada. However, I have some concerns where those of you with experience may be able to advise me:

This model has the 60 Ah, 18.8 kWh capacity battery. However, last night, with a nearly fully charged battery the range was displayed at 76 km (48 mi) with no heat, lights, etc. on, at an ambient temperature of about 1 deg C (34 F). Looking up the "hidden" menu, the Batt. Kapa.max was 13.9 kWh. The BMW battery warranty would kick in theoretically at 13.15 kWh or less.

This car originally was purchased in California, so I'm not sure how BMW Canada would feel about the battery warranty.

My typical driving would include 86 km (54 mi) trips among many short ones. I'd keep this i3 for about two years, but I'm concerned about the range and the resale value if the battery gets worse and cannot be replaced under warranty.

Please help me by sharing your opinion/experience. Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 02:29 PM   #2
n3985
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a car

Expect a 20-30% drop in range regardless of battery size in the cold, therefore a 2015 may not work well for you and cause constant range anxiety.

Resale value will be poor, early i3 will continue to heavily depreciate as newer EVs come to market.
Appreciate 4
vreihen1614889.50
dio7.50
lab_rat394.50
AndyW650.00