BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #1
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Subaru of America Sets Eleventh Consecutive Annual Sales Record

Old news, but I didn't see it posted here.

3% increase in 2019 in a market where most automakers were flat or lower than 2018. It's an indication of which companies are bringing products to market that consumers want and are willing to pay for.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300980958.html
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 12:29 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Old news, but I didn't see it posted here.

3% increase in 2019 in a market where most automakers were flat or lower than 2018. It's an indication of which companies are bringing products to market that consumers want and are willing to pay for.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300980958.html
I suppose. Also highlights the consumer exodus of sporty cars. The BRZ and WRX are losing volume and three row SUVs are up. I used to be interested in a few Subaru's but now don't see any I'd even cross shop.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 05:38 PM   #3
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

Yep, they got really big on this consumer awd craze. Meanwhile their sporty cars like wrx have grown very stale. I can't help but laugh at their special edition stis with whopping extra 20 hps and some bling parts.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 06:33 PM   #4
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

I still like their vehicle lineup but it's the CVT that will prevent me from ever considering one.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI688.50
      02-09-2020, 07:08 PM   #5
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Our Outback has been a family workhorse but like most Subarus it burns oil. They make decent no-frills utility vehicles but they simply can't make a reliable engine. Going all CTV has given them a regretful Nissan stink to add to their engine reliability issues. Throw in all the recalls and there's just not compelling reasons to pick these cars over a Honda, Toyota, or even Hyundai.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 09:18 PM   #6
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I hate on them a little much but at the end of the day they give consumers what they want. They are reasonably priced, reliable, and have standard AWD. They are basically the ultimate appliance but that's OK for the majority of people who view cars as a means of point A to B.

Now as for my personal bias: I don't believe they've ever produced an attractive car, their interiors are somewhat mediocre relative to competitors, and the types of people who buy them are just not interested in driving at a reasonable speed.

Last edited by Germanauto; 02-09-2020 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 11:08 AM   #7
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

I bet their numbers will be huge once they finally update that 15 year old STI engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 11:55 AM   #8
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
My wife’s uncle had a pristine Forester that I thought was relatively sporty, well thought out and reliable. That was one or two model cycles ago.

They have a following and it appears to be growing.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 12:57 PM   #9
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
It's nice to see a company plug into what sells. But you have to wonder, how long will this continue? Their current vehicles seem to really be going against the trend of fuel efficiency. They have, what, one hybrid offering? I'm sure they'll continue to do well for the next 3-4 years, but they don't seem well positioned for the inevitable seed change in personal transportation.

I think Subaru makes an amazingly adequate vehicle for 85% of the population. Their newer options are getting nicer and have a more substantial feel. About a month ago, I sat in a new STI. This is a car I've always liked, but never felt compelled to own. Sitting in it, I realized that I could never really consider one of these seriously. It just felt so chintsy. If you like that 90's Asian economy car feel, then this is probably a perfect car for you. It just felt old and yet, the price is certainly modern. No thanks Subaru.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 02:49 PM   #10
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

As one of the smallest automakers out there, it's good to see Subaru performing well. With that said, they are in dire need of powertrain and styling assistance. Their cars are about as bland as you can get right now. They can do an alright turbo 4 (now, not in the past!), but they're getting left in the dust sticking with the CVTs. They're crap, especially the non-heavy duty CVT used in the non-turbo/H6 models. They kill performance and aren't more fuel efficient than most any 8+ speed planetary automatic on the market right now.

My wife has had a 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2008 Outback, and currently a 2015 Outback 3.6R and I had a 2012 WRX. They've all been reliable cars and are crazy easy to work on. Though I was always worried my WRX would spin a rod bearing (super common issue). I recently butched up 3.6R with with some Method offroad wheels and AT tires. The car looks so much better now. The CVT in the 3.6R is decent, but I can't help but think how much quicker it would be with the ZF 8 speed.

