Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Considering a move to Calabasas

Hello everyone,

I am currently considering to move to Calabasas and would like some advice. I have also been looking into surrounding areas such as hidden hills and Westlake Village. I currently found a nice property that is away from the majority of gated communities over there, a little more secluded on the muholland Freeway or drive.... i forgot which. Either way it's secluded which is what I prefer anyway.

My question is, any advice or tips for when I move there? I am quite young but I am married and plan to have kids soon. Is it good for kids like schools and such?

Any advice would be appreciated
      12-26-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
so0fresh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

whats wrong with chino hills? lol
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2017, 12:40 PM   #3
DrunkTyrion
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by so0fresh View Post
whats wrong with chino hills? lol
lol nothing. i moved to chino cause i originally lived in arcadia, but coming back from the military i realized the floods of massive "population growth" made me want to sell my house. lol mainly because i didnt want to be with bad drivers. i think i went through 1 set of CCBs when i lived there and it caused me to say fuck it.
      12-26-2017, 12:45 PM   #4
so0fresh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkTyrion View Post
lol nothing. i moved to chino cause i originally lived in arcadia, but coming back from the military i realized the floods of massive "population growth" made me want to sell my house. lol mainly because i didnt want to be with bad drivers. i think i went through 1 set of CCBs when i lived there and it caused me to say fuck it.
haha ok, but chino hills is a really nice area. I honestly would stay there lol you dont have to deal with that LA traffic.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #5
DrunkTyrion
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
haha ok, but chino hills is a really nice area. I honestly would stay there lol you dont have to deal with that LA traffic.
Yea I know. I REALLY like the wide roads, barely any cops around unless you call them. Decent drivers. Decent commute times. It's nice cause sometimes I have to go to court in Anaheim or work in Rosemead so the traffic isn't too bad especially with fast track, but I really want to get away from the east side. I just have a feeling that in a couple years or so the north side will jump in terms of real estate. And I kinda wanna to bring my kid up in a "white environment" sorry if I sound racist. I'm asian and growing up I realized that if you speak English without an accent even though you're Asian, people tend to treat you differently than they would. But that's just my opinion.
      12-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #6
so0fresh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yea I know. I REALLY like the wide roads, barely any cops around unless you call them. Decent drivers. Decent commute times. It's nice cause sometimes I have to go to court in Anaheim or work in Rosemead so the traffic isn't too bad especially with fast track, but I really want to get away from the east side. I just have a feeling that in a couple years or so the north side will jump in terms of real estate. And I kinda wanna to bring my kid up in a "white environment" sorry if I sound racist. I'm asian and growing up I realized that if you speak English without an accent even though you're Asian, people tend to treat you differently than they would. But that's just my opinion.
haha ah ok makes sense. Have you considered Cerritos? Its probably one of the better cities in LA county. I grew up and currently still live here. but its pretty pricey.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 02:19 PM   #7
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
And I kinda wanna to bring my kid up in a "white environment" sorry if I sound racist.
that doesn't sound racist at all..
Appreciate 3
      12-26-2017, 03:03 PM   #8
DrunkTyrion
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
haha ah ok makes sense. Have you considered Cerritos? Its probably one of the better cities in LA county. I grew up and currently still live here. but its pretty pricey.
I have but I'm just trying to get away from a crowded ish setting, hence chino hills and secluded parts of Calabasas
      12-26-2017, 03:04 PM   #9
DrunkTyrion
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Quote:
And I kinda wanna to bring my kid up in a "white environment" sorry if I sound racist.
that doesn't sound racist at all..
Haha sorry I tried my best to sound not too racist
      12-26-2017, 03:49 PM   #10
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I am currently considering to move to Calabasas and would like some advice. I have also been looking into surrounding areas such as hidden hills and Westlake Village. I currently found a nice property that is away from the majority of gated communities over there, a little more secluded on the muholland Freeway or drive.... i forgot which. Either way it's secluded which is what I prefer anyway.

My question is, any advice or tips for when I move there? I am quite young but I am married and plan to have kids soon. Is it good for kids like schools and such?

Any advice would be appreciated
PM me, I lived in Calabases, and I still live in Newbury Park. I grew up here as well, and I also did Real Estate for a bit
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2017, 09:36 PM   #11
DrunkTyrion
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Bump
      12-28-2017, 03:46 AM   #12
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Due to the recent fires I would avoid anything located in the hills.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2017, 04:31 AM   #13
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Being a Londoner i'm not sure i get you. Don't you want your kid to grow up in a multi cultural area where everyone critique each other & learn to get along?

