BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

07-01-2016, 05:13 AM   #1
vmatheboss
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: nissan gt-r / bmw i8

removing outside mirrors

has anyone here removed their side view mirrors on their doors before? do you need to remove the entire door panel to do that? reason im asking is because the car is getting wrapped and i seen some people remove the mirrors, but i wanted to know how to take it off. thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 02:03 PM   #2
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmatheboss View Post
has anyone here removed their side view mirrors on their doors before? do you need to remove the entire door panel to do that? reason im asking is because the car is getting wrapped and i seen some people remove the mirrors, but i wanted to know how to take it off. thanks.
I know this is not a productive comment, but that's why I'm not a fan of wrapping. They have to take so much stuff off, and more stuff to get to the stuff, ... Knowing that so much is fastened with flimsy plastic clips these days, I'm worried.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 11:49 PM   #3
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight
Quote:
I know this is not a productive comment, but that's why I'm not a fan of wrapping. They have to take so much stuff off, and more stuff to get to the stuff, ... Knowing that so much is fastened with flimsy plastic clips these days, I'm worried.
Yeh I know what you mean. You really gotta go to the right shop where the workers know what they are doing. Preferably one that has wrapped a few cars before that are the same model as yours.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 04:25 AM   #4
vmatheboss
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: nissan gt-r / bmw i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
yea thats why im trying to figure stuff out on my own, im a diy guy with a lot of my previous cars. so unbolting a door panel shouldnt be too hard to get to the mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf View Post
Yeh I know what you mean. You really gotta go to the right shop where the workers know what they are doing. Preferably one that has wrapped a few cars before that are the same model as yours.
yea, unfortunately mine will be the first i8 hes wrapped...they gotta start somewhere. so im trying to see if the door panels come off easily if theyre only clipped in there with no bolts... i guess ill have to do some prying around
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 09:54 AM   #5
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
yea thats why im trying to figure stuff out on my own, im a diy guy with a lot of my previous cars. so unbolting a door panel shouldnt be too hard to get to the mirrors

yea, unfortunately mine will be the first i8 hes wrapped...they gotta start somewhere. so im trying to see if the door panels come off easily if theyre only clipped in there with no bolts... i guess ill have to do some prying around
From my own experience, by the time you've pried around and figured out how the clips work, half of them have broken. Do you have a trusted BMW service person who you might ask for some guidance, unofficially?
Appreciate 0