If I were shopping for a midsize SUV now, we wouldn't consider a Subaru. We'd be at Mazda.

Subaru's green and animal-loving marketing is super effective and largely why they continue to succeed.
      02-12-2020, 03:10 PM   #11
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
As one of the smallest automakers out there, it's good to see Subaru performing well. With that said, they are in dire need of powertrain and styling assistance. Their cars are about as bland as you can get right now. They can do an alright turbo 4 (now, not in the past!), but they're getting left in the dust sticking with the CVTs. They're crap, especially the non-heavy duty CVT used in the non-turbo/H6 models. They kill performance and aren't more fuel efficient than most any 8+ speed planetary automatic on the market right now.

My wife has had a 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2008 Outback, and currently a 2015 Outback 3.6R and I had a 2012 WRX. They've all been reliable cars and are crazy easy to work on. Though I was always worried my WRX would spin a rod bearing (super common issue). I recently butched up 3.6R with with some Method offroad wheels and AT tires. The car looks so much better now. The CVT in the 3.6R is decent, but I can't help but think how much quicker it would be with the ZF 8 speed.

If I were shopping for a midsize SUV now, we wouldn't consider a Subaru. We'd be at Mazda.

Subaru's green and animal-loving marketing is super effective and largely why they continue to succeed.
Cannot beat the CX-5 for the money.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 03:21 PM   #12
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
I still like their vehicle lineup but it's the CVT that will prevent me from ever considering one.
I have a slightly more nuanced view of CVTs. I have no problem with a CVT on an econobox. Put it on a Nissan versa, a Toyota Corolla, a Sentra, etc. So I have no problem with it being on an Impreza, for example. But it should not be on a BRZ or an STI.

Same thing with Nissan. As noted above, go ahead and put it on the Versa or the Sentra. But don't advertise the Maxima as a four door sports car and then put a CVT on it! Give me a break.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2020, 03:36 PM   #13
theEZV
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i; Looking for F80

We have a Crosstrek with the CVT. It's fine. I've driven a few WRXs with it as well and it's really not bad once you put it in Sport Sharp. If a hatch was available I would seriously consider it (I had a 2013 WRX hatch previously). Sadly no more manuals for me due to knee issues. I hope when the FA24 powered Sti finally drops it will have a proper auto available like a ZF.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 05:22 PM   #14
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
My son’s high school vehicle was a Nissan Murano with a CVT. That vehicle was surprisingly reliable. A bit on the ugly side, but reliable.

My daughter drives a 2018 Honda CR-V with the 1.5L and CVT. It gets the job done. Too early to judge reliability on that car, but I expect good things from Honda in the reliability department.

I agree subjectively that a CVT is not the right solution for a sporty vehicle. I haven’t seen data to support my subjective view.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 06:35 PM   #15
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

The first BRZ I got had to be lemoned because it would not turn on. The comfort access start button wouldn't turn the motor. Subaru denied the claim and the car sat for its full lease period (had to lease another car in place so ended up with 2 payments). Subaru denied the claim until months after the lease was over. Worst company to deal with, they do not care about their customers.

I ended up buying a used 2017 BRZ after that first one with hopes of it actually working fine and so far only 4 visits to the dealership for 2 engine out services. But at least it turns on. Would not recommend to anybody.

I also had a 2009 Outback that was bought new and only driven 15k miles in 10 years, the transmission went bad on it at 11k miles but out of warranty due to age and Subaru did nothing to help.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 06:52 PM   #16
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeA View Post
The first BRZ I got had to be lemoned because it would not turn on. The comfort access start button wouldn't turn the motor. Subaru denied the claim and the car sat for its full lease period (had to lease another car in place so ended up with 2 payments). Subaru denied the claim until months after the lease was over. Worst company to deal with, they do not care about their customers.

I ended up buying a used 2017 BRZ after that first one with hopes of it actually working fine and so far only 4 visits to the dealership for 2 engine out services. But at least it turns on. Would not recommend to anybody.

