BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

07-28-2015, 11:27 PM   #89
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

Finally drove a Tesla S P85D today. Happened to belong to a school board member that wanted a ride in my i8. The four door saloon is incredibly fast and will smoke a lot of high performance sports cars off the line, including the Porsche 911T and 458 Italia that I just drove. Although I haven't driven the Porsche Turbo S, I think that the Tesla could even give it a run for its money based on a short 0-60 sprint. When it came to handling, there was much to be desired. With its less than attractive interior and extra large interactive screen, the Tesla seemed to be more generic and more tech oriented than for the spirited driving enthusiast.

While there is much to be admired about Elon Musk and Tesla, I fear that the future e vehicles produced by its competitors such as: Porsche, BMW, Audi and Mercedes will eventually eclipse the progress they're attempting to make. If Musk is serious about sustaining Tesla in the automotive world, he should pay more attention towards designing a vehicle that would appeal to driving enthusiasts, who are not only interested in speed but who are also interested in: performance handling, appealing interior/exterior design,and higher quality build/materials.

Getting back to today's Tesla drive, I'm still not feeling it for the Tesla sedan. On the other hand, the Tesla owner, who graciously allowed me to drive his vehicle, is now looking into an i8 as an additional vehicle.

Last edited by YWGT3; 07-29-2015 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 6
      07-29-2015, 02:04 AM   #90
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yw View Post
Finally drove a Tesla S P85D today. Happen to belong to a school board member that wanted a ride in my i8. The four door saloon is incredibly fast and will smoke a lot of high performance sports cars off the line, including the Porsche 911T and 458 Italia that I just drove. Although I haven't driven the Porsche Turbo S, I think that the it could even give it a run for its money based on a short 0-60 sprint. When it came to handling, there was much to be desired. With its less than attractive interior and extra large interactive screen, the Tesla seemed to be more generic and more tech oriented for the spirited driving enthusiast.

While there is much to be admired about Elon Musk and Tesla, I fear that the future e vehicles produced by its competitors such as: Porsche, BMW, Audi and Mercedes will eventually eclipse the progress they're attempting to make. If Musk is serious about sustaining Tesla in the automotive world, he should pay more attention towards designing a vehicle that would appeal to driving enthusiasts, who are not only interested in speed but who are also interested in: performance handling, appealing interior/exterior design,and higher quality build/materials.

Getting back to today's Tesla drive, I'm still not feeling it for the Tesla sedan. On the other hand, the Tesla owner who generously allowed me to drive his vehicle is now looking into an i8 as an additional vehicle.
Two thumbs up!
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2015, 05:28 PM   #91
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by yw View Post
Finally drove a Tesla S P85D today. Happened to belong to a school board member that wanted a ride in my i8. The four door saloon is incredibly fast and will smoke a lot of high performance sports cars off the line, including the Porsche 911T and 458 Italia that I just drove. Although I haven't driven the Porsche Turbo S, I think that the Tesla could even give it a run for its money based on a short 0-60 sprint. When it came to handling, there was much to be desired. With its less than attractive interior and extra large interactive screen, the Tesla seemed to be more generic and more tech oriented than for the spirited driving enthusiast.

Getting back to today's Tesla drive, I'm still not feeling it for the Tesla sedan. On the other hand, the Tesla owner, who graciously allowed me to drive his vehicle, is now looking into an i8 as an additional vehicle.
If you are referring to a Porsche Panamera turbo S, yes it hangs on in the beginning, not over 120 km/h. If you mean Porsche 991 Turbo S, then you havent driven one.

Check this out:
http://www.autozeitung.de/sites/defa...en-Tabelle.pdf

For comparison BMW i8, same mag:

Same mag, Porsche 991 Turbo S,0-100 2.9 s, 0-200km/h 9.7s!!!:

So up to 140 km/h the Tesla is slightly ahead, but then the i8 passes.

There is a limitto how much driving pleasure you can get out of a heavy sedan. It is not that bad compared to a 2 ton sedan like the RS7 etc, but we are comparing it to a carbon fibre lightweight,which is not fair.

Comparison test:
http://www.topgear.com/car-news/spee...p85d-vs-bmw-i8

Last edited by kip1; 07-31-2015 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 01:41 AM   #92
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip1 View Post
If you are referring to a Porsche Panamera turbo S, yes it hangs on in the beginning, not over 120 km/h. If you mean Porsche 991 Turbo S, then you havent driven one.

Check this out:

For comparison BMW i8, same mag:

Same mag, Porsche 991 Turbo S,0-100 2.9 s, 0-200km/h 9.7s!!!:

So up to 140 km/h the Tesla is slightly ahead, but then the i8 passes.

There is a limitto how much driving pleasure you can get out of a heavy sedan. It is not that bad compared to a 2 ton sedan like the RS7 etc, but we are comparing it to a carbon fibre lightweight,which is not fair.

Comparison test:
http://www.topgear.com/car-news/spee...p85d-vs-bmw-i8
Thanks for the links.

You're quite right. I haven't had the opportunity to drive the (911) Turbo S version. What I intended to say was that the Tesla in question, out of humor, a four door sedan would probably give it a run for its money versus outright beat on a short sprint.

I also agree that the comparisons may not make sense. However, the i8 with its many characters, gets drawn into unfair comparisons.

Last edited by YWGT3; 08-01-2015 at 01:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 09:20 AM   #93
3s-a-charm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
If there was an electric only version of an M5, RS7, or Panamera, with an intuitive touch screen that updates itself constantly - I would trade in my P85D in a heartbeat. True the handling of the Tesla is sub-par but overall (imo) it is still the best car overall. Once you experience daily driving in silence with the torque of an electric single-gear drivetrain you may have a hard time going back. I think it handles close to a 7-series... But launches like a Turbo 911... And the interior is sparse but decent.

i8 would be better as an M8 supercar. The BMW i division needs to come up with a i5.

Sorry, it's hard to defend a Tesla on a BMW forum - I've owned and enjoyed BMWs all my life but I thoroughly enjoy my Tesla now (much more than any other car I've owned) and would welcome a better car from BMW to pull me back.