BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

07-07-2022, 08:45 PM   #23
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post
The way I read the recall data sheets is the issue is from the module programming from the supplier and they are having difficulty reprogramming the modules. Maybe the fix was to get new modules as the reprogramming does not work. My car does not have a stop sale and maybe that's why it sat for so long in quality control. Hard to tell until we know more.
My car sat for weeks in Quality Check as well. It finally made it to port on 7/3. I confirmed with my CA today that it has 2 stop sales for the current recalls.
Appreciate 2
TechCTU782.00
Paladin15581.50
      07-08-2022, 08:20 AM   #24
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Imagine, if you will, right now that every new incoming X5M – for comparable cost if not volume - is languishing at a port somewhere across an entire continent, un-sellable. Some even at dealerships – viewable, but not able to be sold. And are in that status because of a software fault in a half-dozen modules – that BMW has been aware of since April. Maybe in a headlight module, maybe in a brake module, maybe in an engine-mapping module. BMW is not specific. And imagine that prospective buyers have waited not weeks, but months for these cars. With no date certain for release, or any communication to dealers or buyers of even a projected date. Or any specifics on what is being done to correct it. Silence. Perhaps Hans Zimmer is sanctifying a new note to poot out of the radio on startup. Perhaps Swarovski is manufacturing a new bangle to stick on the end of the wiper stalk. BMW seems to think those are essential elements in their marketing, vice producing an operational vehicle. Or maybe even qualified engineers are developing competent software to correct the problem. We just don’t know. But we can surmise with each passing day of no communication, that consumers may be losing confidence in a company once known for its supreme ability to produce a driver’s car, the Ultimate Driving Machine. And rethinking their decision to support a company that looks daily more like the Keystone Cops than a competent automobile manufacturer, that can’t seem to produce a machine, at least one you can really buy, much less an ultimate one. Perhaps, if these really were Ms, BMW would actually want to address that consideration. Timely. Presumably maybe still wanting to keep a reputation earned over decades, and still sell cars ‘n stuff. While they can.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 08:40 AM   #25
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
I get that people are upset, and rightly so. I'll just say that stop sales are not uncommon, and add that the Polestar 2 rollout was waaaay worse.

From my perspective the stop sale has only been in place for a day or two. People had scheduled appointments to pick up their cars that were just put on hold yesterday.

Polestar had the advantage of doing direct sales, and thus the ability to issue a centralized message to every waiting customer. They didn't. Instead we all spent months being pushed back, and there was literally just one phone support person that we all knew by name. This despite having the advantages of being backed by Volvo and its parent company. Nobody knew anything other than that the cars were sitting on the dock in California for months. Eventually I bailed.

Perhaps what makes this stand out is that customers have already experienced delays in shipping due to port slowdowns, and manufacturing delays due to parts shortages, and other recalls prior that didn't stop sale. This is just adding insult to injury.

It's easy for me to say since my car is still on a boat, but I'm willing to give them a few days to reveal what's going on with the stop sale and set expectations on resolution.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15581.50
      07-08-2022, 09:06 AM   #26
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
I get that people are upset, and rightly so. I'll just say that stop sales are not uncommon, and add that the Polestar 2 rollout was waaaay worse.

From my perspective the stop sale has only been in place for a day or two. People had scheduled appointments to pick up their cars that were just put on hold yesterday.

Polestar had the advantage of doing direct sales, and thus the ability to issue a centralized message to every waiting customer. They didn't. Instead we all spent months being pushed back, and there was literally just one phone support person that we all knew by name. This despite having the advantages of being backed by Volvo and it's parent company. Nobody knew anything other than that the cars were sitting on the dock in California for months. Eventually I bailed.

Perhaps what makes this stand out is that customers have already experienced delays in shipping due to port slowdowns, and manufacturing delays due to parts shortages, and other recalls prior that didn't stop sale. This is just adding insult to injury.

