BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-12-2018, 07:03 AM   #1
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

German Engineering... The last straw

This is the last straw! I'm no longer going to buy into the hype of German Engineering!

Seems that it's not only German cars that need software updates. hmpf.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/german-...sea-1515753000

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 07:07 AM   #2
Rik84
Full Potato
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Seeing as the F35 is a disaster of American engineering I would assume you are now specifically looking at Asian vehicles? There was a pesky nuclear issue in Japan a few years ago i guess that means they are out as well...

So Korean from this point forward?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 07:08 AM   #3
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik84 View Post
Seeing as the F35 is a disaster of American engineering I would assume you are now specifically looking at Asian vehicles? Seeing as there was a pesky nuclear issue in Japan a few years ago i guess hat means they are out as well...

Perhaps a Schwinn...lol

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 07:38 AM   #4
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

I heard it handles like a boat....
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 09:37 AM   #5
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
The increasing complexity of modern day vehicles has led to some very interesting reliability problems.

Working in the technology field, I'm very aware that computers break, and software has issues. This makes me confused when I see things that manufacturers insist on making computer controlled when they do not need to be. Things such as electronic throttle bodies, HVAC controls, 10 million body control modules, etc.

A family friend recently bought a 2017 Honda HR-V suv to replace her aging 2006 Honda Civic with 220k miles. The HR-V has left her stranded three times due to a body control module problem. A glitch with the module will cause the vehicle to do nothing. They are currently fighting to lemon law the vehicle, and this seems to be a common problem on the HR-V. The dealership has replaced the module 3 times, but each time they claim the problem is damage due to mice nests. I checked the vehicle for myself and there were no signs of mice anywhere, it was spotless.

Her husband has a newer Jeep Cherokee that has transmission programming issues, causing it to go into lip mode on the highway. It has been to the dealer a few times as well. Their most reliable vehicle right now is the 12 year old Civic with over 200k miles that thankfully they didn't sell before they started having these issues.

After hearing this I'm surprised BMWs are as reliable as they are considering their complexity.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 2
F32Fleet3570.00
RABAUKE4656.00
      01-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #6
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
The increasing complexity of modern day vehicles has led to some very interesting reliability problems.

Working in the technology field, I'm very aware that computers break, and software has issues. This makes me confused when I see things that manufacturers insist on making computer controlled when they do not need to be. Things such as electronic throttle bodies, HVAC controls, 10 million body control modules, etc.

A family friend recently bought a 2017 Honda HR-V suv to replace her aging 2006 Honda Civic with 220k miles. The HR-V has left her stranded three times due to a body control module problem. A glitch with the module will cause the vehicle to do nothing. They are currently fighting to lemon law the vehicle, and this seems to be a common problem on the HR-V. The dealership has replaced the module 3 times, but each time they claim the problem is damage due to mice nests. I checked the vehicle for myself and there were no signs of mice anywhere, it was spotless.

Her husband has a newer Jeep Cherokee that has transmission programming issues, causing it to go into lip mode on the highway. It has been to the dealer a few times as well. Their most reliable vehicle right now is the 12 year old Civic with over 200k miles that thankfully they didn't sell before they started having these issues.

After hearing this I'm surprised BMWs are as reliable as they are considering their complexity.
Tip o' the hat to zee Germans then, eh?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #7
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Tip o' the hat to zee Germans then, eh?
The Germans will always have complex problems, but they have also been building complex cars for a lot longer.

People rave about Toyota reliability, but they have also been using the same technology like 4 speed automatic transmissions and Port EFI for 30 years. Now that manufacturers are being forced to use more technology to compete, things are getting interesting.

Look at Honda's new 1.5T engine, it has a bunch of issues with pistons breaking and fuel dilution so bad it increases the oil level in the crankcase. This isn't to say the Germans are without their flaws, but it will be interesting to watch.

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 10:38 AM   #8
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Ahhh, this is why I love my "old gal". My e36 is as analog as you can get. No backup cameras or electronic things that break. When something goes wrong, it's usually a pretty easy fix.

I also believe manufactures have made it so complex to work on your own vehicles so you have to bring them in to get them fixed. Hate to use the old cliche, but they don't make 'em like they used to. Tough to get 100k miles out of modern cars.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 1
RABAUKE4656.00
      01-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #9
zinengineer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Space Gray X5 M Sport

I frequently tell people at work that some days I long for a Big Chief tablet and a box of crayons.
Attached Images

RABAUKE4656.00
      01-12-2018, 10:58 AM   #10
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It's not even the engineering, it is the bean counters and everything being built to a price point.

On my GF's car, a little plastic coolant hose connector that split almost melted down an entire engine.

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #11
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

The bells and whistles are really nice until the o/b computer decides to screw with you. I have a 2015 MB GLK and my primary concern about long term ownership isn't the mechanical stuff it's the electrical stuff. None of it is cheap to fix and you can't really do any maintenance on it like you can with the mechanicals.
Appreciate 1
Reborn_298.00
      01-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #12
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik84 View Post
Seeing as the F35 is a disaster of American engineering I would assume you are now specifically looking at Asian vehicles? There was a pesky nuclear issue in Japan a few years ago i guess that means they are out as well...

Nope.
Appreciate 0