Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-04-2018, 08:20 PM   #23
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

I had an older Triumph Spitfire and the f***t*** as an Oregon gas station flooded my trunk with gas by filling the tank to the brim of the gas cap.

They finally let motorcyclists pump their own gas in 2002. Before that, I cringed when the grease monkeys would insist on filling the tank on my Ducati 916. I suspect they would have behaved differently if I was riding a Harley and had three patches on my back...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 08:28 PM   #24
Angry Ketchup
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 650i (F12)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daftasabrush View Post
Why the fuck would you want anyone to put fuel in your car other than yourself!? You can't control the grade, the insertion (scratches), the removal (scratches), the dragging of the hose (scratches) and the dipping of fuel down your car.

I would personally HATE it if anyone else put fuel in my cars other than myself.
Agree. I would go out of my way to avoid such. I tend to fill up on V-Power at Shell stations here in the UK. Many seem to be employing "attendants" now. I always politely decline. I'm the type to try to catch drips with my hand rather than let gas/petrol fall on the paint.

Back in the day, when I lived in The States, I was always baffled by the NJ type laws regarding "self-fueling" and folks who seemed baffled by the concept. I grew up around heavy equipment, trucks, and farming... As a little boy, I was thrilled when I got a chance to drive something/anything to the family fuel tanks behind the barn and "filler 'er up!"

Then later, as driving teenager, being 'gifted' some gas was a welcome reward for chores and labor! Given that gas was $0.80/gallon(US) then...
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2018, 10:39 PM   #25
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightAero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daftasabrush View Post
Why the fuck would you want anyone to put fuel in your car other than yourself!? You can't control the grade, the insertion (scratches), the removal (scratches), the dragging of the hose (scratches) and the dipping of fuel down your car.

I would personally HATE it if anyone else put fuel in my cars other than myself.
Agree. I would go out of my way to avoid such. I tend to fill up on V-Power at Shell stations here in the UK. Many seem to be employing "attendants" now. I always politely decline. I'm the type to try to catch drips with my hand rather than let gas/petrol fall on the paint.

Back in the day, when I lived in The States, I was always baffled by the NJ type laws regarding "self-fueling" and folks who seemed baffled by the concept. I grew up around heavy equipment, trucks, and farming... As a little boy, I was thrilled when I got a chance to drive something/anything to the family fuel tanks behind the barn and "filler 'er up!"

Then later, as driving teenager, being 'gifted' some gas was a welcome reward for chores and labor! Given that gas was $0.80/gallon(US) then...
#whippersnapper
      01-05-2018, 06:53 AM   #26
Bups
Masterdebater
Rep
Drives: Toyoda Camray

Drove to NJ to visit a friend in HS. Started pumping own gas, attendant came out yelling at me yada yada yada, so I said "Me no speaka a English", so naturally as I continued he yelled more and called the cops. Cop shows up, said I was from MI and didn't know at the time NJ was all full service. Think the guy got more pissed when I started explaining the situation to the cop in English.

That was the first and last time I've been to NJ.
“How are Mr. Trump’s hands?” My hands are fine. You know, my hands are normal. Slightly large, actually. In fact, I buy a slightly smaller than large glove, okay? No, but I did this because everybody was saying to me, “Oh, your hands are very nice. They are normal.”
- Donald J. Trump.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 07:04 AM   #27
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Next up...ass-wiping. "Godammit, I gotta wipe my own ass--I don't like the smell" Lazy fuks.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 07:08 AM   #28
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I thought this was funny until people started talking about cops wasting their time on it - especially to 'enforce' a law on somebody who is just pumping their own gas (midnight emergency fill-ups are part of the gig). Seems like there could be better uses for their time - hell, it just seems disrespectful to them to even drag them into this, even if they hadn't had a real call in an hour.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 11:23 AM   #29
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
They have a button next to the pump for "full service" if you are handicapped at some of the stations around me, but that is about it. I would not like someone else pumping my gas and laughed pretty hard at some of the people's comments.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #30
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

only one gas station around here that does full service and they usually have the cheapest gas and I have a rewards card so i go there when i can. i used to pump gas when i was in college so i usually tip them when i do full serve
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 01:07 PM   #31
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

Driving through OR for the first time in '96, I stop just inside the southern border for gas. Guy comes yelling at me - "Get back in your car! You aren't qualified to pump gas!" I'd only been doing it for 10 years...

2 years ago, stopped in Roseburg when it was about 95 degrees out (blistering hot for Oregon.) Attendant didn't even attempt to get out of his little air conditioned box. So I pumped my own, and went on my way. I'm chalking it up to he saw the CA plates and figured I could handle it...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 03:01 PM   #32
DrunkTyrion
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
i dont know about anyone else here, but honestly since i paid nearly 5k for a clear bra wrap and ceramic coating... i would probably kill the guy who just drips gasoline on it. like someone else had said on here, i would rather catch it with my hand than to let it drip onto the car, especially if they really half a** it and scratches your car.
      01-05-2018, 03:47 PM   #33
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkTyrion View Post
i dont know about anyone else here, but honestly since i paid nearly 5k for a clear bra wrap and ceramic coating... i would probably kill the guy who just drips gasoline on it. like someone else had said on here, i would rather catch it with my hand than to let it drip onto the car, especially if they really half a** it and scratches your car.
If you have a full wrap, just hose down the whole car with gas. Kinda the point, isn't it?
Appreciate 0