It's easy for me to say since my car is still on a boat, but I'm willing to give them a few days to reveal what's going on with the stop sale and set expectations on resolution.
Understood that stop sales are common (not that common, but they happen). But comparing Polestar to BMW is like comparing Luke Skywalker's house to the Empire in Star Wars. And BMW is a vast empire. And what's also uncommon is having 3 recalls on car models literally as they leave the factory floor. All of them, apparently. And at least one fault known for months, while cars are still being produced, still uncorrected. At least, we think, because BMW isn't saying. And not just customers, but dealers are in the dark. This 1) does not inspire confidence in BMW to fix a problem once it occurs, and 2) in a car that runs essentially on software. BMW wants to quickly correct both of those perceptions, if indeed they are misplaced - which we don't yet know. So I understand the frustration, including mine. Hopefully a resolution is forthcoming. Soon, although the timeline reported by some from their dealer is months. In which case, expect your car when it does arrive to be garaged at the port until October. At least.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 09:12 AM   #27
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Quote:

Polestar had the advantage of doing direct sales, and thus the ability to issue a centralized message to every waiting customer. They didn't. Instead we all spent months being pushed back, and there was literally just one phone support person that we all knew by name. This despite having the advantages of being backed by Volvo and it's parent company. Nobody knew anything other than that the cars were sitting on the dock in California for months. Eventually I bailed.

Understood that stop sales are common (not that common, but they happen). But comparing Polestar to BMW is like comparing Luke Skywalker's house to the Empire in Star Wars. And BMW is a vast empire. And what's also uncommon is having 3 recalls on car models literally as they leave the factory floor. All of them, apparently. And at least one fault known for months, while cars are still being produced, still uncorrected. At least, we think, because BMW isn't saying. And not just customers, but dealers are in the dark. This 1) does not inspire confidence in BMW to fix a problem once it occurs, and 2) in a car that runs essentially on software. BMW wants to quickly correct both of those perceptions, if indeed they are misplaced - which we don't yet know. So I understand the frustration, including mine. Hopefully a resolution is forthcoming. Soon, although the timeline reported by some from their dealer is months. In which case, expect your car when it does arrive to be garaged at the port until October. At least.
I just make the Polestar comparison because 1) it wasn't just one model representing a sliver of sales, it was their entire product, 2) they were backed by a giant, well funded car conglomerate that knows how to deliver, and 3) customers weren't left to whatever customer competency each dealership had. Everything was stacked in their favor, and they still screwed up the messaging.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15581.50
      07-08-2022, 09:17 AM   #28
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I just make the Polestar comparison because 1) it wasn't just one model representing a sliver of sales, it was their entire product, 2) they were backed by a giant, well funded car conglomerate that knows how to deliver, and 3) customers weren't left to whatever customer competency each dealership had. Everything was stacked in their favor, and they still screwed up the messaging.
Roger that.. Standing by for your opinion in September....
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 09:17 AM   #29
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
I'm not sure if dealers are being left in the dark. It's possible.

This seems like a very recent turn of events, and my dealer at least seemed confident it was a software issue. Maybe this has been lingering for months and cars have been purposely sold until someone just decided to stop everything. Maybe it's a new development and they notified dealers the same day, while they're working on a fix.

I think it's possible people are conflating one issue in April with a new (but perhaps related) development that is literally unfolding just in the last 48 hours.

I'm willing to give it a few days to see how it shakes out before getting too worked up. I understand others might be feeling more burned after other delays.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 09:19 AM   #30
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Quote:
Roger that.. Standing by for your opinion in September....
Coincidentally September was the month I was supposed to get my P2. Sort of ominous post there!
Appreciate 1
Paladin15581.50
      07-08-2022, 09:21 AM   #31
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Coincidentally September was the month I was supposed to get my P2. Sort of ominous post there!
Here's hoping we're all surprised, in a good way.... Date on my stop sale, as a point of reference (for all 3 modules of which I'm aware) was 14 June on the Vehicle Inquiry, although it could have been earlier. And according to my most recent inquiry with BMW CS at the VDC, resolution date unknown. Although hope springs eternal....

Last edited by Paladin1; 07-08-2022 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 09:28 AM   #32
venom21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50 Tesla MYP Prev: 530e

My SA just said the software will be ready on July 28th for reprogramming. Long wait ahead….
Appreciate 1
Paladin15581.50
      07-08-2022, 09:36 AM   #33
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilld View Post
My car arrived at the port in CA on Jun 30th, and has been sitting there since. Today I get an email from my dealer about the stop sale, guess that explains the lack of movement. I am chomping at the bit to get the car, but the gods have other ideas. Hopefully if this is simply software, they can get this resolved in the next few weeks, would hate to think how long it would take if parts are needed.
Same here!!!
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 11:12 AM   #34
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
And, my i4 was supposed to be completed in March.it's been bumped to a '23 and hasn't started production yet
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 11:43 AM   #35
saidy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom21 View Post
My SA just said the software will be ready on July 28th for reprogramming. Long wait ahead….
Sigh. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 12:01 PM   #36
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by saidy View Post
Sigh. Thanks for sharing.
hopefully thats true, and BMW continues to ship vehicles out of germany to destination ports in the interim as to not further delay the process.

