04-14-2020, 04:03 PM   #837
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Honesty helped, plus the fact that taking you into custody, making the two passengers walk home, plus towing your car and the ensuing paper proved more than he wanted to deal with at the time. Lol!
I think you are exactly right about that. Lol! I haven’t done anything that stupid since.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24973.00
      04-14-2020, 04:04 PM   #838
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:
Not at all! The media pisses me off.

What has increased are calls to residences because parents/grandparents are upset that their 16-25 year of children/grandchildren decide to go hang out with their friends rather than stay isolated at home (...essentially civil/family issues). We get COVID calls all of the time.

Domestic violence calls happen about as much as they did prior to COVID.

I have never in my professional life witnessed a suppression of crime like I'm seeing now. Generally speaking, crime spikes when you have situations that greatly affect people's lives (...political changes, public dissent, supply shortages, etc.). This COVID has people scared, so they largely stay indoors ON THEIR OWN; people quarantined long before the government began suggesting or mandating it. Even during the, "Toilet Paper and Water Wars," there weren't any fights; there were no riots. Nothing! People were respectful of each despite being panicked.

These moments are, by far, the easiest moments I've ever had on the streets.
I'm wondering how long before people lose their shit and start misbehaving.
I've been asking myself that same question, but the hoarding of supplies from the stores has died down. People seem to be less hysterical when it comes to the supply issue. I think crime will stay suppressed. The large majority of people aren't criminals.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615139.00
      04-14-2020, 04:09 PM   #839
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
I've been asking myself that same question, but the hoarding of supplies from the stores has died down. People seem to be less hysterical when it comes to the supply issue. I think crime will stay suppressed.
Fingers crossed. Our middle child (29 years old) is in the Air Force, he was on course when this quarantine stuff started so they sent him home, which means he's here with us.....he went up to the little grocery store at the end of our street earlier today and some woman went off on him in the parking lot because he wasn't wearing a mask.....some folks are starting to feel the pressure I think, and it might take a while but like anything else the pressure will have to be let off at some point.

We were in the same grocery store and there are some shortages, a bit frustrating because people are hoarding frozen food, meat and eggs. I sense that folks are getting a bit testy about it....me, I'm chill but some folks don't perform well under pressure.....but you know that.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8208.00
      04-14-2020, 04:23 PM   #840
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Fingers crossed. Our middle child (29 years old) is in the Air Force, he was on course when this quarantine stuff started so they sent him home, which means he's here with us.....he went up to the little grocery store at the end of our street earlier today and some woman went off on him in the parking lot because he wasn't wearing a mask.....some folks are starting to feel the pressure I think, and it might take a while but like anything else the pressure will have to be let off at some point.

We were in the same grocery store and there are some shortages, a bit frustrating because people are hoarding frozen food, meat and eggs. I sense that folks are getting a bit testy about it....me, I'm chill but some folks don't perform well under pressure.....but you know that.
That sucks. Thank him for his service even if it isn't on our side of the border.

I have yet to have anyone say anything to me about not wearing a mask as I keep my distance. But if they do, it would be in their best interest to keep their distance.

I'm about sick of people thinking they are experts because they read Facebook last night.....since they couldn't stay in a Holiday Inn.

Last edited by Rmtt; 04-14-2020 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24973.00
vreihen1615139.00
      04-14-2020, 04:44 PM   #841
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Quote:

That sucks. Think him for his service even if it isn't on our side of the border.

I have yet to have anyone say anything to me about not wearing a mask as I keep my distance. But if they do, it would be in their best interest to keep their distance.

I'm about sick of people thinking they are experts because they read Facebook last night.....since they couldn't stay in a Holiday Inn.
I agree. I keep N95 masks with me due to work, but the large percentage of people walking around with masks on are wearing masks that offer no protection from fine particles from sneezes or coughs (...mostly homemade masks made from cotton or a similar fabric or masks that are not medical grade). Essentially their masks are just for appearances. I'm waiting for someone to say something to me about not wearing a mask so I can burst their bubble(s). Nobody has said anything to me yet.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8208.00
Murf99314114.00
      04-14-2020, 04:46 PM   #842
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
That sucks. Think him for his service even if it isn't on our side of the border.