I also had a 2009 Outback that was bought new and only driven 15k miles in 10 years, the transmission went bad on it at 11k miles but out of warranty due to age and Subaru did nothing to help.
I bought a BRZ when they came out new in 2012. Owned it for 3 years without a single issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 07:01 PM   #17
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

I never understood the hype behind Subaru for the past couple of years, other than the AWD which is becoming more common on sedans, and is available on pretty much any SUV which are now selling more than sedans, I would rather look at a Mazda, Toyota or Honda if I were shopping in the mainstream market.

Like others have said, CVT is a deal-killer, and while some get lucky, I know of too many cases where a CVT goes out before 100k miles.
      02-12-2020, 09:36 PM   #18
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

I had a few Subarus in the past. I still remember fondly of my gc8 derived 2.5rs coupe. It was before North America woke up to how big wrx and Evo were let alone the WRC. Bought that thanks to Gran Turismo in PS2. There was also COBB Stage II Saabaru. That was also fun.
Never really had any issues with them. I autocrossed and winter rallied. Even sat in a 22b while visiting Asia.
Once Subaru left WRC.... That whole mystique faded despite how hard this brand tries to cling on that heritage. Today I don't find any of their cars interesting. The BRZ while harkens back to lightweight red sports cars, it was uncultured next to my ago RX8 under complex handling situations. The engine while decent for piston engine it felt barbaric next to the rotary. But I see their appeal.

I'm a strong supporter of small automakers. Therefore I'll always smile whenever I see that Six Star emblem. In the world of oversized grilles and aspirin shaped cars, that obnoxious old school hood scoop is a refreshing sight.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 10:34 PM   #19
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
I bought a BRZ when they came out new in 2012. Owned it for 3 years without a single issue.
Guess I got unlucky.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 07:48 AM   #20
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I have a slightly more nuanced view of CVTs. I have no problem with a CVT on an econobox. Put it on a Nissan versa, a Toyota Corolla, a Sentra, etc. So I have no problem with it being on an Impreza, for example. But it should not be on a BRZ or an STI.
That's why they aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeA View Post

That's astonishingly bad. I bought a new '15 BRZ back in Oct '14, within 300 miles on it, it had an E85 tune, Ground Control coilovers, and wide RPF1s. Never gave me a problem until I traded it in on the 135i with 35k miles.

Although I am still curious about the new STi coming out this year and if they've upped the performance, and helped out with the interior.

I went and sat in an '18 STi w/Recaros.........looking at the dash/ICE made me feel like an early 2000s Protege or something. Not what I would drop $40k on.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 01:11 PM   #21
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Subaru's appeal goes far, far, far beyond the safety-focused tree-hugger archetype that someone mentioned earlier. The rally- and tuner-based subgenre that (still) maintains the WRX/STi market is a tiny fraction of Subaru's niche.

Spend any time in a hilly and/or mountainous part of the U.S. or Canada, and that'll reveal its true market: capable, reliable, functional, utilitarian, easily maintain-able year-round transportation. 'Soccer moms' in Colorado, Oregon, Washington state, upstate New York, Vermont/NH, Maine, and the like don't drive Mazdas -- or BMWs, for that matter. They drive Subarus.
Appreciate 2
chassis6373.50
Clark_Kent2208.00
      02-19-2020, 01:55 PM   #22
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

Yes, these capabilities are used to the limit when these cars are driven to the grocery stores or to schools. Truth is, a lot of these capabilities are never used and probably don’t exist anymore. What I don’t like about Subaru is what they sold this notion to masses that awd=safety. You get a lot of morons driving these vehicles thinking they are invincible, and I’m not talking about wrx or the sti. Honestly, I kind of feel good when I hear about recent manufacturing defects Subaru had. They grew and made a lot of money by misinforming consumers and using their relative ignorance of safe driving practices.
Appreciate 0