One can only hope
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 12:03 PM   #37
bagbklyn
Private
Rep
Drives: Future i4 M50

i4 Stop Sale too

I am also a victim of the Stop Sale and was supposed to do a PCD in 2 weeks but how does the saying go again? "When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade".

I had a whole plan in place to take delivery and go for a nice 10 day vacation into the Smoky Mountains and Asheville, NC.

I had 3 options, and took the next best thing as I have money laid out for an AirBnB with family that has also been planning to spend some quality time.

Just booked a 2022 FSD Tesla Model X on Turo for the trip and will see what Elon is up to...

Sticking with BMW, these guys know Quality. Elon probably would've just let 'er rip, which does show in his build quality, but he is years ahead of the pack. I could've gone either way as software is taking over the world at any rate!!! You just have to pick your poison. Wait until AI seriously comes into play.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 01:13 PM   #38
venom21
Private First Class
Rep

[IMG]https://www.********.com/cdn-cgi/image/format=auto,onerror=redirect,width=1920,height=192 0,fit=scale-down/https://www.********.com/attachments/973d13c6-4533-4d62-9974-b7c25b0a2e92-jpeg.2034/[/IMG]

Here is what my SA sent
Appreciate 2
Paladin15581.50
      07-08-2022, 01:33 PM   #39
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
The only way you could be any more lucky with your iX is if this all gets delayed and you end up taking delivery in September so that you get the pleasure of paying the luxury tax on it on top of it all.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 01:51 PM   #40
venom21
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
The only way you could be any more lucky with your iX is if this all gets delayed and you end up taking delivery in September so that you get the pleasure of paying the luxury tax on it on top of it all.
Car was built in March…MARCH. It was sitting in the delivery centre all ready to go, had my PPF appointment booked for a same day drop off, insurance was ready, bank draft in hand. UGH. At least the dealer is giving me a courtesy loaner till it’s ready and they will do the PPF themselves at a good discount.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 02:12 PM   #41
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2025 BMW

How does this deployment compare with MB EQS and Porsche Tycan?

Searching the MB boards I didn't see anything like this.

If this seems to be a BMW thing of the future, The EQS SUV looks nice to me.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15581.50
      07-08-2022, 02:35 PM   #42
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
[IMG]https://www.********.com/cdn-cgi/image/format=auto,onerror=redirect,width=1920,height=192 0,fit=scale-down/https://www.********.com/attachments/973d13c6-4533-4d62-9974-b7c25b0a2e92-jpeg.2034/[/IMG]

Here is what my SA sent
And I think I counted 4 different codes in there (023929, 123500, 123825, and 123929). Since leaving the factory.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 02:46 PM   #43
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post
How does this deployment compare with MB EQS and Porsche Tycan?

Searching the MB boards I didn't see anything like this.

If this seems to be a BMW thing of the future, The EQS SUV looks nice to me.
But you DID get all the deletes - hands-free tailgate, B&W, and passenger lumbar support - added to the build as it progressed, in addition to the multiple stop codes. Which is nice.... "Quality" appears to have escaped BMW's recent lexicon, at least as far as the product delivery experience. Here's hoping the ownership experience doesn't match, but a few more straws on the camel will cinch it for me too....
Appreciate 1
TechCTU782.00
      07-08-2022, 02:48 PM   #44
saidy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW iX

MB will have bugs too. It’s inevitable. Nothing is perfect.

For me the main issue is communication. It seems everybody from customers, sales and service is confused right now.

It’d make the world of difference to hear how the bug was discovered, some insight into timelines and finally assurance of how we’re not going to get a third or fourth defect in the same unit.

Confidence doesn’t come from perfection, it comes from how mistakes are handled and prevented going forward.
Appreciate 3
TechCTU782.00
Paladin15581.50
slampert162.00