I'll thank him when he comes up for air....his boss told them all to go home and lock down with PS4.....I told him to ask if that was an order and if they would be issuing him a PS4 if he didn't have one....but that's just my way of dealing with authority, hence my meteoric rise through the ranks. I have to admit, I've had some looks, and I said to some lady at the post office today we all need to just stay calm and not lose our minds.....
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8208.00
Sedan_Clan24973.00
      04-14-2020, 07:25 PM   #843
bimmer pleaser V2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C43

Quote:
I agree. I keep N95 masks with me due to work, but the large percentage of people walking around with masks on are wearing masks that offer no protection from fine particles from sneezes or coughs (...mostly homemade masks made from cotton or a similar fabric or masks that are not medical grade). Essentially their masks are just for appearances. I'm waiting for someone to say something to me about not wearing a mask so I can burst their bubble(s). Nobody has said anything to me yet.
I may be wrong but I believe N95 masks offer 2 way protection while other masks only limit the wearers discharge and protect others. Non N95 masks were originally not recommended in the US due to their ineffectiveness to protect the wearer but later on US officials changed their stance seeing how well countries like Japan and S.Korea and Singapore where wearing mask is always common were doing.
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3509.50
      04-14-2020, 09:17 PM   #844
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
About twenty years ago, I was stopped at the light at La Cienega and Melrose in my Black 1997 NSX-T. License plate XTNSHN. I had two people in the passenger seat. When the light changed, I dumped the clutch and in a sliding and screaming, blue-smoking burn out, usurped the right of way of all of the cars coming towards me, and turned left onto Melrose. I left about 150 feet of ‘S’ tracks and there was so much smoke behind me that I didn’t notice the LA County Sheriff with full lights and siren behind me for two blocks, by which time I’d slowed down to about 70.

I pulled over immediately and stuck my wrists out of the window, with my license and registration held together so that the sheriff could go ahead and cuff me right away. He stood there staring at me for a moment, looked at the two passengers crammed into the single seat, took a breath, and started screaming at me. “I don’t even know where to start with you! You broke so many laws that I couldn’t even fit them on a ticket! And don’t try to deny anything!”

This went on for about two minutes. When he finally ran out of steam and said ‘Put your hands back in the car, you look ridiculous,’ I said. “You’re absolutely right. I have no defense for my behavior. I was just showing off for my two friends, I was a complete idiot. I admit everything and am at your mercy.”

He stared at me for what seemed like a minute, but was probably just a few seconds, and then said: “Go home. Go straight home. One of your friends will have to walk. If I ever catch you even one mile over the limit...”

And that was that. I have no idea why he decided to give me a break, but I sure am glad he did. Perhaps honesty is the best policy.

I haven’t had a sports car for years, but am thinking of getting a C8 Corvette. I figure I’ll get into less trouble now that I am a bit older. Lol!
He probably digged your car. Imma right sedan clan?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24973.00
      04-14-2020, 09:45 PM   #845
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Some seem to be getting tense

I was running, and a truck with 3 Hispanic yutes went by. 1 yute stuck his head out the window and yelled <blank>y. I couldn't understand and just flashed him a hang loose and kept going

Pick what you think fills the <blank>:
Fat
White
Mike

None of them works for my name unless it was Wede
Murf99314114.00
      04-14-2020, 10:22 PM   #846
Gesler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Yes, the recommendation for everyone to wear masks out doors is mainly to try to minimize asymptomatic infected people from spreading it.

If you think about it, even an N95 mask by itself won’t prevent infection as it also spreads by contact. So, unless you are gloved and suited up also, I am not sure what wearing the N95 mask alone will do.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24973.00
Murf99314114.00
      04-15-2020, 05:27 AM   #847
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Greetings,

Many F3x owners somehow got cars with pretty terrible halogen headlights. I had to do an emergency trip in a 2001 Corolla, and the headlights were as good as my 2017 ones. Thus, lots of people are putting in LED bulbs, which I assume are illegal.
What headlight mods do you find acceptable, and what mods will increase the chance of being pulled & ticketed, pls?

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 10:16 AM   #848
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Greetings,

Many F3x owners somehow got cars with pretty terrible halogen headlights. I had to do an emergency trip in a 2001 Corolla, and the headlights were as good as my 2017 ones. Thus, lots of people are putting in LED bulbs, which I assume are illegal.
What headlight mods do you find acceptable, and what mods will increase the chance of being pulled & ticketed, pls?

Murf
No officer I know truly cares to be honest. I think you're good.
Appreciate 2
Littlebear3509.50
Murf99314114.00
      04-15-2020, 10:28 AM   #849
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
The large majority of people aren't criminals.
Or perhaps the large majority of us just don't get caught? Have you considered that - we could be smart criminals. Or petty criminals. I mean, who hasn't stolen a pen or something from their employer? Hmm...it is theft under $5,000, but still theft. So maybe the large majority of us are criminals?
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24973.00
Murf99314114.00
      04-15-2020, 10:30 AM   #850
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Quote:
The large majority of people aren't criminals.
Or perhaps the large majority of us just don't get caught? Have you considered that - we could be smart criminals. Or petty criminals. I mean, who hasn't stolen a pen or something from their employer? Hmm...it is theft under $5,000, but still theft. So maybe the large majority of us are criminals?
I never said people have never committed crimes, just that they aren't criminals. There's a distinction.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
      04-15-2020, 10:36 AM   #851
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

I think much of the present drop in crime is because nobody wants to get close enough to others to commit a crime.
Also, now if you get put in a cell or jail, what are the covid risks? Some real criminals might consider this.