I made some real lasting bonds from a kid. Now i get to experience authentic dinner parties, weddings from asian, indian, jamaican, somali, polish, french, german & white english!

Your kid is going to miss out
Appreciate 2
bimmette6453.50
      12-28-2017, 05:20 AM   #14
DrunkTyrion
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
Quote:
Being a Londoner i'm not sure i get you. Don't you want your kid to grow up in a multi cultural area where everyone critique each other & learn to get along?

I made some real lasting bonds from a kid. Now i get to experience authentic dinner parties, weddings from asian, indian, jamaican, somali, polish, french, german & white english!

Your kid is going to miss out
If you're from London then I'm sure you'll know about Harrow school. I went there. Yea I'm down to have my kid learn about rugby cricket and "football" but I also want him to grow up without any disadvantages later in life, an example would be being Asian American however speaking English with an accent here in the states, you get treated differently especially during business negotiations from what I've noticed.

Don't get me wrong I would've moved to Leeds in a heartbeat but the non stop bombing and attacks in Europe have halted my interest along with the uncertainty of brexit :/ just too many variables to consider and risks that can't be accounted for
      12-28-2017, 07:08 AM   #15
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Or it could be an opportunity to purchase below MSRP
      12-28-2017, 07:11 AM   #16
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Why live in California? There are a lot of options once you look at the other 49 states.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 11:29 AM   #17
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
And I kinda wanna to bring my kid up in a "white environment" sorry if I sound racist. I'm asian and growing up I realized that if you speak English without an accent even though you're Asian, people tend to treat you differently than they would. But that's just my opinion.
So growing up in Chino Hills, your asian kid will speak with an accent? If you want to live with white people go to South Orange County. Close to Anaheim and driving back from Rosemead isn't too bad as the traffic leaves Orange County to LA around 3-5pm.

Quote:
Cerritos has been predominantly Asian and Indian since the 80s. Cerritos is pretty nice though. Good central location with easy freeway access and decent food.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2017, 01:15 PM   #18
so0fresh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
So growing up in Chino Hills, your asian kid will speak with an accent? If you want to live with white people go to South Orange County. Close to Anaheim and driving back from Rosemead isn't too bad as the traffic leaves Orange County to LA around 3-5pm.

Cerritos has been predominantly Asian and Indian since the 80s. Cerritos is pretty nice though. Good central location with easy freeway access and decent food.
cerritos it the poormans's irvine lol. yeah good freeway access and amazing food now man everything is opening up in cerritos/artesia.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2017, 01:54 PM   #19
DrunkTyrion
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Or it could be an opportunity to purchase below MSRP
I really am curious. Does the fire affect the housing price? Especially since it's over lol
      12-28-2017, 01:59 PM   #20
DrunkTyrion
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Quote:
And I kinda wanna to bring my kid up in a "white environment" sorry if I sound racist. I'm asian and growing up I realized that if you speak English without an accent even though you're Asian, people tend to treat you differently than they would. But that's just my opinion.

Quote:
By the accent, I understand regardless of where ones kid might grow up so long as I do my job as his/her parent to teach them I can correct that accent or whatever but because I was lucky enough to attend private school with kids of ambassadors and wealthy business guys, i want to provide that opportunity to my child as well. From personal experience I can say if it wasn't because of the "young networking" opportunity I was afforded I won't be where I am today. Mid 20s living well above comfort level. I just want to give me kid a good environment in which gives them a better chance. Don't take it the wrong way, I'm trying not to sound like an elitist prick, but I just don't really know how to phrase it a little better lol
      12-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #21
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

I wouldn't recommend moving to Calabasas just so your kids can have a "white" accent. What the heck is a white accent anyway? AFAIK, accents aren't attached to skin color.

If this is all your after then hire a dialect coach for your kids, or send them to voice acting school, but remember that accents is not a measure for intelligence. It's more like Attitude > Aptitude > Intelligence > Experience > Education > everything else.

If your kids end up being scholastically challenged, then there is no accent in the world that will save them. Everyone has their own personal experiences, but I'm not sure how you came up with Asian Americans (or any other minority) being at a disadvantage due some sort of accent they may have developed growing up.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 02:36 PM   #22
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

He wants his kids to be more like

and less like

Appreciate 1