BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

07-20-2020, 06:46 AM   #1
dfer
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Roadster

Mode 3 type 2 charging cable

Hi,

Newbie here, but I’ve searched for hours in the forum without finding the answer to this. I’m sure such an obvious question must have been asked before, so please feel free to flame me, but great if you could forward me the thread first :-)

I bought the car a few weeks ago, and have been charging at home but now a roadtrip is planned, and I’d like to try charging the thing during my journey and have no previous experience from charging. So I need a Mode 3 type 2 charging cable but there are several variants to choose between. All of them would presumably work, but I’d prefer to go for the lightest one that fills maybe 80% of my needs.

I should of course explain first that this is for Europe, and that it’s a 2019 model Roadster. The questions:

1- 16A or 32A?
2- 1 phase or 3?
3- 5m or 10m? Obviously this will depend on the charging station and how I park, etc. but in your experience, how often is a 5m cable not long enough?
4- Any other considerations?

Thanks for reading, and for any helpful responses :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 12:35 PM   #2
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

You need a Type2 Cable, 16 A is sufficient. Type2 should come with 3 phases, you only need one. As long as possible.

To be honest, typically the charger that comes with the car will serve you well, it takes two times the time but PHEVs typically are destination chargers. Over-night it doesn't matter if you use 2 or 3,7kw and a normal outlet is easy to find. You can take a regular outdoor extension cable for example in addition.

I do have a 8m Type2 32A 3phase cable in the trunk, used only 2 times or so...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 06:45 AM   #3
dfer
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Roadster

Thanks for your reply! So 1-phase, 16A, 7,5m is what I’ll get.

This site was also very helpful: https://ev-database.uk/car/1157/BMW-i8-Coupe

I’m sure you’re right - that with experience I probably won’t actually use it, but the idea is to charge for 30 minutes or so while having a break every 2-3 hours on longer trips.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 10:40 AM   #4
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Great that you think like that, too many people don't and neglect PHEV charging.
Appreciate 0