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 10:38 AM   #852
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I never said people have never committed crimes, just that they aren't criminals. There's a distinction.
Mrs. Merriam Webster disagrees with you

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/criminal

Maybe we are all just repressing our base instincts for now, lulling you into a false sense of security until everything truly hits the fan. Then, apocalypse now!

I for one am going to totally disregard Canada's firearms laws if it truly comes to that. Which it won't / shouldn't. But I would. And I would totally steal if there were no other options to put food on the table for my family.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 10:39 AM   #853
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
I think much of the present drop in crime is because nobody wants to get close enough to others to commit a crime.
Also, now if you get put in a cell or jail, what are the covid risks? Some real criminals might consider this.

Murf
I'm sure they do. Many people are fearful. The criminals still commit the serious felonies though.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 10:41 AM   #854
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe we are all just repressing our base instincts for now, lulling you into a false sense of security until everything truly hits the fan. Then, apocalypse now!

I for one am going to totally disregard Canada's firearms laws if it truly comes to that. Which it won't / shouldn't. But I would. And I would totally steal if there were no other options to put food on the table for my family.
I don't believe in security, so I can't develop a false sense of one. I trust few and question most; I'm naturally suspicious of people and their intentions.

As far as Merriam-Webster is concerned.......

....I'm sure the legal definition is contrary to my own. To me, criminals have an established, consistent and regular pattern of behavior that disregards written law(s); specifically those that tend to greatly impact others and have elements of fraud, fear, duress or menace. Someone who may have committed [a] crime at some point in their lives doesn't rise to that standard IMHO.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      04-15-2020, 10:56 AM   #855
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure they do. Many people are fearful. The criminals still commit the serious felonies though.
"Crimes of Passion"?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 10:58 AM   #856
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
"Crimes of Passion"?
More like "crimes of opportunity".....
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      04-15-2020, 11:38 AM   #857
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:

I'll play. So don't disagree with you and Ms Webster. I will often use her definitions on line to lay the ground work for my posts or to refute those I debate. Having said that, every statute in Canada begins with a Short Title and then "definitions", these definitions lay out specifics for the particular Act being dealt with. Having said that the Criminal Code of Canada doesn't specifically define crime or criminal. But I think lawyers would argue that you aren't a criminal until you've been convicted of a crime. I know I'm splitting hairs but Canada is such a forgiving country and society. I think this can easily become a philosophical argument/debate quickly.

Finally, you may be charged, go to trial and be acquitted (found “not guilty”). In all of these situations, you have been arrested but not convicted. You are not guilty of a crime. Conviction - A conviction means that you have been found guilty of a crime by a court or that you have agreed to plead guilty to a crime.

I for one have a real issue with criminals and liars, but who among us hasn't told a little white lie (may great big ones too) and who hasn't taken a pen from work.

Many would argue that the guy taking a pen from work doesn't believe he's committed a crime, has he formed the requeste mens rea?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 12:17 PM   #858
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'll play. So don't disagree with you and Ms Webster. I will often use her definitions on line to lay the ground work for my posts or to refute those I debate. Having said that, every statute in Canada begins with a Short Title and then "definitions", these definitions lay out specifics for the particular Act being dealt with. Having said that the Criminal Code of Canada doesn't specifically define crime or criminal. But I think lawyers would argue that you aren't a criminal until you've been convicted of a crime. I know I'm splitting hairs but Canada is such a forgiving country and society. I think this can easily become a philosophical argument/debate quickly.

Finally, you may be charged, go to trial and be acquitted (found “not guilty”). In all of these situations, you have been arrested but not convicted. You are not guilty of a crime. Conviction - A conviction means that you have been found guilty of a crime by a court or that you have agreed to plead guilty to a crime.

I for one have a real issue with criminals and liars, but who among us hasn't told a little white lie (may great big ones too) and who hasn't taken a pen from work.

Many would argue that the guy taking a pen from work doesn't believe he's committed a crime, has he formed the requeste mens rea?
Very well done! Especially the bolded. For which I have no rebuttal. But I like the subtle but important distinctions raised in the words used. I often think I could have been a successful lawyer.
Appreciate 0